Soft cat poop :(

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!! The title is vague but it is the exact problem I'm dealing with. I have a five-month-old kitten, and I feed her about half a cup of dry food and a can of wet food every day sectioned out into three meals. Since the day I got her, she had extremely soft poop and I'm not sure why. I have to use a separate scoop because some of her poop will fall out if I use my sifter one. Sorry if this post is considered gross to some people but I want to know why this is happening. It also smells EXTREMLY bad and I've never experienced this with my first cat.

By the way, not sure if this matters. But the wet food I feed is fussie cats tuna and chicken, so it's not really a paté or whatever else there is and more like just shredded chicken and fish. The dry food I feed is Purina pro plan live clear cuz I got allergies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Have you taken her to a vet?
Have you tried changing brands? --Of the wet food. On the other hand do you know what she was being fed before? Has she been dewormed?

Are you feeding her as much as she can eat? She needs a lot of food given in multiple small meals, as much as 4 meals of wet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's it formed in a log shape still but soft in that it's not staying together when you scoop?

If yes I have some 'bad' good news for you: it's likely a very healthy poop.

If it's not formed in a log shape and is very wet, you likely need to take a poo sample to the vet for testing for worms, etc. Or as suggested above, try changing the food :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Have you taken her to a vet?
Have you tried changing brands? --Of the wet food. On the other hand do you know what she was being fed before? Has she been dewormed?

Are you feeding her as much as she can eat? She needs a lot of food given in multiple small meals, as much as 4 meals of wet.
She's been dewormed and had as many vaccines as she can get as of now. I would take her to the vet if I could but unfortunately I am not old enough to drive or get a permit. My mom is just telling me to let it pass and that it's probably just the wet food. I have the dry food that she was fed before in my cat storage area and the wet food is the same brand she ate at her first home. All I did was just switch out the dry food. It's been about a month that I've been feeding her this new dry food and there have been no issues until now with the poop. I noticed her poop has always been somewhat loose but not to the point where it looks like there's no structure at all. Also, I feed her three times a day. 1/4 dry in the morning, 1 can wet in the afternoon, and 1/4 dry at night. I'm following as her old owner told me to do but instead of free feeding the dry food all day I separate it into meals since she's a gorge eater. If you have any suggestions on new dry food, new wet food, or how I should change her feedings pls let me know.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you switch her dry food slowly over time or all at once?

If slowly, the last but of the progression she might not have been ready for.

Either way, add some of the old stuff back in and see if the poos form up in a couple days.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you switch her dry food slowly over time or all at once?

If slowly, the last but of the progression she might not have been ready for.

Either way, add some of the old stuff back in and see if the poos form up in a couple days.
Yeah, at first I accidentally did it too quickly for her (about 6 days I believe) and she threw up so I restarted. Just barely adding more and more until the bowl was entirely her new food. This took maybe about a week and two days? But thanks for the advice, I'll try adding just a little during her next meal today :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have any suggestions on new dry food, new wet food, or how I should change her feedings pls let me know.
After you're done transitioning with the dry so that you're not doing too much at once, maybe see how fancy feast canned kitten food works for your baby :)

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After you're done transitioning with the dry so that you're not doing too much at once, maybe see how fancy feast canned kitten food works for your baby :)
Hi!! So, I didn’t switch out the dry food yet- BUT, I think I found the reason why she was having diarrhea. On Saturday I made the mistake of trusting my father with feeding her her wet food in the afternoon since I was out. So when I came home I asked him if she ate everything and he said he forgot to feed her. I was pissed but I just decided to feed her later at her nightly feeding time since it wouldn’t be too long until then. So i feed her hang out with her yada yada yada. Now this morning when i came to clean out the box I saw absolutely no diarrhea in the litter box (She doesn’t cover her poop :/) And it looked normal like when i first got her.
So i think its safe to rule out that it was the wet food.
I looked up the fancy feast you recommended but it looks like it’s a paté wet food, neither of my cats will even look at paté :( I will still buy a can to see if it works. If you or anyone else has any recommendations feel free to reply with them :)

(BTW, My kitten was fed the fussie cat food all her life, and my older cat recently started eating it because it was the only wet food she liked. (we tried multiple with the older cat but she wouldn’t touch it)
But- we ran outof the fussie cat food one day and the shipment wouldn’t come until later so we tried feeding the baby cat purinas kitten paté, but she wouldn’t eat it. We also tried friskies but they both wouldnt touch it. )

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you able to get the fussie cat again? If that's what they both like and you're more confident doesn't cause issues if I'm reading your post right, it sounds like that's your go-to food :)

I can't really think of any other food, unless you try something like Weruva with them.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to get the fussie cat again? If that's what they both like and you're more confident doesn't cause issues if I'm reading your post right, it sounds like that's your go-to food :)

I can't really think of any other food, unless you try something like Weruva with them.
Sorry if my post was confusing lol, im not good at spellchecking

But what i said was that my cats were not fed their wet food yesterday, and the kitten who was having diarrhea issues didn’t have them this morning when i came to clean out the box. Sorry for the confusion.