Socializing Cat with the New Puppy

chrisburke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't posted here in a long time.. but I'm here again, looking for some help.

This post is similar to other peoples posts on socializing cat and puppy.. however there is one different i've found.. which is why I'm creating my own thread.

Oscar is our cat.. He's 3 years old. He has been our only pet for the last 3 years.. and he is a suck (he's a baby and he knows it).. some of you may remember oscar from some posts I made about 2 years ago about some health issues I had with Oscar and crystals (he nearly died from them)

Click for large view

Anyway.. on to the point.. this week we got a puppy. An 8 week ok lab/shepherd mix. We brought Chloe home on Monday and Oscar hasn't come downstairs since we brought the puppy home.. other than 1 time, when he came to the bottom of the stairs, and then ran back up them, we've even had to move Oscars food and water upstairs, because he wouldn't even come downstairs to eat, and he had gone a day and a half without eating.

I've tried to bring Oscar downstairs, holding him to introduce him to Chloe, but he's not the slightest bit interested.. he just puffs himself up and hisses. Chloe is NOT high energy, infact the time I tried to introduce Oscar to her Chloe was just sleeping on the couch, and didn't even really flinch at the cat being there. The pup doesn't bark or anything, so other than the sent of the dog, there really is nothing that has happened to make Oscar not like her.. it's not like the dog chased him or anything.

I really want them to get along.. we are very much animal people, and we love our pets very much.

To be honest, I'm not really looking for them to become best buds or anything, I just want my cat to get back to normal health where he is socializing with our family again. He just stays up in our room either in his bed or under our bed all day and hardly eats anything..

Any help is appreciated.

Click for large view