Socialization and Intros for very young, injured kitten???

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to see this update...yay for Henry [emoji]128571[/emoji]!!! Poor little man has been through so much in his young life-thank you to you and your husband for giving him such great care[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

I had shoulder surgery years ago and spent six weeks with my arm imbolized in a sling 24/7. After, my arm was pretty pathetic and emaciated from no use. Muscle tone and strength came back fairly quickly...I will be hoping for the same for dear Henry.
I bet the other cats will teach Henry that biting is not ok and that Delilah will finally be able to groom him!
Thanks for the Henry update and photos [emoji]128522[/emoji]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The biteyness is the age, and he's probably teething.  Try getting him one of those canvas catnip bananas and some animal play toys, about his size, and you always use the toy to play with him, not the hand.  They have to learn that from you if they aren't learning from mama cat and siblings.

Check out this thread on the subject (post #5 is mine) 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/321360/hand-raised-bad-catty#post_4036790

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Red Top! I read through that thread and you give great advice. We're using a multi-leg Kong Wubba toy similar to the rainbow zebra and Henry loves it. We've had a breakthrough in the last 24 hours or so, in that Henry has decided that cuddling and sleeping on Mommy's lap is nice, and while he's sleepy he'll let me pet him without biting. And he purrs and purrs. I'm seeing glimpses of the sweet, purry kitten I first met at the shelter, rather than the love child of a Tasmanian Devil and a cactus that he's seemed like more recently. :-)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That little black orphan kitten also turned into a real sweet cuddle boy after they continued his training.  It does work.  Now he sleeps with them, but for quite awhile he had to sleep in his carrier, where he had always slept.  It was is kitty crate, and he knew that once he was in there, it was time for a nap, and he never fussed about it.  They like schedules and regularity.  Yours will be just fine too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We didn't have a vet appointment this week (yay for my wallet!) but I thought I'd post a Henry update anyway: he's doing GREAT! He continues to improve every day. His leg and paw look much better. He still limps a little if he's really tired, but he's walking with his foot in a more normal position. His whiskers are even growing back - of course, I knew they would, but it's nice to see.

He plays with the other cats when they're willing, but can also entertain himself with a toy. He's not annoying them *too* much. He's still bitey with human hands, but we're working on it and it's getting better. Last night he slept on the bed beside me for five hours. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

All in all, things are working out better than I could have hoped! I feel so very lucky!

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His leg and paw DO look much, much better!!!! Thanks for the Henry update and those darling photos. He looks completely blissed out in them [emoji]128571[/emoji] I'm so happy for all of you...it's so wonderful to hear a happy outcome to such a terrible beginning.