Socializing A Stray/feral

paigeloga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
65CE1E28-DF68-43E5-8EFE-4CB754496C59.jpeg
During Christmas, every time I went to a local drug store I would be greeted by a lovely young cat. Fast forward feedings and hours of trap attempts, I got the baby home but she hates me. I have her in a room with dim lights and beds toys and all creature comforts. First, she hides in corner and won’t engage with me at all since I trapped her; it’s been less than a week...but meows and doesn’t want to even look in my direction. I’ve followed all the rules with a soft knock and frequent feedings but is there anything I can do to make her comfortable? I have two other cats and a dog but have separated them. I’m sticking this out till she’s adoptable or keeping her if not. I’m
Not a quitter. I’m a successful foster to kittens, but this gal is traumatized and it breaks my heart. Help! Any tips? She won’t even go near litter box. I’m gutted. Is patience all I need?

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, she's adorable! You have come to the right place for feral advice! The experts will chime in soon I'm sure. I just trapped 2 ferals (Mama and kitten) about 5 months ago. We are still working on socialization... it is slooooowwww but happening. Patience, patience, patience and 1 step forward, 2 or 3 back have been the mantra. I can suggest a Feliway diffuser and/or Flower essences to calm. Those seem to work with mine. And another tip I received from others is baby food - Stage 2 chicken (no other ingredients). Mine love it! Good luck and thank you for doing this! She will have a much better life, for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paigeloga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She eats fine and I put the diffuser in room today. It’s my office and about 8x8. I feel cruel leaving her in there. I visit 6-7 times a day for about 15 minutes. She’s hiding in corner meowing. I’m praying

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she greeted you at the store, she has some level of understanding that you are a safe person. Less than a week of being in your house is not that long in the mind of a cat who was at least semi-feral. You are doing everything the right way, but might have to be patient. She may never be one to jump in your lap and watch TV with you, but she will adapt to your house and realize she is safe. Given her life before, I would not consider a safe room with comfortable places to sleep and food to be a hardship. It is true that she is not interacting as much as she would if she were not in the room, but I would not let her out, personally. The sight of the other cats and dog might really upset her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paigeloga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want her to be comfortable. Maybe she remembers me as trapper. Idk. I’ll be patient but do you think leaving her in room is right course of action?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, thank you so much for helping her. She's gorgeous!

I'm just about to start work, so I'll come back with a longer post later. I just wanted to say that I've had feral cats hide for up to a month when I've first brought them into a safe room. Be patient! It will take time, but it will be worth it.

Try some classical harp music played at low volume in the room for her. Cats seem to like classical music and the harp is a particular favourite.

:heartshape:

More to come......

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As KrisinOhio KrisinOhio said, the watchword is patience. Think not in terms of weeks, but of months. When we took in our first 5 ferals, we had the luxury of time spent outside with them as kittens, in most cases 2 to 4 months before they followed us into the house. Still, there was an adjustment period before they fully trusted us enough to not hide. Our last feral is different, in that she was trapped, spayed, and released as a kitten. When we brought her inside, she was 4 years old, but also we had much contact with her prior. Even so she will hide on occasion.
You have a very nice-looking cat there, and thank you for giving her a home. Please keep us posted on your progress.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats do love classical music. Two of mine sit by the radio and wait for me to put it on. I kept three small kittens in a large bathroom, but not 8x8, for 5 months. Litter box was in shower stall so they had lots of floor space, food was no where near the litter, etc. My GSD had end stage degenerative myelopathy, and in fact died the day that I released them into the house. I knew that the sight of a massive dog in a cart was not going to exactly calm them down, so for that situation it was best.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a very shy semiferal 6 month old that I trapped thanksgiving week with 3 of his siblings. The other 3 have really come along and are currently in my bedroom bath area. My Shyboy is in my home office. He is a slow work in progress for sure. Still hissed at me and swats if I get too close. He purred today for the first time as I stroked him with a feather wand toy albeit he was under the chair. If your computer is in your office utube has all kinds of calming cat music that plays for 15 hrs at a time. I keep it going constantly. I also have a feliway diffuser plug in that you can get for 11 dollars on amazon. Lasts about a month. I think it helps! Good luck and thanks for saving that baby!