so what are non-whi

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know the definition of bicolored is a cat with a white base. So what are other bicolored cats called? My cat is black and brown. I called her bicolored because she has two colors at the moment it might change to complete brown. But I'm wondering if a cat is black and brown or black and grey or brown and orange. Are they still bicolored or something else? What's the correct term.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the "black and brown" cats are called tortoiseshell. If the cat only has a small bit of brown shading (like many tabbies do), that's not considered. That's just normal tabby markings.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bicolour is a plain colour plus white.

A cat with just one plain colour is called a 'self' in the UK.

What a patterened cat is called depends on the pattern.  Tabby, tortie-tabby and tortie are all possibilities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she's like a splash of brown here and there. It's a chocolate brown... She was born a solid black the brown just came in some time in February when she hit 6 months. Her tails has black swirls slightly her ears have brown at the bottom but her head is fully black. She doesn't really have dots but like splashes of brown... They're close in color it's hard to tell where which color is which. But she was brown on her entire underbelly and shoulders and rump I think it's brown and a bit of black.... Right now I  thought she was bi-colored because she has two different colors... Now I feel silly because I thought bicolored ust meant two colors.

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's brown from the root I see more

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A decent photo of your cat showing the markings clearly would be far easier to work out than a description.

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
on my avatar pretty much. But it's kinda dark but she's a cat it's not nice to put her in the light where she can barely see but her getting on her underbelly by her own will would mean she was nutts or something it's not like her to ever get on her back I can't take a photo of her on her back. Flash makes her glossy black but in the day she's brown splashed black cat.

Like I said they aren't markings... They're like she was splashed into paint.... Two on her shoulders rings on her tail a mix on her rump and some brown around her ear head area....

A description all in all is better since pictures aren't as correct. Her brown could have a reddish tone I guess.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect she's a black cat that happens to not be as black as a pedigree would be, but without seeing her or a good photo I'm not sure.

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
then why are her roots brown? Even some of her black ones are brown chocolate brown that is. She can appear actually as black as night in a picture. It's just irl it's not the same.

it's about these colors below

http://i42.tinypic.com/15ib1pz.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/11kv5ue.jpg

her brown is between these two colors. In the light it is about brown on the shoulders. In the shades it's more like chocolate. She has a lot of brown. But she has black in some places especially her head....

she looks like she has white markings on her forehead but it's actually lack of eyebrows...

her head and some other parts are this color.

http://i42.tinypic.com/315ok7s.jpg

these color except the last were all brown.

What is the second color counted for then?

Last edited:

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what are markings? When I think markings I think spots or lines. The color takes over in splashes... Her whole underbelly has gone into a chocolate brown and regular brown inbetween the colors... Her longs have gone the that color the black that is there  is rooted brown. Those two colors were chocolate and brown cats.the havanna brown is a good example...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/2057593573_3fcd5b4957.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5d/Havana_Brown.jpg/235px-Havana_Brown.jpg

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
then why are her roots brown?

Because roots are often a slightly lighter colour than the coat, and as already said she's not like a purebred who's been bred for colour.

You really need to post photos in natural light for anyone to give you any proper answers, sorry but your descriptions aren't enough to go by. All the answers that can be given already have been.

Last edited:

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they weren't brown when she was a kitten though.. I thought others had dark brown/black splashed cats. I was just wondering what they called them apparently no one does though it seems.