So what's on the menu tonight?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

What are risotta cakes?
Same concept as potato cakes, except made with risotto. One of these days I'll get my risotto technique to where I want it. Until then, I usually use a pretty satisfactory box, and if I want nice risotto cakes, I do my shopping where I can get at a particularly nice Italian pasta shop that has other lovely things, too.

And for us tonight -- well, I'm doing Thanksgiving Dinner (Canada), but I'm not doing turkey, since we had that with friends yesterday. Instead, I'm doing a pork roast, with roasted potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding with sage, and a turnip casserole that Linda (Yosemite) posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago. And gravy, of course. I did apple pies yesterday, one for yesterday's dinner, the other for tonight, and there are several nice cheeses to go with it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

And for us tonight -- well, I'm doing Thanksgiving Dinner (Canada), but I'm not doing turkey, since we had that with friends yesterday. Instead, I'm doing a pork roast, with roasted potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding with sage, and a turnip casserole that Linda (Yosemite) posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago. And gravy, of course. I did apple pies yesterday, one for yesterday's dinner, the other for tonight, and there are several nice cheeses to go with it.
And I just have to say that, while the whole thing was a success, and as yummy as expected, the star of the show was the turnip casserole! As I think I mentioned in the exchange that prompted Linda to post it (somewhat longer ago than I recalled) we're not great turnip fans, but it sounded so good... and the verdict from the Boy is "What a nice thing to do to turnip! That's a keeper!!" For anyone who missed it...

Originally Posted by Yosemite

A couple years ago I did a turnip casserole to take to our family Thanksgiving day dinner. You cook and mash the turnip with a bit of butter. Put half the turnip in a glass casserole dish. Peel, core and slice a couple apples, toss them in brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon. Layer those on top of the turnip, put the remainder of the turnip on top of the apples. Make any kind of crumbly type top you like - bread crumbs or whatever your favourite topping is. I would think that crushing some seasoned croutons might work well too. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. It's very tasty and unique.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For dinner tonight I had a nice salad - baby spinach leaves, diced tomato, avocado, grilled beef, a sprinkling of parmesan and some carmelised onion to top it all off.

Just me for dinner tomorrow night so I'm thinking vege fest.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Soup and toast AGAIN. (I woke up with a cold yesterday, and am home sick today.)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's kind of miserable outside so I have been to the grocery store and will spend the afternoon cooking. Today we will be featuring cranberry corn bread, two different parsley soups and a turkey and spinach meatloaf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having pork chops tonight haven't had them for a bit so sounds good. Some potatos, greens beans, and mushroom gravy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And I just have to say that, while the whole thing was a success, and as yummy as expected, the star of the show was the turnip casserole! As I think I mentioned in the exchange that prompted Linda to post it (somewhat longer ago than I recalled) we're not great turnip fans, but it sounded so good... and the verdict from the Boy is "What a nice thing to do to turnip! That's a keeper!!" For anyone who missed it...
I'm so glad you all liked it Fran. I love veggies and often look for new ways to do them since hubby's family are not big on them. This is my way to get them to eat more and it works.
I've been told by them that if I am not making my broccoli & cauliflower casserole then not to show up.

I think I gave you the beet and pear recipe - if not let me know. Then there is the cranberry sauce made with port wine and fresh oranges and juice.

There is also an awesome mashed potato casserole with grated cheddar in the potatoes and a whipped cream topping that you cook at 200 for a fair length of time.

Gosh I always get so hungry when I read and post here.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm so glad you all liked it Fran. I love veggies and often look for new ways to do them since hubby's family are not big on them. This is my way to get them to eat more and it works.
I've been told by them that if I am not making my broccoli & cauliflower casserole then not to show up.

I think I gave you the beet and pear recipe - if not let me know. Then there is the cranberry sauce made with port wine and fresh oranges and juice.

There is also an awesome mashed potato casserole with grated cheddar in the potatoes and a whipped cream topping that you cook at 200 for a fair length of time.

Gosh I always get so hungry when I read and post here.
Oh, don't I know it!!!
And I have just finished brunch, so it's not as if I'm hungry or anything!
The Boy is still talking about the turnip this morning, and I thought I'd mention that I wished I'd known about it while Dad was still with us. I did turnip occasionally, because I knew he loved it, but he knew that it was far from our favourite, so he didn't expect it often. We'd have had this treatment, now known as Turnip Yosemite, right there in the rotation with everything else, and he'd have loved it too.

Now, what's this about beets and pears? I don't recall seeing that, and I think I'd have remembered -- yes, please!! I wouldn't say no to the cranberry sauce and the mashed potatoes either, but we're just into root veg season and I'm salivating for beets.

And you KNOW that if my nieces ever succeed in getting us to travel east again -- they're all in the Toronto area, but getting us out of our own backyard is like pulling teeth -- they'll have to do without us while we descend on you for a meal
-- or ten! (JK, we try not to be greedy.)

Reruns tonight. There's just enough left to feed the two of us once more.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, don't I know it!!!
And I have just finished brunch, so it's not as if I'm hungry or anything!
The Boy is still talking about the turnip this morning, and I thought I'd mention that I wished I'd known about it while Dad was still with us. I did turnip occasionally, because I knew he loved it, but he knew that it was far from our favourite, so he didn't expect it often. We'd have had this treatment, now known as Turnip Yosemite, right there in the rotation with everything else, and he'd have loved it too.

Now, what's this about beets and pears? I don't recall seeing that, and I think I'd have remembered -- yes, please!! I wouldn't say no to the cranberry sauce and the mashed potatoes either, but we're just into root veg season and I'm salivating for beets.

And you KNOW that if my nieces ever succeed in getting us to travel east again -- they're all in the Toronto area, but getting us out of our own backyard is like pulling teeth -- they'll have to do without us while we descend on you for a meal
-- or ten! (JK, we try not to be greedy.)

Reruns tonight. There's just enough left to feed the two of us once more.
I'll dig out those recipes and get them to you.

I would so love to have you over. What I'd love to do is do a lovely grocery shopping and then descend on my kitchen (with my new stove) and spend the afternoon just cooking. Your "boy" seems to love good food as much as mine so they would be happy to have us do just that. Even after 32+ years, he still never fails to compliment me on the meals he gets.

ETA: I have the recipes printed out and they will be mailed to you today!

I have included a carrot cake recipe with a pecan cream filling that will knock your socks off! It's the best carrot cake I've ever, ever tasted.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pulled pork sandwiches and whatever frozen veggie I can find in the freezer.
I have the pork roast in a crockpot with seasonings and ketchup. Should be nice and tender in a few hours and provide leftovers for pork tacos or carnitas

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably a sandwich - I am in class til 9pm tonight and only get a 20 minute break for dinner.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lynsey

Pulled pork sandwiches and whatever frozen veggie I can find in the freezer.
I have the pork roast in a crockpot with seasonings and ketchup. Should be nice and tender in a few hours and provide leftovers for pork tacos or carnitas
That sounds lovely. Pork is my favourite "white" meat.

Tonight we are having the other white meat - chicken thighs that I baked last evening to almost done - so will pop them back in the oven for about 15-20 minutes to let the skin get all nice and crispy again, have some fresh broccoli and baby potatoes and probably some heritage carrots.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rotissary Chicken (lemon pepper), Salad, and my garlic & dill corn (it's yummy
)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner tonight will be chicken enchiladas with lots of baby spinach and some panfried mushrooms and onions - I've also got an avocado to use up. But I think that's ample.

Kieran's not here for dinner so I want something yummy for dessert.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'll dig out those recipes and get them to you.

I would so love to have you over. What I'd love to do is do a lovely grocery shopping and then descend on my kitchen (with my new stove) and spend the afternoon just cooking. Your "boy" seems to love good food as much as mine so they would be happy to have us do just that. Even after 32+ years, he still never fails to compliment me on the meals he gets.

ETA: I have the recipes printed out and they will be mailed to you today!

I have included a carrot cake recipe with a pecan cream filling that will knock your socks off! It's the best carrot cake I've ever, ever tasted.
Mega thanks!! Yes, the Boy loves his food, and he's the best guinea pig in the world -- he'll try anything, and likes most of it. Fortunately our taste is very similar, and we're not afraid of trying stuff.

That sounds like an awesome afternoon! One of Rob's favourite sayings is, "We're a good team: You cook, We eat, I win." I assure him often that I win, too.
I'm very grateful for a guy who is easy to satisfy as long as he gets good food. I had an aunt who was an awesome cook, but who lost interest because my uncle was just not interested in anything other than basic-uncoloured-meat-and-potatoes-and-green-peas-and-raisin-pie-for-dessert, every night, and though he did remember to thank her for dinner, every night, it was always clear that what was on his plate didn't matter as long as it did not challenge him. He was a dear, but I am so glad I don't have one of him to provide for.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack took me to eat dinner with some of our friends tonight & we played trivia at the resturant. I had a yummy grilled chicken cesar salad and we all shared fried pickles & ranch (the fried pickle thing might sound odd if you're not from the South, but I promise they're amazing!!!
I've been craving them all week!!!)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Jack took me to eat dinner with some of our friends tonight & we played trivia at the resturant. I had a yummy grilled chicken cesar salad and we all shared fried pickles & ranch (the fried pickle thing might sound odd if you're not from the South, but I promise they're amazing!!!
I've been craving them all week!!!)
My daughter loves the chicken caesar salads - me not so much. I love any fried thing including pickles, zuccini, mozarella sticks, camembert . . . . .