Some Needed Advice

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it happened. Tiki Cat changed their formula to such a degree that my 2 girls are starting to turn up their cat noses and only eating without the joy that they were a year ago.
I called the company which lately changed hands and they told me the A--- whatever that company is that orders them to use certain things, made them add K. I guess that's what did it but I am suspicious that maybe that's only an excuse.
Whatever...
I only know I have to go through the pain of finding another brand again that they will love.
I wanted it to be Weruva but after the first few go-arounds when they seemed to devour it, they stopped dead. It took a long time for me to discover that they both loved Tiki Cat Puka Puka chicken but as soon as the name changed to Tiki Cat Luau Succulent chicken there was a slow change in their enthusiasm.
Now it takes forever for them to finish and lately there have been leftovers.
I like the ratings of Ziwipeak but they don't seem to have chicken, only meat. There is some rabbit and lamb which I guess I will try first but was wondering if any of you cat lovers might be able to suggest some top of the line no matter the cost of wet canned chicken cat foods. I've already been through some of them and they didn't pass the grade with the girls so I hope someone will suggest a few I can try that will wow them.
Thanks for any help.
Heartbroken cat mama

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I panicked as well, but if you're interested, it isn't chicken but Tiki Cat Aloha Friends doesn't have menadione - at least not that I can tell, and the other day someone else also mentioned this variety as being K3 free.
The label doesn't need to be revised to reflect any recipe changes for six months as I understand it , but still it might be worth a try for you. --(the AAFCO has specified that synthetic vitamin K needs to be added).

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats are not big fans of the regular tiki, but they still love the after dark chicken.

Mine quit wanting the weruva paw lickin chicken, but they still enjoy the chicken frick a zee and a few of the truluxe flavors.

almo nature has some complete foods now. mine like the chicken and cheese, i have not tried the others chicken and carrots or chicken and green beans yet, but i will. I have one that goes nuts over their la cucina chicken and apple, its complete as well.

against the grain, and fussie cat super premium also has some shredded chicken flavors that my guys like.

many other brands they will not eat. and everything seems to have agar-agar in it these days, and i wont feed it.

when mine get fussy i will sometimes shop at the big bad woof, you can get individual cans of a lot of the wet foods, so i pick up a few of this and that :) their site kind of stinks, i just search for wet cat food. but they have good customer service, and i always get good product, and fast shipping.

The Big Bad Woof | Pet Store & Delivery

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when mine get fussy i will sometimes shop at the big bad woof, you can get individual cans of a lot of the wet foods, so i pick up a few of this and that :) their site kind of stinks, i just search for wet cat food. but they have good customer service, and i always get good product, and fast shipping.

The Big Bad Woof | Pet Store & Delivery
They have an excellent selection. I live maybe a mile and a half from them so I haven't used online ordering. I can easily just call them to order something and they'll have it within the week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am truly grateful for such quick and kind responses. Actually Furrballsmom kind of got the idea when she mentioned menadione. That's what I was trying to say.
So if the Tiki Cat rep said that the AAFCO insists they add it (after all this time? and why??) it doesn't seem to make sense that ALL cat foods would also be required to have it. What goes? Is she putting one over on me? What is the good of K3?
Unfortunately they won't eat any fish, tuna or anything else. They like chicken. Sad that they stopped liking paw lickin' chicken by Weruva. That is really a good product.
I will try the After Dark Tiki Cat chicken.
Any comments on Ziwipeak's Moist Lamb and Rabbit? (they don't make chicken)
Once again, my thanks to all of you. It helped.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really glad it helped, and your comments/questions are so valid. I did see something that if a brand is already adding spinach or such they dont need to add synthetic k. The idiotic problem is that natural k helps with clotting, well and good, but synthetic k is processed by the body differently and is of little value.
There's my soapbox...
(Sigh)
In any case back to the matter at hand, have you looked at chicken soup for the soul cat food? I'm liking most everything about ziwipeak.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Will they eat pâté? Before I started making their food, I was feeding the girls Rawz Chicken and Chicken Liver Pâté and Turkey and Turkey Liver Pâté. Both are low carbs and decent protein although higher in calories.

Here’s the list of ingredients for the chicken from the Rawz website. I’m not going to pretend that I know what everything is (unlike what I feed them now!).

INGREDIENTS: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Fenugreek Seeds, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Vegetable Broth, Taurine, Tricalcium Phosphate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am first going to try Tiki Cat After Dark chicken and then give a try to something entirely foreign for them -- Ziwipeak Rabbit and Lamb. Being that they don't make a good chicken cat food maybe the rabbit flavor and texture would trick them into thinking there was a little chicken in it.
I wish more companies would show actual samples online of what the cat food looks like. I like that about Tiki Cat and Weruva.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love chicken, too, and they stopped eating Tiki when the recipes were changed. I would have stopped feeding Tiki anyway because of the addition of menadione/synethetic vitamin K, which I just don't quite trust. My observation (which could be very skewed based on what labels I looked at) used to be that menadione was used primarily in fish-based foods; now it's being added more often to more meat-based foods. In any case, Tiki gave our local pet food store the same AAFCO story about adding menadione. They didn't win many points from me on truthiness, though, when they changed their Gourmet Carnivore line to After Dark! (They'd told our store in November 2016 they were just going to change "packaging style". So much for that! Our cats loved some of the Gourmet Carnivore foods with liver that were completely disappeared.)

Also, it looks like one way some companies fulfill the new vitamin K rule is to use vegetable matter: if you look at these data (or these) on vitamin K, you can see that there's lot of it in plants like kale, spinach, dandelion greens, and parsley, which explains the green flecks in the Koha duck stew and Primal raw foods that we feed! I'm not a fan of vegetables for cats but I'd much rather feed foods with these low-carb greens than with menadione. I wish the choices weren't so starkly unappealing.

In any case, I hope you're able to find some good foods for your cats! Ours do like Rawz and the Koha duck stew that I mentioned is a huge favorite. They also like Nutro Natural Choice minced chicken and chunky chicken, though those foods do have gums and artificial flavoring, which some people avoid.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I hate most are the deceptions and out-and-out lies from the companies.
Now I have to go through the detestable job of deep research again until I get it right (or till they start scarfing down their food again with enthusiasm).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I hate most are the deceptions and out-and-out lies from the companies.
Now I have to go through the detestable job of deep research again until I get it right (or till they start scarfing down their food again with enthusiasm).
I know, it's beyond frustrating!

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I am giving them After Dark Tiki Cat chicken is it okay to give them an entire small 3 oz can or do I have to wean them in even though I still am using Tiki Cat product Puka Puka chicken?

mojomom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These blogs add a laugh to the day for those of us who have all gon through the finicky cat feeding problem
Part one
Is Your Cat Really a Finicky Eater? Maybe Not. - Petful
Part two
12 Tips to Get Even the Most Finicky Cats to Eat - Petful
:lol: Our girl cat is hunger striking at the moment and these articles are perfect. She won't touch her Wellness, Tiki Cat, Truluxe, or Cats in the Kitchen. I may have to dig up some Instinct Rabbit, but she has earned herself a trip to the vet just to be sure all is well. Thanks for sharing these!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't read all the replies so not sure if it was mentioned already, but Fussie Cat is a similar type of food to Tiki Cat. Most of the Fussie Cat line is fish based but there are some poultry based ones as well. My cats enjoy the chicken and duck flavor.