Some help and advice for a new kitten owner?

fifijeedz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hiya, everyone, after wanting a ragdoll kitten for years i finally got one!
unfortunately, though I have some concerns about her health and would greatly appreciate anyone who is able to give advice and send thru some tips.
I got her on Sunday (3 days ago) she is a ten-week-old ragdoll, and she hasn't pooped since! we were told she is litter trained however whenever we introduce her to her tray she walks out. we've been to the vet, and they wormed her despite her already being wormed and even told us not to be too concerned, but honestly, all she has done in the last 72 hours is puke some of her food and leak small amounts of urine on the carpet. I am building up her eating intakes as she is underweight for her age, but now I am unsure to even give her more food because she's probably really constipated, and today she has been extra tired and lethargic contra her normal self.
I am really worried, and although my mates tell me to not be concerned, her inability to use the litter tray may mean she's got some undiagnosed issues.
her litter tray is also placed in a private and low traffic area so I'm really lost.
does anyone know how I can help her use her litter tray? and how I can help her poop?

id really appreciate any responses, I'm new here to the forum and the cat community so I'm kinda stressed!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Given that you just got your kitten 3 days ago and she is extremely young, I would take this very seriously. She is a little on the young side to have been taken away from her mom as well. At her age, three days of vomiting and leaking urine, along with constipation and lethargy are huge red flags and if the vet you saw won't go further, you need to find another vet, including a consideration of a ER vet. The fact that she is not using the litterbox yet is not the biggest problem.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping that since you posted earlier in the day that you have been able to go ahead and contact your vet? I am hoping you have gotten help by now. You did not mention how much water she is drinking. Be sure to observe that as well and report it when you do see or speak to the vet. Any improvements? Hoping!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your kitten is responding negatively to being taken from her mom and her litter, and must adjust to her new circumstances. This can result in all sorts of problems the first week or two, that are not real problems - they are just adaptive problems that will go away once the kitten begins to adjust.

This is why kittens adopted in pairs suffer less - they have each other. And kittens adopted at 16 weeks do better. They’ve had mom longer.

Your new kitten will likely be fine given time. Keep us posted and don’t panic!

F fifijeedz

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I to am extremely worried about the kitten’s health. If you haven’t already take her to the vet, do so as soon as they open! At the very least they can hydrate her with some saline & if need be give her an enema. I would be seriously worried about this kitten surviving & worried it may panlokemia (which kills most kittens & puppies!!!) Have you talked to breeder yet to see if the other kittens are sick to?

About the stress; I have no idea. Except for giving her extra TLC and keeping her in one quiet room. How old exactly is your kitten? It might be worth adopting a second kitten. Kittens should be with mom until 12 weeks. They should go to homes in pairs or to homes that already have cats. Often stressed kitties relax around other cats that are calm. But all of this is secondary to making sure your kitten survives!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unfortunately, though I have some concerns about her health and would greatly appreciate anyone who is able to give advice and send thru some tips.
I got her on Sunday (3 days ago) she is a ten-week-old ragdoll, and she hasn't pooped since! we were told she is litter trained however whenever we introduce her to her tray she walks out. we've been to the vet, and they wormed her despite her already being wormed and even told us not to be too concerned, but honestly, all she has done in the last 72 hours is puke some of her food and leak small amounts of urine on the carpet. I am building up her eating intakes as she is underweight for her age, but now I am unsure to even give her more food because she's probably really constipated, and today she has been extra tired and lethargic contra her normal self.
I am really worried, and although my mates tell me to not be concerned, her inability to use the litter tray may mean she's got some undiagnosed issues.
her litter tray is also placed in a private and low traffic area so I'm really lost.
does anyone know how I can help her use her litter tray? and how I can help her poop?

id really appreciate any responses, I'm new here to the forum and the cat community so I'm kinda stressed!!!
How is your kitten doing now?

I was wondering if she had been spayed prior to you bringing her home (although, you said she was underweight, so maybe a spaying hasn't happened just yet). If she was spayed, I wonder if her inappetance, vomiting and lethargy might be from her recovering from the anesthesia during that event. Is she better now? And is she eating?

To me, if she is definitely not better by now, a vet visit is a must.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello F fifijeedz and sweet kitten! Just welcoming you to TCS and defnitely agreeing with all posters who say DIFFERENT VET, NOW, A/O!!! and please keep us informed. *PRAYERS* for your little girl to receive good treatment and to thrive!