Soft Litter For Arthritic Cat

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi,
Thank you for looking at this thread. I've deleted the issue because I decided on a resolution for it.

Last edited:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you treating her arthritis?

I just recently figured out that my senior gal is arthritic and finally made the connection that that was probably one of a few reasons she hated litter boxes (she was also declawed in her first home, and has a lot of anxiety issues, and hates my other two cats)

I'm finding she prefers a very low box that she can get in and out of easily, and she's really digging her Seaflex treats (made right here in our home state of Maine!) I started giving her 5 a night about a week ago and she's responding VERY well to them.

Haven't tried any new litter because I didn't wanna change too much at once on her... But I have definitely noticed she's using the box more often than not now. Used to be the opposite.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=seaflex+for+cats&index=aps&tag=&tag=thecatsite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you for the reply! Yes, I give her Duralactin for her arthritis. It helps a lot. I used to give her the more expensive Antinol for Cats, but Duralactin is much much better. Thanks for the recommendation of SeaFlex. I wonder if I could give her 1 a night of those along with the Duralactin...
I tried a box with a lower entry side, but that didn't really make any difference.
I think at this point, I might just go ahead with Better Way litter. It is too expensive for me, so I'll cut my persnal expenditures to make up for it. It makes her happy, so it's worth it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try wheat litter. It worked well for my older cat. She didn't walk far enough from the box to get the granules off her paws, and ended up swallowing some when she washed her paws. The wheat was better for her to swallow.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also try wheat litter. It worked well for my older cat. She didn't walk far enough from the box to get the granules off her paws, and ended up swallowing some when she washed her paws. The wheat was better for her to swallow.
I appreciate the tip. I've looked at wheat litter, but all those I have seen are very expensive. Do you know of one that's not too bad?

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you said you have a solve, but what if you combined a less expensive litter with the more costly one,?
Hey, now there's an idea I hadn't thought. I like pine -pellets and I like the price of it. Maybe I can put a layer of the soft Better Way on top of the pine pellets.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't price the wheat litters. The vet was very disturbed that kitty had swallowed the clay litter, so I just went and bought. I'm glad you're not in that dire a situation. It was rather frightening. This was before there were any litters other than clay and wheat, and yep, it was expensive, but there wasn't any choice. Fortunately, the clay litter passed alright. Kitty was very old and didn't walk much.

I've heard about litters made of newspaper now. I haven't tried them, but I remember my parents saying back in the day people lined the litter box with newspaper then covered the paper with either dirt or fireplace ashes. The drawback, of course, was summer, being in the south, and that you'd basically trained your cat to pee on newspapers and in the fireplace.

Good luck, hope you find a litter that's possible.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck, hope you find a litter that's possible.
Thank you! I am currently using Arm & Hammer Naturals, and it's working well...but expensive. I would continue with Better Way, but it's not available very much.