Solar Eclipse April 8th for North America

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to get to witness a solar eclipse on April 8th in North America. Here are links to show you the path of totality. NASA' site focuses on the US where as the ASC site shows where it will pass in Canada.
2024 Total Eclipse: Where & When - NASA Science
Total solar eclipse of April 8, 2024

The next solar eclipse that will be visible in North America won't be until 2044.

Here's a link on how to make your own pinhole projector.
Student Project: How to Make a Pinhole Camera | NASA/JPL Edu

If you decide to watch the eclipse...I'm sure I don't need to say this, but I will anyway...

Do NOT watch the eclipse with your naked eye.
Do NOT watch the eclipse with regular sunglasses....even with a dark tint, they will not protect your eyes.

Will you try to watch the eclipse with those special eclipse glasses? Maybe try to make your own pinhole projector? Or will you just hide and wait to see videos online when the event is done?
Do you remember or ever watched an eclipse before?

The one solar eclipse that I remember was when I was in grade school, we didn't get to watch it...with kids, I'm assuming it's a liability. The teachers closed all the drapes and we just continued with class...well sort of...we were all distracted knowing what was happening on the other side of those curtains, so there wasn't any teaching/learning going on.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have to go anywhere, as the path of totality passes right overhead. This area is expected to be a zoo, however, with Buffalo and Niagara Falls seeing the majority of the influx of gazers. Some put the crowds as high as a half-million, or possibly higher, but I'm skeptical of that. Besides, I've already seen a total eclipse, and got pictures to boot. It was 1970 in Charleston, SC, at the naval base, where my ship was in port at the time.
The way I focused my camera was to take a microscope slide and tape it to the back of the camera over the eyepiece at a 45° angle. Then I could look down at the image safely, as the majority of the light passed straight through the glass. As the camera was mounted on a tripod, I was able to track the sun during the event. It looked funny, but it worked.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen an eclipse. The last visible one was August 21, 2017 which is the day my soul mate cat died, so I was crying in my bed when it happened. I made a joke saying I hope I don't lose another animal during an eclipse. I am considering driving to see the eclipse, but I'd have to see how far it is from me.

I was born a few months after the last time Halley's Comet was near Earth (1986) and the next time it will be here is in 2061 when I'm 75, so I'm determined to live long enough to see it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have to go anywhere, as the path of totality passes right overhead. This area is expected to be a zoo, however, with Buffalo and Niagara Falls seeing the majority of the influx of gazers. Some put the crowds as high as a half-million, or possibly higher, but I'm skeptical of that. Besides, I've already seen a total eclipse, and got pictures to boot. It was 1970 in Charleston, SC, at the naval base, where my ship was in port at the time.
The way I focused my camera was to take a microscope slide and tape it to the back of the camera over the eyepiece at a 45° angle. Then I could look down at the image safely, as the majority of the light passed straight through the glass. As the camera was mounted on a tripod, I was able to track the sun during the event. It looked funny, but it worked.
We're straight in the path as well, and we're being warned that traffic could become insane and it would be best to have a few days worth of food, water, and gas just in case things get jammed up.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so cool! How exciting 🥳😄 It will actually be directly part of my area!

Will definitely make a pinhole camera. The only other eclipse I recall seeing was a Lunar one a couple of years ago.