Social Security - VENT

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Um. If social security is the same as unemployment benifits, can i mention that i am actually in my 20s and on this, or will i get my head bitten off?

*shrugs*
SSI benefits are NOT the same as unemployment. SSI is an income for peeps who are disabled and no longer able to work. Unemployment is a supplement income to help you get by till you can find employment again.

The comments made regarding peeps who are getting disability benefits who don't need them were meant for those who CAN work, but who don't WANT to, and are "using" the government to support themselves. Receiving unemployment is a totally different thing..

~KK~

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SSI is more/less "disability" funded by the government - like federal welfare. You have "work disability" that is based on your work history. Its two different things. SSI is more for low income people; like the state's welfare.

Also 90% of the people get turned down on the initial filing. We have some in the family that are getting SSI and don't deserve it. Some good friends of mine (she's on work - disability) got her's approved on the initial, but we warned her it might not happen. However, she DOES deserve it - is on oxygen now.