Soft Claws - Any Photos & Advise Pls

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
he shouldn't have a problem - i have 2 w/claws, [currently soft-pawed] & 2 without. i've never noticed that the declawed ones have a disadvantage of any kind.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

2) Once I start using Soft Paws, will I always have to use them? I don't think they're intended to be a deterrent or a learning device (not that Spike has the best learning curve to begin with ...
), but if I use them for a few years and then stop, Spike will go back to shredding the mattress again, won't he?

3) Have there been any negative experiences with Soft Paws (apart from people finding it difficult to put on their cats -- that's not likely to be a problem for us -- or having the sheaths fall off all the time)? Any allergic reactions to the glue? Any damage to the claws or the sheaths?
You don't HAVE to always use them, of course.
But I think a lot of cats get used to not hurting furniture, people, etc. with them on so don't be surprised if he shreds something once off. For example, I dont' reprimand Anya for stretching on our furniture now since she wears them and I know she's not hurting anything. Should she all of a sudden not wear them she would still stretch and scratch...only with disastrous results.

And no negative experiences so far. I know I and one other person have noted that the will sometimes get caught in things like fringe or string toys, but hopefully in everyone's kity households these items are supervised toys only. Anya just meows and looks at me to unhook her.
FYI - When the claws are fully extended, like when they're playing, the upper part of the claw not covered by the soft claw is exposed. It's this area where strings, etc can tangle/get hung.

Hope this helped!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Laureen and Emily -- I think maybe we will get Soft Paws for Spikie.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dcgirl79

As requested, here are some pictures of Soft Claws on my cat Avery.

Together with my husband, I find them rather easy to put on and the Soft Claws do a great job of protecting me!

However, my husband has been maimed 3 times on the arms, each from Avery's rear claws even with his front paws covered. After the third (and worst time which included bite wounds) we decided to cover his rear claws too.

Here's a picture of a 'discarded and used' Soft Claw, and our most recent cat attack (it better be the last!). All scratches are from REAR claws. Also note that old scars are still healing behind the new ones!:

Oh my Goodness - enough to never use this thing!!! :-)

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we used to use Soft Paws on Morgan (mainly now I just don't have the budget for them).
My only suggestion (as everyone else has given such awesome advice) is make sure to buy the right size. The third time we did Morgan I guess she had just grown out of kitten nails and two were stuck on there for something like 3 months and we could not get them off.
Eventually we got them off but poor Morgan didn't like it that much.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used them for the last month and half that we rented and we first had Lola. We were unsure how destructive she would be, and the apartment had berber carpet.
She scratches on the right things for the most part, and leaves our stuff and the woodwork alone now. Occasionally we have to reprimand her (sometimes she gets excited and wants to get Mike's speakers). But mostly she's fine.

We stopped using the soft claws because she took such joy in pulling them off. Within 5 days of doing all of her front claws, she might have 3 or 4 still on.
I don't know how she did it, but she really doesn't like to wear them.
Now we just clip her claws once a week. We also have LOTS of scratching posts and forts too. We had most of the scratchers/forts before she adopted us, and our front declawed (by previous owners) cats taught her to scratch on the right stuff.
So we didn't have to do a lot of training.

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a question..

I'm planning on getting a sphynx in a year or so and was wondering if putting soft paw on him/her would not be a good idea due to the weekly baths they need? Is there a strong type of glue that would be safe and somewhat waterproof or at least water resistant?

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ordered some (PINK
) to use on my Sphynx girl that is coming. I'll let you know how they hold up after I have used them for awhile!!

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Darling Poodles

I just ordered some (PINK
) to use on my Sphynx girl that is coming. I'll let you know how they hold up after I have used them for awhile!!
That's adorible! ^-^ Your so lucky! I feel like it's going to be forever before I get my own sphynx kitty! I haven't even found the right breeder yet..*sigh* Who's your breeder, if you don't mind my asking?

and thanks!

iwannabyourcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! First post! I found this forum while looking for info on glue that can be used for Soft Claws.

I have two sibling kittens, a girl and a boy, about 9 months old. I've been using Soft Claws with both of them for about 2 and a half months or so. They're great!

The original poster asked if they can be reused. They can... if you can find the old shed ones... I've found more or less half of them.

When the nail sheaths shed and fall off along with the soft claw covers, the sheath will still be glued tightly to the soft claw, which would make it difficult to reuse. But if you soak them in nail polish remover, you can get them clean enough to reuse. (That's why I was looking alternative glues -- I ran out of glue cos I'm reusing them!)

Before soaking them in nail polish remover, it helps to squeeze them to break up the hard glue and any glued on sheath material. Roll them round in your fingers or use a small pliers or tweazer. After doing this, you'll be able to pull out pieces of sheath and glue. It's kind of fun, actually. Then soak them in nail polish for about 20 to 30 minutes.

After soaking, you should be able to use the tweazer to lift out whatever material remains inside or around the rim of the soft claw cover. There's often a build up of gunk around the rim that can also be wiped away after a soaking. I've used nail polish remover with acetone; I don't know if non-acetone remover will work.

After soaking, the soft claw cover will be very soft, more so, I think, than an unused one. But after a while they stiffen up again -- it's possible the polish remover breaks down the plastic slightly. I'm not sure. But I've reused a few paws-worth of covers at least once, and it works great.

I'd like to find a non-toxic glue to use, although what's non-toxic for a human might not be for a much smaller animal.

I put soft claws on all the claws on the front AND rear paws of both cats. They're not crazy about the process of clipping and putting on the covers. But they don't seem to mind at all that they're on. In fact, except for the first moment or so after I apply them, they don't seem to even notice that they're there.

As someone already noted, the coverings don't interfere with their ability to retract or extend their claws, since they cover only the tips, and are nowhere near the joint. My cats still scratch on their scratching posts, and anywhere else they feel like, so it doesn't interfere with their need to scratch.

At first I noticed that they have a little less traction, like when they're running fast in circles (e.g., chasing a toy) but they accommodated themselves to that right away.

I've been handling their paws a few times every day, to get them used to it. And each soft paws session has been easier than the one before. I usually wait until they each need a few replacements and do a bunch at a time. I'm not certain, but I *think* that some of the covers from the first session, nearly three months ago, are still on... some look like they're ready to fall off, but are still holding on. I'm gonna try to keep better track of which ones I replace, just for fun.

I used to keep a collar on one of the kittens so I could tell them apart -- they're nearly identical -- but now I just rely on their differrent colored tosies... and their emerging different personalities!

I was skeptical about Soft Claws at first, but became an instant believer. I got them because I like to play with my cats but don't like getting scratched. I wish I had discovered soft claws years ago for my two previous cats. I'd have far fewer scars on my arms and legs!

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read thru this whole topic and realized that there's no link for the soft claws... I mean, it's not hard to find, just google soft claws and it's the first link... but for those who prefer not to have to search, here's the link

http://www.softclaws.com/

they even have them for dogs!!