Socializing/Adopting Dilemma with 4 Adorable Feral Kittens Still With Mom!

Take the kittens soon or risk the wait?!

• Soon (within the next week)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait (2 more weeks)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • They need their mom! (wait until they are 10 weeks old)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mandinee1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, and thanks ahead of time for your help! We were very glad to find this forum...

My boyfriend and I live in a converted barn in PA- our living space is the downstairs, and upstairs is the large space we use for our workshops. A couple weeks ago we discovered that 4 kittens- we believe 2 males and 2 females- which we guessed were about 3-4 weeks old, had been moved into the upper space of our barn (by the same feral mother who had kittens in the hole of our walnut tree last year).

Since then, gradually and slowly, we've spent many hours each day trying to bond with them. One male is very friendly and affectionate- we have been able to pet and hold him since the beginning and he purrs loudly. The other male has slowly warmed up to us and climbs on us now, but is still very fearful and does not let us touch him. They all play with us at different times, but the two females are still very scared- they play occasionally but hide more often and certainly don't let us touch them. They all adapted easily to a litter box without coaching.

At first, whenever the mom would come to nurse, she would hiss at us once or twice, and we would leave to make her feel safe. But as we have spent more time with her around the house and feeding her, we have  started to stay when she is with the kittens and now she is very comfortable with us being there. She has started to wean them and brings them food like chipmunks and frogs. In the last couple days, the kittens have tentatively wandered outside, today more confidently. It has been a really incredible experience watching her parent, from disciplining their attitudes to teaching them how to walk down the stairs. 

But the main point we need help with is transitioning them to move into our home (downstairs in the barn). We would love to keep them all, but can only keep 2. We think they are about 6 weeks old. We are concerned both about taking them too early from their mother, but also about it becoming too late to fully socialize them, or them simply leaving the barn before we take them. We are also worried about the mother's distress when she finds 2 are taken, especially because she is outside our home all the time and could easily see right into where they would be with us. We are also worried about the kittens being distressed hearing her or their siblings so close by. At this point, we are leaning towards taking the 2 males since they are the most comfortable, though we did initially want a male and a female. Finally, we do plan to trap neuter return the cat with the help of a local organization, but we are not sure of when to do this either. 

I apologize for the length! We have constant growth in socializing them, albeit in fits and starts, but at the same time worried it isn't happening fast enough with the other there and her feral influence. That is the main point we keep debating back and forth and the main thrust of our worry, in that by leaving them with her for their own benefit, we will miss the chance to adopt them socialized. We would so greatly appreciate any advice on the best way and timing of taking 2 kittens into our home, with sensitivity to the other kittens and their mother in mind. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets begin to think aloud.

You are their main food source.  And the mom must have found you essentially docile and friendly and on the whole reliable, as she has her litter twice in your immediate vicinity.   So I dont think she plans to leave in the nearest future.   (what happened with the litter from the walnut tree??).

Second.  They are essentially weaned?  I think it is wise to spay her now.  Before you risk she becomes pregnant again.  Most people are uncomfortable with abortion, however early it is, so - dont risk the situation.   Spay.

Third.   If YOU want yourself two adorable, friendly, fully socialized kittens, take the males yes.   And let perhaps the two girls be raised and fostered with the mom, into succesful semiferales, whom manage well to live near folks.

But if you want to help them all to be socialized and adopted - take the girls.  As it is their best chance to get a good home, understanding the situation of shy cats.

They will warm up to you, dont worry.

And the boys being already more or less socialized, you will have quite easy to find adoption homes for them.

Fourth.  The girls should get an intensive training course NOW, while they are still 6 weeks.   It will become more difficult later on at 8+.   Especielly as they are of the shy segment of the cat population...

Some are naturally easy to socialize, some are not.  These here girls are not, so concentrate on them.  Perhaps even one and one.

This for the beginning...  More though will surele come in later.  And more posters.    @Mandinee1

Good luck!

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd take the whole litter from their mother now, and capture/spay the mother cat at the same time.  Release her back and she can live her life as a feral kitty.  If you wait any longer than you have then you will find it MUCH harder to tame the kittens, especially the less friendly girls.  I would not separate the kittens from each other because of the social skills they learn from their littermates, but make sure that each kitten gets lots of alone time with you and your boyfriend.  Get a flea comb and "groom" them like their mother would, wrap them up with a blanket and snuggle with them while watching tv, pet them, play with them, give them little treats, spend as much time with them as you can, both individually and as a group.  The shy ones may surprise you with how they come around with quality time.

Keep them until it's time for them to find new homes (12 weeks?), and then evaluate them to decide which ones you want to keep and which to adopt out.  You'll find that it's harder to place less social kittens, so keep an open mind to keeping the less friendly ones if you must.  You're lucky that you have an entire litter to work with- kittens will teach other kittens valuable social skills such as how to properly play with other animals and bite inhibition.  I got my cat as a very much feral 5-6 week old kitten with no mother or littermates.  She tamed VERY quickly- I brought her home in a cardboard box, and opened it to find a hissing ball of anger.  Wanting to make sure that she didn't have fleas, I scooped her up with an oven mitt to prevent bites, washed her in the sink, and wrapped her in a towel to dry.  In the hour or so that I was holding her to dry she became infinitely friendlier and more comfortable with the situation.  By the end of the day she seemed pretty happy to see me.  Unfortunately, taking her away from her cat family altogether and the fact that she didn't know anything about humans until 5-6 weeks left her a little bit lacking in social skills.  She's a super friendly cat, but gets overstimulated and somewhat bitey.  Keeping two kittens will help you with this problem as they grow.

Good luck!  I hope they all tame up nicely and find great homes!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is probably not ideal right now but taking them from mom (and having her spayed ASAP) is the best approach. I wouldn't be surprised if she really calmed down and turned into a house cat herself. She would not have had her kittens anywhere near you if she didn't trust you on some level.

Socializing them for a few more weeks will help tremendously when it comes time to find them homes. Then you can decide who will best fit into your lives.

Thank you for taking on this responsibility.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. Take in all the kittens to socialize and have momma spayed. It may surprise you which kittens end up bonding with you. Personally, I like the ones that take a bit more work. =)