Socializing Recovering Feral Cat - Advice Appreciated

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
* Sorry for the long read, feel free to skip through.

For the past month, I've been caring for a very young (less than 2 years old), female, black cat. We found her in the road late one night and took her to a low-cost vet where she got a FHO surgery. To our understanding, she is a feral cat (didn't know to use the litter box was and I had to buy cat-attract litter, was very well-groomed for an outside cat, doesn't meow). However, she did let us pet her without hissing as long as we move slowly, although you could see she was merely tolerating it.

While she was on the pain medication, her body language seemed to say that she was very comfortable: she'd stretch out on her back/side in her bed, she would close her eyes and relax when we pet her, and she would take the syringe like a champ. Even off the pain medication, she is still very sweet to us; she just isn't as unconcerned. But she'll let us do things like clean her with wipes for as long as we need since she can't clean herself with her cone and sometimes she'll even eat when she catches us watching from a distance.

We understand that it isn't always going to be uphill progress, but every mishap is scary. There have been a couple happenings that I'd like to have a better understanding of.

1. She will not tolerate being picked up yet. We suspect this is likely from pain as well as general fear of us. Usually, if we can sit with her for a while, talk to her, pet her, she'll calm down enough for us to pick her up without much fuss. However, a few days ago we needed to clean her cage (she had been confined to a crate for minimal movement and likes to play around in the litter box) and she refused to get out of the cage. We couldn't let her be, since the mess was so extensive it seemed neglectful to leave her in there. We tried our best to calm her down and even left the room with a clean bed outside the cage for her to go on her own, but she wasn't having it. So my boyfriend went for it, and she ended up giving him a little scratch. We felt so bad as she's never gone to that extent. Afterwards, when he was cleaning her up, she started to lick him. Although this was very sweet and surprising, I hope she wasn't doing this as a reaction to being so scared. I was wondering if anyone has perspective on this.

2. When I read articles about socializing a feral cat, picking up the cat seems to be the next step once the cat will let you pet them. I'm primarily using this resource: https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-socialize-very-shy-or-fearful-cats that I found on this site. I'm having a hard time finding specific information on when you know it's time to move on to the next phase of the process. We've been fairly lucky since finding her as she's never been overly aggressive and has allowed us to pet her from the very beginning. But neither of us has socialized a cat before so we don't know if a neutral reaction is enough to move to the next step or if we need a significantly positive reaction (purring, pressing against us, meowing). Or if we should even expect a positive reaction so soon. She'll show us positive body language and negative at the same time. When we pet her when she's in a normal mood/less pain, she'll smell us, have both ears up, and close her eyes and relax. But then she'll start to stiffen up and give us a big stare that slowly turns into a half-eyed glare. We've been assuming that she either gets over it fast, she starts to stress, or it starts to cause her pain. But we don't know if that's normal or how to do better.

3. Her energy has seemingly declined as well. We've recently taken off her cone and placed her into our bathtub, a slightly bigger place that will make her start to move her leg, as it's been two weeks post-surgery. At first, she was so happy with the change, you could see it in her eyes. She even got up on the toilet seat the first night (bad kitty, for her leg). Now, she sleeps with her back to the door and won't look up at us when we sit next to her. Although all her other behavior is normal, she just seems a lot less curious and a lot more upset. We've been trying to give her more alone time now, since we don't want to stress her, which has helped. But we still miss her eyes peering over the edge when we walk in to spend time with her.

4. Something very random that I'm concerned about is how she'll let us touch her paws. It's a given that she is still very nervous around us still, but to my understanding, cats have very sensitive paws and most hate them being touched unless they trust you. My boyfriend isn't familiar with cats, so he didn't know and grabbed her paws to clean them, and she let him. In between the toes and everything. Even my mom's extremely loving, kissy, cuddly male cat (different house) will not let you touch his paws. Why does she let us touch her paws? She also lets us groom her tail when it's dirty. She lets him just pick it up! I was shocked when I first saw it. I hope that she doesn't feel some sort of pain or hopelessness about trying to make us stop.

Her injury makes things more difficult as we cannot allow her to move quickly and needs as peaceful of an environment as possible to heal. I don't want to put her through socialization stress while she's going through this stress. We have at least three months with her, as that is the amount of time the vet recommends she spends doing light, controlled activity. I also might have to get her spayed, but she has her vaccinations. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting with her listening to Music for Cats and it's the most relaxed I've seen her in a while, which makes me very happy.

We want to hold onto the possibility that we can keep her and not spay and relocate her. I love the idea of her being happy in some cat haven somewhere (I haven't looked into that option yet), but I'd really love it if she would stay here with us. Any advice on any of these topics is a huge help. I've been searching forums and sites for a while now trying to get the best idea of how this is likely to play out and what I can do to make the best outcome. Thank you!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Jenna, it's good of you to rescue this cat. It sounds like she'll be a lovely companion once she's healed and knows you well. I can't answer your questions, but want to comment on a few things.

It sounds like she isn't completely feral, that she must have had some contact with humans in the past. Whatever physical trauma she experienced may be causing some of the behaviors you're noticing. And ignoring you right now could be because pain meds have worn off--or is she still getting them?

The scratch your boyfriend got could have happened even if she were completely domesticated and being removed from what she felt was a safe spot, by someone she didn't know well.

I'm especially curious about why you wouldn't want to have her spayed. It's really difficult to live with an unspayed female while she's in heat and desperately trying to get outside so she can mate.

David Teie's music is wonderful. Here's something a little different that my nervous foster cats seem to like:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for helping this cat as much as you have. Like poolcat poolcat I was not sure if you intended to spay her or not. It really should be done at some point for her continued health as she grows.

I agree that she may not be entirely feral, or that she is a feral who has definite possibilities of being a pet cat. It absolutely happens.

Many cats, including cats who have been pets only for their entire lives do not like to be picked up. In the world of cats, especially ferals, they have been taught from birth that the only creatures who pick them up are their mothers and the predator that is going to kill them. It can be pretty hard wired and you can definitely adjust to this mindset. The quickest solution is to invest in rose pruning gloves or animal handling gloves which will protect your hands and upper arms. Wear a jacket if necessary. My most affectionate cat, my avatar, who is an annoying lap cat feral rescue hates to be picked up.

Cats don't like having their paws touched, especially the back one. If she does not mind it, just accept that. It will make things easier in the future if she needs her nails trimmed or her paws ever checked.

Given that she had femoral surgery, I think that a lot of what you are describing is transitionary behavior that is related to the injury and surgery. She is making fantastic progress for a cat who was picked up by you from a road. Believe me, we have members who post about rescued ferals who live under the bed for several months before beginning to make a transition.

She has to stay confined for the leg to heal, but I wonder if you sat with her more, playing Music for Cats, if she would seem more interactive. The confinement might be getting to her, but there is a much bigger issue of healing, so the best has to be made of it.

Cats can vary in their mood. Some can become overstimulate by too much touching or contact which is part of what you might be seeing. This is not a behavioral issue, but just the way that particular cat is and you will learn to read her signs as time goes on if overstimulation is part of this.

I think that you are doing a great job, that she is comfortable with you and affectionate, and that this is all going to work out. Please remember you can always come back here for more conversation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jenna, it's good of you to rescue this cat. It sounds like she'll be a lovely companion once she's healed and knows you well. I can't answer your questions, but want to comment on a few things.

It sounds like she isn't completely feral, that she must have had some contact with humans in the past. Whatever physical trauma she experienced may be causing some of the behaviors you're noticing. And ignoring you right now could be because pain meds have worn off--or is she still getting them?

The scratch your boyfriend got could have happened even if she were completely domesticated and being removed from what she felt was a safe spot, by someone she didn't know well.

I'm especially curious about why you wouldn't want to have her spayed. It's really difficult to live with an unspayed female while she's in heat and desperately trying to get outside so she can mate.

David Teie's music is wonderful. Here's something a little different that my nervous foster cats seem to like:
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. A couple of vets we took her to prior to our current one would agree with you; they think that she is a lost kitty because of how gentle she is. But she isn't microchipped and I've been checking my neighborhood for signs as people usually post but there's nothing.

She isn't on any medication right now, she's just enduring the healing process. She has a huge appetite and will practice standing in her bed during her most active times at night, which helps me not worry too much about the pain. Although the vet is comfortable giving her more if needed. I think I just need to spend more time learning her personality. Like I'm starting to realize she acts best on the strictest schedule possible. This morning I walked in, a little earlier than usual, and she gave me this half-eyed glare. After I came home and I went to check on her, she gave me a very approving, slow-blinking look. She knows how to teach me.

As for getting her spayed, I am totally for it. I will look into it, I just didn't want to put her through another stressful car ride and vet visit just yet. Her last trip to the vet, she bit two big holes in the sides of her temporary, cardboard cat carrier. I think just to have a better visual, but still very upset. Plus, I wasn't sure if it would disrupt the healing of the other surgery, but now that makes less sense that I really think about it. I'll put it at the top of my to-do list.

Thank you for your recommendation! We'll be listening to that tonight.

I've attached some photos of her, just for the heck of it. (None showing her wound, for sensitive viewers sake). Disapproving ignore.jpg Keeping a good eye while we use the shower.jpg Letting us know we've made a mistake and to leave immediately.jpg Self-made observation window.jpg
1st Image: Disapproving, disappointed ignore
2nd: Keeping a good eye while the shower is being used
3rd: Letting us know we've made a mistake and to leave immediately
4th: Self-made observation window

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on the same page as poolcat poolcat and fionasmom fionasmom this doesn't sound like a feral kitty not even a semi feral kitty. You are doing an excellent job with her especially if you are able to touch her paws.
She has been (and still going) through a lot of trauma and change so she is learning about you as well. I don't think you need to TNR her and see no reason you cannot keep her.
An important thing to remember is all cats have unique personalities and just get to learn hers.

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for helping this cat as much as you have. Like poolcat poolcat I was not sure if you intended to spay her or not. It really should be done at some point for her continued health as she grows.

I agree that she may not be entirely feral, or that she is a feral who has definite possibilities of being a pet cat. It absolutely happens.

Many cats, including cats who have been pets only for their entire lives do not like to be picked up. In the world of cats, especially ferals, they have been taught from birth that the only creatures who pick them up are their mothers and the predator that is going to kill them. It can be pretty hard wired and you can definitely adjust to this mindset. The quickest solution is to invest in rose pruning gloves or animal handling gloves which will protect your hands and upper arms. Wear a jacket if necessary. My most affectionate cat, my avatar, who is an annoying lap cat feral rescue hates to be picked up.

Cats don't like having their paws touched, especially the back one. If she does not mind it, just accept that. It will make things easier in the future if she needs her nails trimmed or her paws ever checked.

Given that she had femoral surgery, I think that a lot of what you are describing is transitionary behavior that is related to the injury and surgery. She is making fantastic progress for a cat who was picked up by you from a road. Believe me, we have members who post about rescued ferals who live under the bed for several months before beginning to make a transition.

She has to stay confined for the leg to heal, but I wonder if you sat with her more, playing Music for Cats, if she would seem more interactive. The confinement might be getting to her, but there is a much bigger issue of healing, so the best has to be made of it.

Cats can vary in their mood. Some can become overstimulate by too much touching or contact which is part of what you might be seeing. This is not a behavioral issue, but just the way that particular cat is and you will learn to read her signs as time goes on if overstimulation is part of this.

I think that you are doing a great job, that she is comfortable with you and affectionate, and that this is all going to work out. Please remember you can always come back here for more conversation.
Thank you so much. I feel a lot better knowing this information. I think I might just be overthinking it as I'm worried about being too inexperienced with outside kitties. I just made a call to her vet this morning about having her spayed, so hopefully I'll be able to proceed with it soon. And I'll be sure to make a bedtime habit of going to sit with her and playing her music. I agree 100% on that we have to make the most of her healing time. I really appreciate your informative reply. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Spay her when the vet thinks it is safe, given her recent other surgeries. You are not going to let her out and, worst case scenario, she goes into heat. It can be hard to live with a cat in heat, but it can be done and it passes; I have been there with ferals I rescued.

I really don't see fear in her eyes. She seems to understand that you are helping her and seems comfortable. She may transition to a pet very quickly. The slow blinks are very indicative of her affection for you. Some cats respond to very strict time schedules and it is a good way to train her. My ex feral house cats all have a timetable in their little heads and insist that we run on time.

Jackson Galaxy says that there are no semi ferals. Cats are either feral or not. I used to disagree with that, but as I became more experienced with strays and ferals, I think it is true. Even kittens born in a clearly feral litter will often transition to the life of a pet, as if something is different about their genetic makeup. Your cat may not even have ever been feral, but an abandoned pet or a neglected pet. Many people think cats can survive on their own once you lose interest in them. I would not really worry about an owner, especially since there is no microchip and you found her injured in a road.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy says that there are no semi ferals. Cats are either feral or not. I used to disagree with that, but as I became more experienced with strays and ferals, I think it is true. Even kittens born in a clearly feral litter will often transition to the life of a pet, as if something is different about their genetic makeup. Your cat may not even have ever been feral, but an abandoned pet or a neglected pet. Many people think cats can survive on their own once you lose interest in them. I would not really worry about an owner, especially since there is no microchip and you found her injured in a road.
Hmmmm interesting.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
* Sorry for the long read, feel free to skip through.

For the past month, I've been caring for a very young (less than 2 years old), female, black cat. We found her in the road late one night and took her to a low-cost vet where she got a FHO surgery. To our understanding, she is a feral cat (didn't know to use the litter box was and I had to buy cat-attract litter, was very well-groomed for an outside cat, doesn't meow). However, she did let us pet her without hissing as long as we move slowly, although you could see she was merely tolerating it.

While she was on the pain medication, her body language seemed to say that she was very comfortable: she'd stretch out on her back/side in her bed, she would close her eyes and relax when we pet her, and she would take the syringe like a champ. Even off the pain medication, she is still very sweet to us; she just isn't as unconcerned. But she'll let us do things like clean her with wipes for as long as we need since she can't clean herself with her cone and sometimes she'll even eat when she catches us watching from a distance.

We understand that it isn't always going to be uphill progress, but every mishap is scary. There have been a couple happenings that I'd like to have a better understanding of.

1. She will not tolerate being picked up yet. We suspect this is likely from pain as well as general fear of us. Usually, if we can sit with her for a while, talk to her, pet her, she'll calm down enough for us to pick her up without much fuss. However, a few days ago we needed to clean her cage (she had been confined to a crate for minimal movement and likes to play around in the litter box) and she refused to get out of the cage. We couldn't let her be, since the mess was so extensive it seemed neglectful to leave her in there. We tried our best to calm her down and even left the room with a clean bed outside the cage for her to go on her own, but she wasn't having it. So my boyfriend went for it, and she ended up giving him a little scratch. We felt so bad as she's never gone to that extent. Afterwards, when he was cleaning her up, she started to lick him. Although this was very sweet and surprising, I hope she wasn't doing this as a reaction to being so scared. I was wondering if anyone has perspective on this.

2. When I read articles about socializing a feral cat, picking up the cat seems to be the next step once the cat will let you pet them. I'm primarily using this resource: https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-socialize-very-shy-or-fearful-cats that I found on this site. I'm having a hard time finding specific information on when you know it's time to move on to the next phase of the process. We've been fairly lucky since finding her as she's never been overly aggressive and has allowed us to pet her from the very beginning. But neither of us has socialized a cat before so we don't know if a neutral reaction is enough to move to the next step or if we need a significantly positive reaction (purring, pressing against us, meowing). Or if we should even expect a positive reaction so soon. She'll show us positive body language and negative at the same time. When we pet her when she's in a normal mood/less pain, she'll smell us, have both ears up, and close her eyes and relax. But then she'll start to stiffen up and give us a big stare that slowly turns into a half-eyed glare. We've been assuming that she either gets over it fast, she starts to stress, or it starts to cause her pain. But we don't know if that's normal or how to do better.

3. Her energy has seemingly declined as well. We've recently taken off her cone and placed her into our bathtub, a slightly bigger place that will make her start to move her leg, as it's been two weeks post-surgery. At first, she was so happy with the change, you could see it in her eyes. She even got up on the toilet seat the first night (bad kitty, for her leg). Now, she sleeps with her back to the door and won't look up at us when we sit next to her. Although all her other behavior is normal, she just seems a lot less curious and a lot more upset. We've been trying to give her more alone time now, since we don't want to stress her, which has helped. But we still miss her eyes peering over the edge when we walk in to spend time with her.

4. Something very random that I'm concerned about is how she'll let us touch her paws. It's a given that she is still very nervous around us still, but to my understanding, cats have very sensitive paws and most hate them being touched unless they trust you. My boyfriend isn't familiar with cats, so he didn't know and grabbed her paws to clean them, and she let him. In between the toes and everything. Even my mom's extremely loving, kissy, cuddly male cat (different house) will not let you touch his paws. Why does she let us touch her paws? She also lets us groom her tail when it's dirty. She lets him just pick it up! I was shocked when I first saw it. I hope that she doesn't feel some sort of pain or hopelessness about trying to make us stop.

Her injury makes things more difficult as we cannot allow her to move quickly and needs as peaceful of an environment as possible to heal. I don't want to put her through socialization stress while she's going through this stress. We have at least three months with her, as that is the amount of time the vet recommends she spends doing light, controlled activity. I also might have to get her spayed, but she has her vaccinations. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting with her listening to Music for Cats and it's the most relaxed I've seen her in a while, which makes me very happy.

We want to hold onto the possibility that we can keep her and not spay and relocate her. I love the idea of her being happy in some cat haven somewhere (I haven't looked into that option yet), but I'd really love it if she would stay here with us. Any advice on any of these topics is a huge help. I've been searching forums and sites for a while now trying to get the best idea of how this is likely to play out and what I can do to make the best outcome. Thank you!
You can absolutely keep her, she is not really feral and she will adjust in time. Lots of feral cats can adjust too given time and with work.

The key is to accept her as she is. Don’t force anything. Get gloves and wear a jacket if it is a situation where she has to be picked up. Many cats don’t like to be picked up, even tame cats. Just let her stay where she is until she wants to leave and clean later etc. or you can coax her out with a toy, food etc. She is still adjusting, was injured and is scared at times.

My Zena who was a dumped cat was fearfully aggressive at first and had to be on meds. He was in a drop trap which helped tame him down too. Now he is a luvbug. But it took a while. I can clip his claws, brush him, pet him etc. But I only just started training him to be picked up recently. He is still skittish about it, we are taking it at his pace. I took him in in December.

Thanks for saving her ❤ she is gorgeous 😻 spend lots of time with her, read to her, play music, purrli, play with toys , catnip and treats etc.

I would get her a sturdy plastic carrier right away and still advertise her just in case, it is not likely but not everyone chips their cats and sometimes they don’t show up too, they are not fool proof unfortunately. And get her spayed asap, that will help calm her down as well.

Last edited:

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can absolutely keep her, she is not really feral and she will adjust in time. Lots of feral cats can adjust too given time and with work.

The key is to accept her as she is. Don’t force anything. Get gloves and wear a jacket if it is a situation where she has to be picked up. Many cats don’t like to be picked up, even tame cats. Just let her stay where she is until she wants to leave and clean later etc. or you can coax her out with a toy, food etc. She is still adjusting, was injured and is scared at times.

My Zena who was a dumped cat was fearfully aggressive at first and had to be on meds. He was in a drop trap which helped tame him down too. Now he is a luvbug. But it took a while. I can clip his claws, brush him, pet him etc. But I only just started training him to be picked up recently. He is still skittish about it, we are taking it at his pace. I took him in in December.

Thanks for saving her ❤ she is gorgeous 😻 spend lots of time with her, read to her, play music, purrli, play with toys , catnip and treats etc.

I would get her a sturdy plastic carrier right away and still advertise her just in case, it is not likely but not everyone chips their cats and sometimes they don’t show up too, they are not fool proof unfortunately. And get her spayed asap, that will help calm her down as well.
I have never heard of purrli before! That's so cool! Thanks for the tip!

I'm still waiting on an answer from her vet about her being spayed. I'll probably just take her to a different one with her new carrier haha. As for catnip, I'm not sure when the best time to give it to her would be. I'm planning on purchasing Feliway and I wanted to get her catnip, but I couldn't think of a good time to give it to her, she hates mess and doesn't seem confident enough to move out of her bed yet. Maybe that could be a good activity to get her out of the bed for the first time?

And I wish you nothing but progress with Zena! 🥰 He sounds like he's going to a very good boy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My advice on Feliway is to get the Optimum. I have not had luck with any other Feliway product, although many on TCS use all formulations and are happy with it. I found that Optimum was very effective though.

Some cats don't like catnip, some do. Offering some is fine and she may enjoy it.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of purrli before! That's so cool! Thanks for the tip!

I'm still waiting on an answer from her vet about her being spayed. I'll probably just take her to a different one with her new carrier haha. As for catnip, I'm not sure when the best time to give it to her would be. I'm planning on purchasing Feliway and I wanted to get her catnip, but I couldn't think of a good time to give it to her, she hates mess and doesn't seem confident enough to move out of her bed yet. Maybe that could be a good activity to get her out of the bed for the first time?

And I wish you nothing but progress with Zena! 🥰 He sounds like he's going to a very good boy.
Thanks 😀 He is great and has me wrapped around his finger now😹
You can give her the catnip any time. I usually just sprinkle it near or in their bed if they are taming or you can put it on a blanket or something like a dish outside her cage. Some cats like to eat it. I would get some wand type toys and balls/ mice etc. to encorage her to play which is a good ice breaker too. A lot of the mice and toys now are cat nip infused or you can add catnip into the ones that have a pouch they have and wash them as needed.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to put catnip on my shoes or in my lap. Kitties that like catnip and are shy or nervous tend to come and rub on my catnip shoes or lap. It’s a good start to being close and can lead later to being held and even later to being picked up. I found your posts a little late at night but I will return. So very glad you are helping and loving this kitty!

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks 😀 He is great and has me wrapped around his finger now😹
You can give her the catnip any time. I usually just sprinkle it near or in their bed if they are taming or you can put it on a blanket or something like a dish outside her cage. Some cats like to eat it. I would get some wand type toys and balls/ mice etc. to encorage her to play which is a good ice breaker too. A lot of the mice and toys now are cat nip infused or you can add catnip into the ones that have a pouch they have and wash them as needed.
Thank you for the recommendations! I wanted to buy those but I was unsure, but now I'm very excited. 😊

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like to put catnip on my shoes or in my lap. Kitties that like catnip and are shy or nervous tend to come and rub on my catnip shoes or lap. It’s a good start to being close and can lead later to being held and even later to being picked up. I found your posts a little late at night but I will return. So very glad you are helping and loving this kitty!
Thank you for the great idea! She's been progressing a lot lately and I was going to start searching the forums on here to find a post about how to interact with her more, and then I saw your reply! I think that'll be a great way for her to lightly use her leg in the little space she's allowed to have. I can't wait to try. I've been trying to be creative to find ways to making her days more colorful. She's been so patient, but she's been venturing out of the bathtub to lay on (and under!) the bathmat, so I have to take it away. I'd like to be able to take her out of the bathtub to spend time with her, and hopefully with your catnip technique that'll be the perfect way. 🥰

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve always tried to lure the ferals and strays to me rather than pursuing them if possible. Cats like to initiate contact. Lol If they think it is their idea, they are less stressed. All meat, 2nd stages baby food slightly warmed is another good lure to some. No onions, garlic or other things that are bad for kitties.
She likes to get on or under the bath mat? Lol Maybe you have a resin to remove it but if it gets her near you, might be worth leaving it maybe a nice blanket? Many cats love boxes so laying one where she can easily enter might be nice for her too.There are tons of ways to work with her. Please keep us updated.

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve always tried to lure the ferals and strays to me rather than pursuing them if possible. Cats like to initiate contact. Lol If they think it is their idea, they are less stressed. All meat, 2nd stages baby food slightly warmed is another good lure to some. No onions, garlic or other things that are bad for kitties.
She likes to get on or under the bath mat? Lol Maybe you have a resin to remove it but if it gets her near you, might be worth leaving it maybe a nice blanket? Many cats love boxes so laying one where she can easily enter might be nice for her too.There are tons of ways to work with her. Please keep us updated.
We tried the catnip but I think we caught her at a bad time - not a sniff. But I will give it a couple more go's at different times of the night over the next week. But she's also been getting out of the bathtub to lay in a corner of the bathroom that's by the entrance and I'm not sure what she likes about it. It's right by the door so it's extra loud, it's hard and cold because it's right below the air vent, and I can't imagine her liking that she's the first thing you see when you open the door. As soon as we leave the bathroom she goes right back to her bed in the bathtub. I'll put her towel down in the corner and see if she continues to lay there. Little does she know it's good for me too because it's easier to practice floor interactions with her that way. 😁

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't worry about the catnip. Some cats do not respond to it at all. Mine range from going crazy and darting all through the house after a good whiff to looking at me as if they don't understand why I am throwing something on the floor in front of them. Don't feel as if you have to give yourself another assignment to try to get her to like catnip. Cats also can be odd about where they want to sit. She may like the coolness? If this is not indicative of anything related to her condition, such as pain or hiding, it is probably not significant. Do you suspect a fever?

jenna1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry about the catnip. Some cats do not respond to it at all. Mine range from going crazy and darting all through the house after a good whiff to looking at me as if they don't understand why I am throwing something on the floor in front of them. Don't feel as if you have to give yourself another assignment to try to get her to like catnip. Cats also can be odd about where they want to sit. She may like the coolness? If this is not indicative of anything related to her condition, such as pain or hiding, it is probably not significant. Do you suspect a fever?
Haha, I can imagine the expression on their faces. 😝 ❤ My mom's cat always finds a way to pry the container from me and spill it all over the floor.
Thankfully, no fever is suspected. I've noticed that sometimes she breathes heavily, but I only hear this one or two nights a week. However, that's my only medical concern of hers. She still holds her leg and drags it when she walks, so maybe the hardness/coldness of the floor makes it feel better in some way. Or she is a little odd and I'll try to relax. 😅
In other news, her vet got back to me on getting her spayed and said that I can schedule it 60 days post surgery. Fingers crossed that the next month goes as smoothly as this month.
Thanks again for your insight! 😊