So....we Have A Sheep

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Don't laugh. I'm serious. A sheep found us early this afternoon. She is lying under a tree on the property behind us. I've tried to take water up to her, but we're unfamiliar, and, while she's used to people, she's not used to people she doesn't know. She has been sheared recently.

Rick has gone to every neighboring farm in the area, but nobody is missing a sheep. I called a local radio station, hoping they could get the word out about the sheep, but it's a holiday. Good luck reaching anything.

And now it's going to rain. It's been thundering for the past 10 minutes.

What do I do about a sheep???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We don't have an animal control person. We have a dog warden. I called him and left a message. But the sheep is gone. She wouldn't let us get close to her at all. And I think the thunder scared her off. We think she's a pet. She wouldn't go off and leave her herd.

My GF has a small farm; she said if we could catch Ms. Sheep, she'd take her. We can't get close.

Thanks.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have an animal control person. We have a dog warden. I called him and left a message. But the sheep is gone. She wouldn't let us get close to her at all. And I think the thunder scared her off. We think she's a pet. She wouldn't go off and leave her herd.

My GF has a small farm; she said if we could catch Ms. Sheep, she'd take her. We can't get close.

Thanks.
Well that's good.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
:lol: I thought of putting her in the McShed if we caught her. I’d stay in there with her to keep her company. She’s gone. Every time we tried to get close to her, she’d leave. I really wish she would have had some water.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:lol: I thought of putting her in the McShed if we caught her. I’d stay in there with her to keep her company. She’s gone. Every time we tried to get close to her, she’d leave. I really wish she would have had some water.
That's the first thing I thought of! You could call it the She-ep Shed!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Proof that there's a Youtube video for everything:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just a a thought--can you call a local vet who handles livestock? Maybe he or she may have an idea of who owns sheep in the area. I know Rick called farms, but maybe there's one that he didn't know about.

Since they need to be with other sheep for mental health reasons, is it possible that the sheep somehow escaped from being transported (slaughterhouse, farm?)?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once woke up to a deputy knocking on my window (he tried the door but i can't hear it from the bedroom. I have since installed a doorbell), because there were 7 or 8 sheep running around my property and he had to ask permission to enter to try to catch them. By the time I got outside they were gone so he had to try to find out where they went. I hope they got home. Silly sheep.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I once woke up to a deputy knocking on my window (he tried the door but i can't hear it from the bedroom. I have since installed a doorbell), because there were 7 or 8 sheep running around my property and he had to ask permission to enter to try to catch them. By the time I got outside they were gone so he had to try to find out where they went. I hope they got home. Silly sheep.
I've heard of counting sheep in order to get to sleep, but that's taking it too far, Willowy! :flail:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, she's gone. I don't know where she went. margecat margecat That video was fascinating! The Amish also told us that it's rare that a sheep leaves her herd. Thanks for the idea to call the vet. I'll remember that. Out vet specializes in large farm animals, so that would have been a good idea.

I told her, "Mi shed es tu shed" She just looked at me.

I don't think she was just dropped off. She seemed well taken care of and she's been recently shorn. I just felt so bad for her.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
No, not really. More confused than anything. Rick is thinking she might have been somebody's pet who got loose.

The radio station just called me back, asking for more information. I told them she was gone and I didn't know where she was. We're to call them back if she shows up again.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby girl. I hope she found her way home and it's a good home.