Solar Powered Chargers for Phones

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I live in an earthquake zone and am slowly putting together the supplies I might need if we have an earthquake. (I have more cat food than people food stored up. Of course. :lol: ) But I thought it would make sense to get a cellphone charger that would recharge itself with solar energy in case we lose power.

I’ve done some research, but there are lots of choices. I wondered if any of you have one you’ve tried (perhaps for camping, hiking or even a power outage) and the pros and cons of your model.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 different solar powered radios that also hand crank. Alas they are both carefully packed away in my go box. But they can also charge a phone. If you want to go big I highly recommend the website Goal Zero. There, you can get a portable solar battery that will not only charge a phone, but allow you to cook w/ a small plug in stove, or maybe your electric kettle, etc. They have strings of really decent solar lights for camping, and my favorite is their Lighthouse 600, a light which can also be charged on their portable battery, or hand cranked. Power lasts forever and is just GREAT.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
ALLPOWERS 288Wh 300W Portable Power Station with 100W Foldable Solar Panel, S300 Solar Generator Kit, Backup Battery for Camping Travel off-Grid, 【Shipping Separately】 - Walmart.com
This does include the solar panels they are shipped separately I don't know the reason why but you do get it.
It is a little on the bigger size but definitely worth having you can charge it a few different way solar being one.
Thank you! The size isn’t a factor because I would use it for backup in case of an extended power outage.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is a great idea... it's Winter here, but we get power failures in Summer.. I'm going to look into this too. :)