Soft stools

missdayday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
So my cat is 9 months old.
I have concerns about his stool.
I find it to be really soft and stinky (I know it's poo, but it's like OVERLY stinky).
It's still formed turds and I have no problem to clean the litter but the turds somewhat "stick" together.
I used to feed him with Royal Canin then I changed for Oven Baked grain free whatever.
I didn't see a change.
Before switching I went to the vet and he prescribed him some pills (antibiotics I think) and put him on w canned only diet. It worked but the problem came back.
I don't have s lot of money so I wish to "solve" the problem on my own.

He is a really nervous cat (when he sleep next to me on the couch and I move a little he will jump!) but he is overall in good shape: eating well, drinking well, sleeping well and playing so I am not overly concerned.
I was just wondering if you could help me find a solution.
I don't mind trying to switch food again, maybe he is allergic to something? I don't know!

Thanks for your help guys :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stinky, soft poops is indicative of food intolerance.  I bet it's the food change, especially if you didn't make the change gradually.  He may also not be able to tolerate a completely grain-free diet.  I have one of those.

How long ago was he on the antibiotics?  That might be the culprit, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missdayday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did the change gradually and his stool were soft and stinky before changing the food.

On the antibiotics his stool were back to normal. He was on it for 5 days starting on May 25th.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might try adding some canned pumpkin to his wet food. It helped my Fernando when he was having soft stools and I'd already ruled out a health issue.

missdayday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's no longer eating wet food.
The vet "prescribed" him a wet food diet for a week but now I'm only feeding him dry food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What did your vet prescribe?  I have a cat who developed a sensitive tummy when he was about 8 months or so old.  Developed very soft, stinky poops.  Found out he couldn't tolerate the all grain-free diet we had him on.  He'd been through a couple of rounds of metronidazole which firmed up his stools, but they would come back when we stopped the meds.  The vet finally put him on prescription Royal Canin Gastrointestinal HE dry food and cleared up the poop issues in less than a week.  We still feed him grain-free wet food twice a day and mix a grain-free dry with the Rx food to this day 5 years later.  If we try changing his food, the stinky, loose poops come back.  You might want to check that food out and see if it helps.

missdayday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't remember the name but I think it was metronidazole.
I guess I will switch his food for a more sensitive stomach friendly one, hoping it will solve the problem.
Thanks a lot to everyone

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should try this product

A few months back my cat was doing smelly horrible stools. Nothing worked. Every test came back saying he was fine. I tried this. At first I had to give it to him all the time, but it stopped the soft stools and after about 3 months I stopped giving it to him. He LOVED it and ate it easily.

missdayday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys
So I called the vet and he gave me again some Metronidazole and he prescribed him some Hills Prescription Diet Digestive Care.
Well it made it worst. I don't know what to do. I will be calling the vet again but I was wondering about canned pumpkin or probiotics?

I thought about a canned diet but it's really too expensive for my budget :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, you need to have the stool checked for parasites.  Secondly, check into the special food from the vet.  We feed our guy Royal Canin Gastrointestinal HE to keep his poops good.  It's a dry food.  You could try a mix of the special diet food and what you're currently feeding and find the right balance to clear up his poop issues.  That's what we do.