Socializing feral kittens??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the little kitters are keeping me quite busy!! I'll have a detailed update tomorrow but I just had a quick question. Do you think it is ok to clip their nails? They were clipped about 2 weeks ago when we got them by the woman at the rescue organization but are starting to get sharp again. They are doing soooo good on their socialization and I would hate to set them back! What do you think??

On a side note -- we gave them their second dose of wormer tonight and they actually did quite well. We gave them a nice baby food and pumpkin treat after and it seems they forgot rather quickly

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going well! Unfortunately, I have no experience socializing kittens while using a crate - so I'd say put out a number of litter boxes and let them run around the room!

As to the claw clipping? Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, and don't worry about how it's going to affect them. The problem we had with our kitties was that they weren't into it, and we weren't going to wrap them to get it done. So just by spending enough time with them that they'd stay asleep in our presence was the key, because we'd grab a paw, clip one nail and that was it. We'd do one nail every day. It took almost a year before they were finally OK enough with it to just sit there and let us clip all their claws - and kitties we fostered that were being adopted out we just told adoptive parents how many claws we could clip at a time, starting from when they were asleep, and let them take it from there.

I don't know if you're already doing this, but another way to help them associate you with food and good things is to get a couple of t-shirts really good and sweaty, and put one under the food dish, and leave treats at a regular time each day on the other. That way you don't have to be in the room and they'll still get the "this smell means good things" message.

Laurie

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may have figured this out already since your post was a week ago...you are the only person who can really tell when they are ready to be out of the crate. Since you are around them everyday and see how they interact with you and how they are progressing, I say just use your best judgment to decide when they are ready! Mine went from the bathtub, to the bathroom and last night to an entire bedroom! They are much happier in the room now! But I knew they were ready for that but the way they were acting towards me (full of love!).

Also, last night I had to bathe 2 of them who were covered in poo (eeww!!) and I was SO scared to do it. It worked out fine though. They were mad at me for maybe 30 minutes but then they were back to purring!!

Oh, and mine got tested for FeLV and FIV yesterday and are all negative!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I decided to let them out, and turned the cage into a nice cave for them so they had a safety zone, and now they run around the room happily, but run into the cage when I enter the room, and come out again when they realise it's me, and they generally sleep in there as well.

They're turning into very happy kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so so much for replying!! We clipped their claws last night and it went amazingly!! They didn't howl or hiss and didn't really squirm until we got to the back paws. I was so proud

As for the caging... Penelope (which is the tuxie female) will purr and purr when you come in the room in hopes you will let her out or feed her. Tank doesn't purr but he will come to the front of the cage.

They are doing really well from when we first had them. My only concern is that they still trot away from us when we try to pet them. Tank, the orange male, still hisses at my boyfriend on occasion as well.

I'm beginning to think it's my own fault
Not really thinking about it, we would hold and pet them before putting them in the cage. Could I have made them associate petting with being caged?? I think they resent us for keeping them in there. They are really good when they get free roam of the room. They spend most of their time wrestling and playing. They don't hide from us. Do you think it's time to let them have free roam?

I know it takes time but I am getting so ancy and I think I may be rushing it. I want so bad for them to snuggle and love on me!! I know they have made great progress but sometimes its such a struggle.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let mine have a whole room at around 8 weeks. But I never used a crate. I put them in a large bathroom. They went from the bathroom to a cat room and now a bedroom. In my experience kittens hate to be locked in.

prettyboy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI !!
I am at work so I did not have time to read all of this but will as soon as I
get a chance....

first let me say YAY YAY YA !!!

I am so glad you took them in !! What a sweetie you and your boyfriend are !

Second let me say that all the cats Joanne has gotten fixed for me they
have always ALL been vaccinated. Not tested, but always vaccinated.
Sometimes she worms them sometimes not.

BUT please call her and ask her if they were vaccinated and if yes with
what vaccinations. She ususally gets them done with the rabies and the
3in1 shot for distemper etc. Please call her or email her otherwise you
may accidentally have them vaccinated again which I think could kill them
or at the very least make them sick.

If this was suggested I apologize.... separating them into two separate
cages will help you socialize them. The cages can be close to each other
but having them in individual cages helps alot.
IF you don't have a second cage, let me know and if you are not too far
or can meet me half way, even in the area of where Joanne lives, I can
lend you another cage and bowls and you would only have to get another
small litterbox.

Let me know.... I will check back here later and you could also email me
if you want but sometimes emails end up in my bulk folder.
My email is [email protected] and I live in North Babylon.

Where do you live ?

prettyboy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH YEAH LOL...... I wanted to add on the delemia you are having
about separating them.... yes you can separate them and yes I know
exactly how you feel which is why personally if at all possible, I would
keep both. I have 3 and my friend has 4 so it could be I am not the
one to be giving you my opinion LOL LOL !!

But if you don't keep both it sounds like you have a great and safe
home lined up for the second one.