Solensia

mstressdolittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with Solencia and prednisolone being given concurrently?
My 17 yr old cat has IBD and now arthritis is bothering her. Manufacturer has no data because steroid action is so similar to Solencia.
Just want as much information as possible before making decision to start this line of treatment. Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: There have been various discussions on the site about using Solensia to treat arthritis in cats. I thought this thread might have some helpful information for you: Solensia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mstressdolittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like to hear good things about it, but was specifically looking for cats with IBD.
It's not uncommon in older cats, do I'm hoping someone has the experience of treating both ailments at the same time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I tried to search for "Solencia and IBD", then "Solencia and Pred", but didn't get any results. That doesn't mean there isn't anyone here who hasn't used both at the same time on their cats. I do know though, that most people aren't all that satisfied with the Solencia because it appears to lose it's effectiveness after a few months.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The correct spelling is "Solensia" and I apologize in advance that most of the "pred and Solensia" results will be from my "Introducing Betty White" thread. I can save you the trouble of reading those results. I have not started Betty on it because I have heard that gut and butt issues can be side effects of Solensia. They are also primary presentations of IBD. So until I'm positive that Betty's IBD is well-managed, I want to keep those signal channels clean. Also, I have read most of those other threads already and I didn't see any cats going past four or five shots except one which was in a study. Depending on how bad your cat's arthritis is, it may be worth a shot or three anyway.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was treated with prednisolone for many years for presumed IBD. (She never had a biopsy for a definitive diagnosis.). At the onset she had iirc mild vomiting and possibly some diarrhea, but the primary problem was that she lost a lot of weight. As long as we kept her on enough pred (2.5 mg a day) she did well.

She passed a few weeks ago at age 18. She got solensia for 6 months and I do think it helped her and it did not cause any stomach issues.

Colorado Cat Dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with Solencia and prednisolone being given concurrently?
My 17 yr old cat has IBD and now arthritis is bothering her. Manufacturer has no data because steroid action is so similar to Solencia.
Just want as much information as possible before making decision to start this line of treatment. Thanks
Yes, my vet has been treating Rosie with prednisolone for 2 years and Solensia for 7 months. The prednisolone is taken for chronic vomiting and the Solensia was give later for chronic arthritis. She takes both concurrently and when the the Solensia was added she became her old self again. I asked my vet if both could be taken concurrently and they said that it wasn't an issue. However, my experience is that of a cat owner and the vets advise was given within the context of my cats own symptoms so make sure to check with a medical professional