socializing and sucking on blankets

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had Gizzy a little over 9 weeks now and since my awful first visit to the vet that seemed to traumatize him for weeks after I have been trying my best to help him cope with other people. So after a couple of times having friends over and Gizzy completely being mean and hateful hissing and hiding from people I think we have finally got a system in place that so far has worked wonderful. When ever people come over my dog of course starts barking like crazy and Gizzy is always one step from Harley so when guest come in we tell them to completely ignore Gizzy and let him greet new people on his terms. The first couple of times he would stay backed up against the wall and keep hissing with his back all hunched up but after a few times of him watching and observing from afar he started to sneak his way over to the couch and as long as the stranger didn't reach for him or talk to him he would eventually make it up on the couch and before we knew it he would be on there lap. Last night my best friend  came by and she was petting the dog and Gizzy was right there and she went to pet him he hissed a little and we hurried to tell her don't touch him just ignore him till he comes to you, normally it takes 30 to 45 mins for him to warm up and come to introduce himself last night he was in her lap in about 5 minutes. I am so glad he is finally getting use to people. We are so in love with this little guy and we just want to make sure we are doing everything right. The other thing I noticed more over the last 2 weeks is that he is always suckling his blanket he sleeps on and chewing on everything! Last night I bought him a couple small stuffed animals and he has not put them down especially the teddy bear he drags it by its ear all over the house. Is it normal for kittens to do that if they lose there mothers early?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, firstly it is lovely to hear your little guy has come through the trauma of his vet visit, you are being so understanding and patient, supporting Gizzy as he gets used to his new environment and learns that not all people other than you are nasty and cruel.  He is still very young and to have got this far with him is amazing.  I love that he has snuck up on to your friend's lap within 5 minutes. 

Many cats have 'lovies', or little toys / bits of fabric that they carry about like you describe.  I have a friend whose pensioner cat still does it and he has always been a confident and secure cat, just likes to carry his little friend with him when he's tired, and keeps it in his basket.  If Gizzie chooses to carry his mini-me and feel secure with it don't worry, he may grow out of it or he may continue all his life but it is a common behaviour.  Just make sure he doesn't choose things that have wires / beads or bits that could be harmful if he swallowed them, and if the filling starts to come out try to repair it or replace if you can.

As Gizzy was separated from his mum early it is more likely that he will knead and suckle but I don't think it is anything to worry about. Most cats will knead a lot even without this challenging start in their life, it is a normal behaviour, but when they loose their mum early it seems they will do it more and suckle or drool at the same time.   Mouse stayed with his mum and got to suckle until he was 15 weeks and he kneads for ages every night, plus any time he gets near a nice soft bit of fleece.  He purrs away and doesn't use his claws or drool so when he does it it's like a lovely paw massage with purring sounds to help you relax.  If it helps Gizzy relax enjoy it for what it is, and if he does it on your lap and claws dig in cover your lap with something soft and fur textured that protects you a bit while he's settling.

With the chewing, he is only 9 weeks old and will probably be teething on top of natural kitten mouth exploration of his environment and general chewing behaviours.  He will have had less chance to learn what things might harm him so make sure to try and keep things that might harm him out of the way.  If he is chewing on stuff you have to leave out then start training with 'no' and diversion tactics but don't be surprised if he has that common phenomenon of selective hearing.  If he chews on human flesh or electric cables then select another one syllable word you can use like 'Aah' or 'Ouch' and reserve that for the things he mustn't ignore.  It will be easier for him to understand that there is a difference in urgency of what you are telling him.  If you suspect he is, or might chew electric cables make sure you conceal as many cables as you can and  unplug everything not in use!  You can give him plenty of OK things to work his teeth out on like boxes and toys and hopefully that will help.

Good luck with your little guy, it sounds like you've made amazing progress already.