Soft Claws/Paws Pros and Cons? Looking for advice.

glamourkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave up on them wearing the soft paws, even though I was super stoked at my kittens having glittery pink claws.  

We just clip their nails every Sunday and it's a much better option.  They don't like having to be still very much (for ANYTHING, not just for nail trims), but other than that, they're pretty good sports about it.  

There's been no more scratching of us or the walls, lol.  

Last edited:

mowkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started my Mowkie on soft claws around a month ago because she's been terrified of the nail clippers since she was itty bitty (we think it's because the people we rescued her from clipped her tail when she was a newborn, and it's left her with that fear), so clipping her claws has always been that war with me wrapping her in a blanket while she screams about nothing. Every week, I would be left feeling like crap because I was clipping my kitty's claws, and I just wanted to do something for her that would make it to where she could avoid those weekly battles.

While it was easy to get the caps onto her front paws, my kitty isn't really the best jumper, so she quickly found that without her front claws, it wasn't as easy to get to the top of her terrace. Within an hour, she was chewing on them and digging them as deep into her scratch posts as possible in hopes of getting them off. 

Now, they're all over my apartment with the broken tips of claws in them because Mowkie refuses to leave them alone. I think, honestly, that while soft paws are good for those cats that really don't mind having their paws messed with, it's certainly not for every kitty. We'll be going back to the clipping war once all of the claw caps are off. 

acb24601

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BEFORE DECLAWING: Please watch The Paw Project.  It is a documentary about how cruel declawing is and talks about how declawing your cat often causes a lot of behavioral problems (resulting in many cats being abandoned). 

acb24601

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, declawing is basically cutting their fingers off at the first knuckle!  It is very painful for them and the tendons can detach from their insertion points.

siempo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love Soft Paws. If applied properly, each time with fresh glue, they have lasted 4+ months on my 3 cats, give or take a week/claw or 2. They are especially important for me. I am waiting for an organ transplant. I will have no immune system post transplant and have been advised to foster my cats. This is not an option for me or them if I am going to have a speedy recovery and hopefully better quality of life.

siempo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that my 3 cats are indoor/outdoor spayed adults. I have 2 cat trees, 5 different scratchers, several posts, use double-sided tape on a few areas and own numerous interactive toys. I've been using soft paws for many years and have my vet's tech apply them if I can't.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that my 3 cats are indoor/outdoor spayed adults. I have 2 cat trees, 5 different scratchers, several posts, use double-sided tape on a few areas and own numerous interactive toys. I've been using soft paws for many years and have my vet's tech apply them if I can't.
I don't know if it's the best idea to use these things on cats who have access to the outdoors. If they come in contact with another animal they won't have their claws available to defend themselves and can get seriously injured. I mean.. their claws serve a purpose after all.