Socks's eye has been super watery for over a day. Can I do anything to help her?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Socrates seems to be mad that I'm paying attention to my neighbor's dog who has an eye infection. Yesterday morning she was fine, that evening her eye was watering like crazy and she had it closed. I checked and I don't see any infection or damage, just tons and tons of tears. While she's been outside a lot lately, she's only been under the deck and has been supervised. No cat fights for a while!

It's looking better tonight, but still super watery. Can I do anything for her to help? What would cause something like this? I would have thought if she just poked it, it would have cleared up by now. Although she's an amazing Demon Kitten, she doesn't make a very good pirate. Any advice for the monster?

While she's incredibly photogenic, she hates when I try to take pictures without her permission. This is the best I could get out of 30+ pictures.

IMG_20200808_182127.jpg

(I've been washing my hands VERY well before I touch my cats after chilling with the dog. No chance of spreading infection.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor love. This could be almost anything. From a bit of crud in her eye to allergies and beyond. Do you have any artificial tears? The kind with NO additives? They are basically simply normal saline (which can also be used). If so, they are safe to use for cats, and might, if it is a bit of something in there. Genteal is the brand that I keep on hand for Hekitty. Just the simple artificial tears. However, if it isn't significantly better by Monday, you'll want to see a vet as soon as you can.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could have a scratch on the cornea. Accidentally scratching the eye or getting flying debris in the eye are possibilities. You wouldn't be able to see a scratch but a vet would using special eye drops and a light. If the eye is still teary in another day or so, you should schedule a trip to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have saline water. Would it be worth it to try? It does look a lot better today. She actually has it open now and then. If she leaves it open too long it begins watering. She HAS been under a dusty deck for three days straight so dust and gunk is a good possibility.

I'll definitely make a vet appointment if it doesn't improve. Even if I can improve her comfort for a bit it would be nice.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as it is pure normal saline, with NO additives, it is worth trying. But vet Monday if it hasn't cleared up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are addatives bad for cats? The one I have is pure saline for babies.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's FINE! SOME additives are bad, which is why Visine is a no-no. But saline for babies is fine.