Socializing deaf kitten with older resident cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree Stephen.  It's not working out. I will separate them for a couple of weeks.  I just wonder if complete separation means they will become territorial in the space they are contained in?

I have three baby gates stacked on top of each other to separate them.  I feel they should still see each other.  (Am I wrong in this?)

I won't let them run loose together.  I will switch spaces for them during the day if I can coax my resident cat out from under the bed.  haha  And I still will let her have full roaming at night when I lock the kitten in the bathroom. 

Am I fooling myself this will work out? Is it possible that they won't acclimate?  If so, I wonder if I should talk to the shelter about giving him back.  I really don't want to do this.  He's just lovable...at least to me.  But I have to think about my resident cat, too.  It's so hard because I'm quite attached to the little guy now. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree Stephen.  It's not working out. I will separate them for a couple of weeks.  I just wonder if complete separation means they will become territorial in the space they are contained in?

I have three baby gates stacked on top of each other to separate them.  I feel they should still see each other.  (Am I wrong in this?)

I won't let them run loose together.  I will switch spaces for them during the day if I can coax my resident cat out from under the bed.  haha  And I still will let her have full roaming at night when I lock the kitten in the bathroom. 

Am I fooling myself this will work out? Is it possible that they won't acclimate?  If so, I wonder if I should talk to the shelter about giving him back.  I really don't want to do this.  He's just lovable...at least to me.  But I have to think about my resident cat, too.  It's so hard because I'm quite attached to the little guy now. 
I wouldn't even let them see each other.  I would give your resident cat a vacation from all this, and start all over in a week or 2 if your cat has calmed down.  How long have you had the kitten?

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had the kitten a month.

Last edited:

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is fairly new.  And in the month that I've had him home, I've caught them sitting quietly about a foot apart twice.  This is what gives me hope.  But right now everytime I let them together, he bowls her over.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is normal for it to take a few months for some cats.  I would completely separate them for a week or two as Stephen has suggested.  Good luck!!

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you say that.  I love the little guy so much.  I was afraid I might have to give him up.  I am going to separate them for a couple of weeks and not let them have access to each other.  I put nails in the door to secure the gates, so, I can't close it.  I actually need airflow to get the heat in there, so, it will have to stay open.  The cold weather is here.  I might just put a sheet over the lower section so they can't see each other.  Maybe it will help Pi.  And I still have the diffuser running in her room.  I hope it calms her. 

As soon as I put the kitten in the bathroom for the night and removed the gates, she came right out and is sitting beside me.  That's a relief. 

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm glad to hear you say that.  I love the little guy so much.  I was afraid I might have to give him up.  I am going to separate them for a couple of weeks and not let them have access to each other.  I put nails in the door to secure the gates, so, I can't close it.  I actually need airflow to get the heat in there, so, it will have to stay open.  The cold weather is here.  I might just put a sheet over the lower section so they can't see each other.  Maybe it will help Pi.  And I still have the diffuser running in her room.  I hope it calms her. 

As soon as I put the kitten in the bathroom for the night and removed the gates, she came right out and is sitting beside me.  That's a relief. 

Ok keep us updated :)

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've reintroduced them both again, and although there are skirmishes, Pi seems a little more tolerant of Minchin. He's still driven by a need to connect with her, and she's not interested.  But she has sniffed him a few times and doesn't always bolt for the bed.  She's coming out into the main apartment area to spend time with me, too.  She doesn't seem stressed out when he's stalking her.  It's only when he touches her tail or gets too close that she slaps him and hisses.  Of course, if he catches her moving from room to room, he'll leap on her.  He also follows her to the litterboxes which causes scraps.  I try to intervene whenever I see him following her to the box.

I took this pic last night.  My friend says Minchin has his full psycho face on.  haha  I love that.  It fits

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've reintroduced them both again, and although there are skirmishes, Pi seems a little more tolerant of Minchin. He's still driven by a need to connect with her, and she's not interested.  But she has sniffed him a few times and doesn't always bolt for the bed.  She's coming out into the main apartment area to spend time with me, too.  She doesn't seem stressed out when he's stalking her.  It's only when he touches her tail or gets too close that she slaps him and hisses.  Of course, if he catches her moving from room to room, he'll leap on her.  He also follows her to the litterboxes which causes scraps.  I try to intervene whenever I see him following her to the box.

I took this pic last night.  My friend says Minchin has his full psycho face on.  haha  I love that.  It fits

CONGRATS!!!!! Progress!!!