soft gray stools - any idea why?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Crumbs has been having very soft stools for the past few days, in a way I've never seen before. They look grayish, almost like clay, and smell absolutely horrible, like something died. The smell lingers for a long time after I scoop the box. Does anyone know what might cause this?

I did give her new food last week - two new kinds of canned food the same day. Bad idea, I know, but she's never had trouble switching between wet foods before so I didn't really think about it. However, the problem continued after I switched back to the food she'd been eating before.

Since yesterday morning she's been eating only turkey baby food and a very simple turkey-based dry food, and she hasn't had another poo yet. I won't know until she does whether she's improving, because she hasn't had any other symptoms.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be the food, but could be something else.  I'd switch back to the old food and see if that brings the stool back to normal consistency.  If it doesn't then I'd get to the vet for a stool sample.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did switch back to the old food. I thought she was getting better but then it happened again. Right now I have her eating the turkey baby food I mentioned, hoping it will soothe her stomach, or at least not cause further irritation.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep a close check on her for now and make sure she keeps eating, but a trip to the vet is my advice as one of the things that can cause this is liver problems and fat digestion.  There might not be other signs that you can see.  If it isn't anything  serious all good but if it is anything to do with her liver the faster you have her seen by a vet the more they will be able to do to help her.