solid stool in the morning, but loose stool in the evening

kpj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a 4-month-old kitten, currently in transition to homemade raw food (50% can food + 50% homemade food at the moment). He always goes in the morning after his first meal and the first stool is solid and just fine. However, he occasionally poops one more time (mostly in the evening, but sometimes in late morning) and the second stool is very loose. It is going on for about two weeks, and other than that he seems just fine.

Anyone experienced this? Could it be due to the raw food? We are doing a very slow transition.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, any change in diet could cause this. How was he before the change? If it continues, you might start eliminating one part of the raw food at a time, like duck one time, or any other part, and see if that helps. There may be something he is allergic to. Or give it a month and see if he gets used to whatever is giving him the problem. He doesn't get access to any cow milk products does he, like cottage cheese, milk, or cheese? That is known to cause problems. Goats milk and kitten milk replacement are fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, any change in diet could cause this. How was he before the change? If it continues, you might start eliminating one part of the raw food at a time, like duck one time, or any other part, and see if that helps. There may be something he is allergic to. Or give it a month and see if he gets used to whatever is giving him the problem. He doesn't get access to any cow milk products does he, like cottage cheese, milk, or cheese? That is known to cause problems. Goats milk and kitten milk replacement are fine.
Thanks. His poop was slightly loose before, so the "normal" one in the morning is a lot better than before. It's just that occasional loose stool that concerns me. I give him chicken meat/bone/liver + supplements and no cow milk products. As suggested, I'll watch him some more.