So Worried About Fiv

fluffernutter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So hopefully this is all just me blowing things out of proportion, but I'm super worried that my cat has FIV.

This Saturday, my 3-year-old kitty, Robin Hood, is scheduled to be tested for FIV by the vet. I was shocked to hear that he had never been tested. He's definitely had tons of bloodwork over the two years that I've had him, and although I didn't know much about it till now, I always thought FIV was part of routine testing. In the meantime, I'm incredibly worried about the long-term prognosis for cats with FIV. This cat is my baby, and the thought of anything bad happening to him is devastating. I know there's no diagnosis, so I could be freaking out over nothing, but does anyone have experience with an FIV-positive cat?

I also am anxious about whether his condition could put humans at risk, namely small children (I don't have human kids yet, but am at the point in my life where it's a possibility within the next handful of years). I know FIV is not contagious in itself, but, being immunocompromised, would my kitty be more likely to pick up illnesses that could be dangerous to a little kid?

For a little background... Ever since I adopted him, Robin Hood has constantly been sick at one point or another, although, thank goodness, he's always bounced back. Here are the medical issues that have led up to this point. The worry is that FIV is the overarching cause of everything:

-- Persistent dental issues at a young age. He has gingivitis (despite my vain attempts to brush his teeth) and last March, during his first ever dental cleaning, the vet discovered that all of his molars were resorbing and had to be pulled. Now the vet believes that other teeth are developing resorptive lesions, which sadly means more dental work in the future.

-- Tentative herpes diagnosis a couple years ago by his previous vet, due to his occasional upper-respiratory infections that come out of nowhere. He'll suddenly develop cold-like symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, occasional eye discharge). Once, he was unable to open his eye for a full day, which was terrifying. However, the trouble always has seemed to resolve on its own within a few days.

-- Feline hyperesthesia diagnosis by previous vet, due to this weird twitch he occasionally gets along his back. It used to be accompanied by not-so-fun symptoms, like becoming upset with his tail and running around the house, but since having his molars removed, it thankfully has become more of an occasional twitch.

-- Transient stomach issues. He'll randomly have diarrhea or loose stools for no apparent reason, occasionally with blood included. I recently rushed him to the vet after finding a significant amount of blood in his litter box, but the physical exams and urinalysis came back normal. (He also acted completely normal, and appeared deeply insulted that I brought him to the vet!) His stomach growls a lot, and he often has gas.

Any advice or insight would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, you guys!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not be too worried! Was he an unneutered stray before you adopted him? If he was indoor since a kitten, his risk of having FIV is very low.

If not, and he does end up being FIV positive, it is not the end of the world either! My 7 year old is positive and she's healthy and happy. The asymptomatic phase can last many, many years, so most FIV positive cats that are well-taken care of have very normal lifespans.

There are not a lot of contagious diseases that can pass between cats and humans. Aside from rabies, which I'm sure he's vaccinated against, the problematic ones are all parasites---fleas, toxoplasmosis, worms, etc. If he is on a monthly flea preventative (Revolution is the best) and is indoor only, those aren't problems. Ringworm is one that is really contagious, but it usually spreads in shelter situations and won't just randomly show up in a single cat home. There are a couple of bacteria and protozoa that are latent in many cats but can be found in stool, so just being prudent about litter boxes avoids those.

Digestion issues, poor oral health, and respiratory infections are common in FIV positive cats, but they are also really common in negative cats. You can find lots of threads in these forums dealing with all of those! My cats don't have herpes virus, so I can't offer firsthand advice there, but they have the other two!

For digestive issues, I strongly recommend probiotics! Delilah, my FIV positive cat, had exasperating constipation problems for the first 6 months after I adopted her, and I cannot sing the praises of probiotics enough. Both my cats get them with every meal, and it definitely makes a huge difference. The acidophilus strain seems to work particularly well. Make sure you keep them refrigerated, because they do die off more quickly at warmer temperatures.

I have tried and failed so many times to brush their teeth, so next I'm going to try raw chunks of meat and organs. But I have been recommended a couple of supplements by my vet that work on a cellular level to fight oral inflammation: PlaqueOff, a seaweed-based powder, and Coenzyme Q10 (aka ubiquinol). The ubiquinol is also really good for many other body systems, so that one especially might be worth looking into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffernutter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the link! I did happen across it in my initial Googling, but it was good to look through again.

My current vet hasn't recommended any dietary changes, though I've just switched over to her, so I will ask what she thinks on Saturday. His previous vet did recommend bland diets at various times, when the tummy issues were bad.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many of these symptoms can be caused by stress. Have you tried running Feliway Diffusers to help him de-stress? Also, if he does have FIV, it's not as feared as it was in the past. FIV+ kitties can live very long, happy, and healthy lives. FIV+ kitties can live with non-FIV kitties in the same home and be happy and healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffernutter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not be too worried! Was he an unneutered stray before you adopted him? If he was indoor since a kitten, his risk of having FIV is very low.

If not, and he does end up being FIV positive, it is not the end of the world either! My 7 year old is positive and she's healthy and happy. The asymptomatic phase can last many, many years, so most FIV positive cats that are well-taken care of have very normal lifespans.

There are not a lot of contagious diseases that can pass between cats and humans. Aside from rabies, which I'm sure he's vaccinated against, the problematic ones are all parasites---fleas, toxoplasmosis, worms, etc. If he is on a monthly flea preventative (Revolution is the best) and is indoor only, those aren't problems. Ringworm is one that is really contagious, but it usually spreads in shelter situations and won't just randomly show up in a single cat home. There are a couple of bacteria and protozoa that are latent in many cats but can be found in stool, so just being prudent about litter boxes avoids those.

Digestion issues, poor oral health, and respiratory infections are common in FIV positive cats, but they are also really common in negative cats. You can find lots of threads in these forums dealing with all of those! My cats don't have herpes virus, so I can't offer firsthand advice there, but they have the other two!

For digestive issues, I strongly recommend probiotics! Delilah, my FIV positive cat, had exasperating constipation problems for the first 6 months after I adopted her, and I cannot sing the praises of probiotics enough. Both my cats get them with every meal, and it definitely makes a huge difference. The acidophilus strain seems to work particularly well. Make sure you keep them refrigerated, because they do die off more quickly at warmer temperatures.

I have tried and failed so many times to brush their teeth, so next I'm going to try raw chunks of meat and organs. But I have been recommended a couple of supplements by my vet that work on a cellular level to fight oral inflammation: PlaqueOff, a seaweed-based powder, and Coenzyme Q10 (aka ubiquinol). The ubiquinol is also really good for many other body systems, so that one especially might be worth looking into.
Thank you for this! It's so nice to hear a firsthand account that an FIV positive cat can live a normal life. I am glad your kitty is doing well. :)

Now that I'm reading more about it, I'm hoping that his risk of actually having FIV is pretty low, since he's indoor-only. I adopted him from a rescue when he was about a year old, but I don't think he was ever a stray (the adoption site vaguely said that he came from a home with "too many pets"), and I've never noticed any scars or marks from a fight in his previous life. I'm hoping he just has lousy genes.

Now to check out the probiotics and dental supplements on Amazon-- I thought I'd heard of everything, but those are definitely new to me! :)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
FIV isn't a death sentence!!! It cannot be transmitted to any other animals or humans--only other cats. And only by sex or deep bites. Generally if a cat is fixed, it won't be doing either of those.

At the kitty shelter I volunteer at we have a whole room devoted to FIV kitties and they're just as great and can live just as long as any other cat. I have friends who have FIV kitties living along non-FIV kitties and it's absolutely fine.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they have to see a vet with any little illness (a cold, for example) because they have a compromised immune system and a tiny little thing can blow outta proportion.

Your kitty probably doesn't even have it, but I have to advocate for the ones who do--FIV is really not a big scary monster. It's a condition that is manageable. <3

Last edited:

fallandriseandfall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My recently adopted cat tested positive for FIV, but they don't know whether it's because she was vaccinated previously (she had also been spayed before coming to the county shelter I adopted her from) or if she actually has FIV.

Nonetheless, my vet assured me it's nothing to be worried about. He said that he had a cat who lived for 18 years with it, and that I'll just need to pay close attention to her to ensure she's at optimum health. Which isn't a problem.

Admittedly, so far, she has had some hairball and constipation problems. No idea if those are connected, but I've been managing it just fine with a higher-fiber food and hairball remedy. She also seemed to have a bit of an allergic reaction to a strong-scented litter, which went away when I switched over to an unscented litter from the same brand. Like I said, I'm not sure if possibly being FIV+ makes her more sensitive to these sorts of things, but with a few little tweaks on my part, she's perfectly happy and healthy. You'll be fine!