Socializing Some Feral Kittens

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
672F2358-947F-4DF6-B66F-4C7477CC656B.jpeg

I have a litter of “snake” babies that my boyfriend and I rescued. We take in abandoned kittens, socialize them and find them forever homes.
Three are from one litter and two are from another, we are still trying to catch the last kitten from the second litter mentioned although she might be too feral now to catch. We’ve been trying for a while now but she’s too light to trigger our traps.
Anyways, these little babies are still very scared and feral and it’s been over two weeks since we’ve had them. One has warmed up to us, his name is Adder, but the rest Run and hiss at us. We spend a lot of time in the kitten room talking to them and just letting them come out and sniff us.
Just looking for some advice in case there’s some methods I can try to socialize them, I’ve worked with many feral kittens and socialized them but I’m also going to the beach in two weeks and don’t want all my progress to go away when I’m gone for a week.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great video that gives awesome tips on socializing feral kittens. It's a multi part video series that starts with the rescue of the kittens and goes on to socializing tips. Maybe you can pick up some tips there.

What are you planning to do with the kittens while you are gone? Since the trip is soon, you may need to have someone in who will also continue to work with the kittens. Being away may likely cause a set back.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is a great video that gives awesome tips on socializing feral kittens. It's a multi part video series that starts with the rescue of the kittens and goes on to socializing tips. Maybe you can pick up some tips there.

What are you planning to do with the kittens while you are gone? Since the trip is soon, you may need to have someone in who will also continue to work with the kittens. Being away may likely cause a set back.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague
Thank you, I’ll check out the video after work!

My brother is going to be checking on them while I’m gone, he’s used to being around kittens as well and will spend some time with them and play with them. I’m worried it will cause a setback, we weren’t planning on taking any kittens so soon before our trip but these little ones needed help and I am terribly at saying no!

I’m debating getting them at least a fecal test done a while, and Adder his shots since he’s tame, so I can at least find a home for Adder a while when he’s old enough and has his vaccinations. This will also give us more time to work with the others.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all - - I want to say how wonderful of you to have cared so much about feral kitties -- AND to have done something about it! (far too many people just turn a blind eye :angryfire:).

That's great you've gotten so many already! And they're ADORABLE!!!! Definitely don't give up on the last baby - they're so young he likely won't last long out there alone (and I do know you're trying!!). It sounds like you might need another type of trap (such as a drop trap, etc.) if he's too small to trigger the trip plate. Here's a link to a page from a good TNR group - - the link below gives good trapping tips - - including how to use a drop trap.

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Trapper Tips

The videos shadowsrescue shadowsrescue posted (and the group that has that web page is very good at what they do - so poking around on that site is a good idea!) are chock full of great info on working with feral kittens.

Of course this site (and this forum in particular) is FULL of people who've been in your shoes so they can also offer advice (AND big shoulders to lean on when you feel overwhelmed!).

If you haven't checked it out yet - Alley Cat Allies website (www.alleycat.org) is a great site to look at (I've put the link below from their site). They're one of the original organizations that got the word out about TNR. Sometimes they'll actually talk to you on the phone about issues you're having with TNRing. When years ago I started TNRing - - I had some very helpful conversations with people there - - talking me down off the ledge when I felt out of my league and panicked . It's possible they don't answer as many phone calls now - - but if they do, calling them is something you might consider. Here's a link from their site - since you've trapped and socialized before, you might know alot of the info already, but I'd still recommend checking them out! The second link is specifically oriented toward trapping kittens (and addresses the trip plate issue).

How to Help Community Cats: A Step-by-Step Guide to Trap-Neuter Return

Trapping Mom and Kittens

As far as being on vacation (boy would i love one too!!!! can I come? ;) ) - - trapping the lone one before you leave should be probably the biggest priority. Just from a survival standpoint. And having your brother - who knows cats - to watch them is great. If he hasn't watched feral kittens yet, I'd suggest talking to him about specific ways to interact with them, so that they're helped (vs set back) when you're gone. Things like speaking in a high voice, being low (as in on the floor) when he feeds them, etc. Having him come over and come in WITH you a few times before you leave would help too!

And even if they're set back while you're gone - - - it likely won't be by much. With ferals it always seems to be two steps forward/three steps back (but if it was easy - everyone would do it right? :p).

Keep us posted!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all - - I want to say how wonderful of you to have cared so much about feral kitties -- AND to have done something about it! (far too many people just turn a blind eye :angryfire:).

That's great you've gotten so many already! And they're ADORABLE!!!! Definitely don't give up on the last baby - they're so young he likely won't last long out there alone (and I do know you're trying!!). It sounds like you might need another type of trap (such as a drop trap, etc.) if he's too small to trigger the trip plate. Here's a link to a page from a good TNR group - - the link below gives good trapping tips - - including how to use a drop trap.

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Trapper Tips

The videos shadowsrescue shadowsrescue posted (and the group that has that web page is very good at what they do - so poking around on that site is a good idea!) are chock full of great info on working with feral kittens.

Of course this site (and this forum in particular) is FULL of people who've been in your shoes so they can also offer advice (AND big shoulders to lean on when you feel overwhelmed!).

If you haven't checked it out yet - Alley Cat Allies website (www.alleycat.org) is a great site to look at (I've put the link below from their site). They're one of the original organizations that got the word out about TNR. Sometimes they'll actually talk to you on the phone about issues you're having with TNRing. When years ago I started TNRing - - I had some very helpful conversations with people there - - talking me down off the ledge when I felt out of my league and panicked . It's possible they don't answer as many phone calls now - - but if they do, calling them is something you might consider. Here's a link from their site - since you've trapped and socialized before, you might know alot of the info already, but I'd still recommend checking them out! The second link is specifically oriented toward trapping kittens (and addresses the trip plate issue).

How to Help Community Cats: A Step-by-Step Guide to Trap-Neuter Return

Trapping Mom and Kittens

As far as being on vacation (boy would i love one too!!!! can I come? ;) ) - - trapping the lone one before you leave should be probably the biggest priority. Just from a survival standpoint. And having your brother - who knows cats - to watch them is great. If he hasn't watched feral kittens yet, I'd suggest talking to him about specific ways to interact with them, so that they're helped (vs set back) when you're gone. Things like speaking in a high voice, being low (as in on the floor) when he feeds them, etc. Having him come over and come in WITH you a few times before you leave would help too!

And even if they're set back while you're gone - - - it likely won't be by much. With ferals it always seems to be two steps forward/three steps back (but if it was easy - everyone would do it right? :p).

Keep us posted!!!!!!!
Thank you for your response, I’m still trying to catch the last kitten, I see her running around and I put traps out so I’m hoping she’s heavy enough to trigger them now. I really want to get her before I leave, so she’s with her siblings and so I know she’s safe.

I want to bring my brother over before we leave so I can show him how to care for them (how I do their litter boxes, when to give them wet food, etc) just so the routine isn’t broken. I’ll make sure he spends time with them so their progress doesn’t go backwards.

And thank you for all the helpful links I’ll check them out! I’ve only been rescuing kittens for a year now but my boyfriend and I have saved and found homes for around 30 cats and kittens in that year! I love what I do and I love all my rescues, we actually ended up keeping two (one never tamed so she’s feral and loves our cats and the other we raised since a few days old and it was impossible to find her a home when we’ve had her since birth)