So What Would You Do?

spitfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I hit someone's pet, I would do my best to find the owner. I would hate to think there was someone waiting for their pet to come home, not knowing what had happened. However, on saying that cats/dogs whatever shouldn't be roaming loose.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell the owner, but I'd probably be a basket case, and sobbing the whole while. It'd be a mess. I couldnt imagine getting that news. When I lost Conner over a year ago, and couldnt find him, I almost couldnt breathe I was such a wreck. I had posters up within an hour and late that night when a nice lady brought him to my house, I nearly tackled her I was so elated. I think I scared her with my tearstained hugs and exclamations of gratitude pretty much elevating her to sainthood, lol. I dont think I couldve dealt with hearing horrible news like that at that time. I couldn't imagine hearing it or having to be the bearer of bad news. Ugh.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kim, I hit a squirrel about 2 months after I got my license and started CRYING on the way to school, so I know how upsetting it is

I think I'd have to personally visit the family if the animal couldn't be saved. I'd probably be sort of in shock, though, so who knows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allie, the only other thing I ever hit was a squirrel. That was a long time ago, but I cried too.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

There are serial dogs that are constantly in the road and nipping at tyres.

If people loved their dogs they would keep them fenced up properly.
My Jess(my first puppy-a lab) was kept in a pen all of the time(potty breaks & outside time), out on a leash, never let loose, except for when she was in the house. She had a an affinity for tires I knew about. We had finally mastered the whole concept of heel, so I tested it one Friday at 1:07 pm(August 5, 2004) when I went out to get the mail. I walked 150 feet out to the mailbox. She didn't chase the first car, but the second car she did. If the SOB wasn't drunk, my baby would be alive today. She was not close enough to get hit, but he swerved right into her. He claims he never saw her, but we both had blaze orange on(she was wearing a doggie vest). Some people whose pets get hit by cars really do care & are trying to work with them. I thought I had finally trained her out of chasing cars, but it only takes once. I was standing right there watching this drunk(at one in the afternoon) hit my dog.

I know what you said wasn't aimed at me, I didn't take that wrong, but I have been trying to learn not to asusme when a dog is out in the street that the owners let it run loose...although most of them do.
The one you hit was running loose? It is sad that people don't care enough about their pets. They are living, breathing creatures that can feel the same as you & I. If you get a pet it is your responsibility to take care of him/her. I wish more people could understand that.

I will do anything to try to avoid hitting an animal. If I find one on the road & I can safely stop & pick it up, I do. I bring them home & bury them(I leave the really icky ones, or wild animals-I pick up cats mostly). I actually keep plastic bags & boxes in the trunk of my car to put bodies in. I cannot stand to see what might have been someone's pet run over time & time again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My Jess(my first puppy-a lab) was kept in a pen all of the time(potty breaks & outside time), out on a leash, never let loose, except for when she was in the house. She had a an affinity for tires I knew about. We had finally mastered the whole concept of heel, so I tested it one Friday at 1:07 pm(August 5, 2004) when I went out to get the mail. I walked 150 feet out to the mailbox. She didn't chase the first car, but the second car she did. If the SOB wasn't drunk, my baby would be alive today. She was not close enough to get hit, but he swerved right into her. He claims he never saw her, but we both had blaze orange on(she was wearing a doggie vest). Some people whose pets get hit by cars really do care & are trying to work with them. I thought I had finally trained her out of chasing cars, but it only takes once. I was standing right there watching this drunk(at one in the afternoon) hit my dog.

I know what you said wasn't aimed at me, I didn't take that wrong, but I have been trying to learn not to asusme when a dog is out in the street that the owners let it run loose...although most of them do.
The one you hit was running loose? It is sad that people don't care enough about their pets. They are living, breathing creatures that can feel the same as you & I. If you get a pet it is your responsibility to take care of him/her. I wish more people could understand that.

I will do anything to try to avoid hitting an animal. If I find one on the road & I can safely stop & pick it up, I do. I bring them home & bury them(I leave the really icky ones, or wild animals-I pick up cats mostly). I actually keep plastic bags & boxes in the trunk of my car to put bodies in. I cannot stand to see what might have been someone's pet run over time & time again.
Oh, that's so sad, I'm so sorry!
Poor puppy baby.