Socializing a shy kitten

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So... to my own surprise, I may be adopting a kitten in the next two weeks or so. For a little background, these kittens live in a house with a LOT of other cats. Like, really a lot. Right now they're confined to a single room because they're skittish and some of the older unfixed males pin the kittens (owners are working on getting them all fixed but it's gonna take time).

On the one hand, I'm hopeful that once in my comparatively calm home with just two other cats, whichever kitten I pick will open up a little. On the other hand, they're really shy. Two of the four kittens barely come out of hiding at all, and of the two that will approach me, one is scared of hands (probably because it was given medicine when it was younger; I have no reason to believe the kitten was ever hurt or abused). They'll play with a feather toy that I brought, but only one of the kittens will accept petting when not asleep; the others actively flee from it.

I guess what I'm asking is... can shy and unsociable kittens become affectionate cats? I've been visiting to play with them (they like that, at least), and I'm going to try some hand feeding and other things to get them to associate people with positive things, but I want to be realistic with my expectations. Also, in this situation would it be better to adopt sooner rather than later? The kittens look around 12 weeks to me. Normally I'd rather wait until they at least showed a little affection towards me, but I'm thinking that maybe one of them would have a better chance of becoming socialized in my home, since it's much calmer here, and the kitten could get a lot more one-on-one attention.

I want to give one of these little guys a good home, but I also know I'll be really sad if I adopt a kitten who grows up to be a cat who doesn't like me and hides all the time. This would be my first time adopting a kitten instead of a young adult cat, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do adopt! Can you take two? I have brought in completely feral cats and kittens that would not come near me but every single kitten became a snuggler. At 12 weeks of being undocialized, if they are weaned and already confined away from mom, go ahead and get the kitten/kittens. Lol There are many here who can walk you through the socializing process. Younger kittens can be easier. When you get the kitten, also confine it to a small bathroom or similar and provide a carrier or box that contains a shirt or blanket with your scent on it. Laying on the flirt in the room and allowing the kitten to investigate you with you remaining still usually works well. Putting something yimmumy on a dish on your tummy as you lay there can start things off, warm , all meat Gerber 2nd foods baby food is a great lure. Everyone here can help you as you go through the steps. How exciting! A new baby! (Or babies? ;)):clap2:

These feral kittens and mother cat played all over this human because they just figured that lump laying on the floor was part of the furniture. Lol
EF80F965-B6FE-4968-80F0-03860D9148C7.jpeg

In this shot the kitten is a blur because it didn’t know the camera was there by the dish of food on the humans chest. Lol You can do this!!
4FF0C4B0-F4EC-4C40-AC38-BF60D07C0547.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement! Unfortunately one is going to be my financial limit right now... I was originally planning on holding off on any more cats for at least another year or two (when my doctorate is finished and I'm a fully fledged pharmacist!), but given the situation I feel like adopting sooner is right. Luckily, I have two fairly young and friendly adults. They warmed up to each other within a few days (as adults) and both were well socialized to both cats and kittens before I got them, so hopefully they'll take to the little one pretty quickly. I know at least one of them should be happy to have a smaller buddy to groom and play with (they love grooming each other and me already), after proper introductions have taken place.

The momma cat(s) are still confined with them (all the unfixed females and most of the kittens are in one room to prevent any more accidents until the mothers are spayed) but they're definitely weaned, so I guess it's just a matter of getting my own home ready. My house (smallish apartment) isn't ideal for separation during introductions but I've made it work before and I can do it again. It's good to hear that standoffish kittens may still become really sweet cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age, though a little tough in the beginning, a kitten should learn quickly that you are a friend. Don't be surprised if it hides at the beginning, maybe for weeks. Its whole world is upside down and for cats it takes a while to accept change. Just sit quietly in the same room talking and leaving treats when you leave. Young kittens are much easier to socialize then older cats, with exposure and good food you will have a confident, loving cat soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear. I plan on blocking off the really tough hiding spots at first, and restricting it to alternating between the bathroom and a big dog crate I'm going to borrow (my place really isn't ideal for keeping cats separate so I have to improvise a little). I got lucky with the two I have now... they hardly hid when they moved in, and pretty much wanted to be friends with me immediately. I suspect this little kitten will be more challenging, but hopefully patience will win out. Where they are now, they tend to hide but can be lured out with a toy pretty easily.
I do feel bad separating one of them from its siblings, but I'm just worried I don't have the resources for a fourth (!) cat in a one bedroom apartment. Three is already pushing it, but this kitten is currently sharing a single bedroom with six adults and three kittens (a temporary solution to stop MORE kittens from happening) so I think by comparison it will find my apartment to be spacious enough.