SO Totally Not About Cats! Lets Talk Diamonds!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a gorgeous setting! I've noticed that rings that cut straight across my finger make my fingers look even shorter than they already are. This setting would nestle onto your left ring finger beautifully.

When I got married, we belonged to a church that was down on jewelry. Engaged women wore their wrist watches on their right wrist as a signal that they were engaged. But that didn't work very well outside of the church, and not at all after we married; guys kept hitting on me in the bus and refused to believe me when I said I was happily married, so eventually I gave up and bought a ring. Mine has a large opal, in a setting that doesn't cut straight across my finger. At the time I bought it, opals were seriously undervalued, which is why I could afford it. Give me opals over diamonds any time!

As for resetting the stones in your second E ring, have you considered having them made into earrings?

Margret
No offense, but that's one strange custom! :)

As for resetting. I already own a pair of diamond studs, which are extremely good and a nice size.  My 2 other e-rings are not the same size diamonds so I wouldn't be able to make earrings out of them.  I did make one necklace of the first.  I could make another necklace, just something different than the solitaire.  Maybe some kind of drop effect instead.  I have other smaller stones which could be reused to give it more bling.  I just haven't seen anything that makes me want to spend the money to do it.  

I really do love that modern setting I posted the most out of everything I've seen but as Karen mentioned it might sit too high up.  I might get in touch with someone that does custom jewelry to see if they could replicate it but bring it down a notch. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense, but that's one strange custom! :)

As for resetting. I already own a pair of diamond studs, which are extremely good and a nice size.  My 2 other e-rings are not the same size diamonds so I wouldn't be able to make earrings out of them.  I did make one necklace of the first.  I could make another necklace, just something different than the solitaire.  Maybe some kind of drop effect instead.  I have other smaller stones which could be reused to give it more bling.  I just haven't seen anything that makes me want to spend the money to do it.  

I really do love that modern setting I posted the most out of everything I've seen but as Karen mentioned it might sit too high up.  I might get in touch with someone that does custom jewelry to see if they could replicate it but bring it down a notch. 
Agreed about the custom. When I was a girl, going to a church-run school, the new big thing in watches was pendant watches, and there was a major debate about whether they counted as watches or jewelry (as if a wristwatch isn't a bracelet)!

In general, I feel tolerant about religious customs, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, and this even applies to the customs of the church I've since left.

If I can get my camera working properly I'll post a picture of my ring; the opal isn't too high; I had the setting custom made for it, and opals are soft stones, subject to scratching. (Of course, a clear, faceted stone requires a more open setting for the light to shine through.) The camera is the real problem here; I still have to install the software for it, and we need to go car shopping today; my husband managed to total his car a couple of weeks ago. (He's all right; the car took all the damage.)

Margret

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agreed about the custom. When I was a girl, going to a church-run school, the new big thing in watches was pendant watches, and there was a major debate about whether they counted as watches or jewelry (as if a wristwatch isn't a bracelet)!

In general, I feel tolerant about religious customs, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, and this even applies to the customs of the church I've since left.

If I can get my camera working properly I'll post a picture of my ring; the opal isn't too high; I had the setting custom made for it, and opals are soft stones, subject to scratching. (Of course, a clear, faceted stone requires a more open setting for the light to shine through.) The camera is the real problem here; I still have to install the software for it, and we need to go car shopping today; my husband managed to total his car a couple of weeks ago. (He's all right; the car took all the damage.)

Margret
OH please do post a photo!

I LOVE opals!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see where the church comes from in some ways though I'm not religious. I feel like many people are buying insanely flashy rings when it should really be all about the relationship, not the bling. To be honest, I find my ring somewhat annoying even at its size since I do bang it into things (thus why I am glad about it having six prongs). My wedding ring is without any bling. I will have my engagement ring worn either on my right hand or it'll just go in my jewelry box to wait for kids (or grand kids) if they want it. 

Here's a picture of my wedding ring. It is made with mokume game, titanium, and dinosaur bone.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always liked the tri-stone (yesterday, today, tomorrow) rings. Except I wanted the outside stones to be our birthstones and the middle one a diamond. That way it would bring us both together as one.

**Note: I've been married twice and only had one engagement ring; it was a 1/4 ct cluster and I didn't pick it out, his mom did.

I have no intention of getting married again.
Good for you b

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@sivyaleah  I bought and sold antique fine jewelry at my store for many years, antique things seem to really grow on me and seeing your ring from your mom, well it's gorgeous.

Rather then it sitting in the box put away, why not change it, the band can be removed and the top can have a loop added and can be worn as a lovely pendant.

Removing the band isn't going to change the beauty of it at all, and if your mom could say her preference, I bet it would be for you to enjoy it, however that may be :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@sivyaleah  I bought and sold antique fine jewelry at my store for many years, antique things seem to really grow on me and seeing your ring from your mom, well it's gorgeous.

Rather then it sitting in the box put away, why not change it, the band can be removed and the top can have a loop added and can be worn as a lovely pendant.

Removing the band isn't going to change the beauty of it at all, and if your mom could say her preference, I bet it would be for you to enjoy it, however that may be :)
What a fantastic job!  

I would love to revamp the ring but unfortunately, I have 2 sisters who would not be pleased.  I have no kids to leave it to, so the piece would go to either of them or their one of their daughters.  They tend to be more sentimental about stuff that belonged to my mom and grandmother.  One of them has my mom's engagement ring, the other my grandmothers and all they do is sit in a box.  To me, it would make more sense to remount them into something you'd wear but, that's their choice.  As does mine 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People definitely have their own ideas about family heirlooms and they are entrenched in their positions.

I think it's remarkable what they can do with resetting stones.  I watched a special on the Smithsonian channel about the Hope diamond.  I don't remember when they did it but they had a contest where people could vote on a new setting for the Hope diamond during it's anniversary year, it's back in it's original setting now.  The man who reset it listened to Chopin while he was working on it and it took a long time.  When it was put on the new necklace it was held in place by one screw.  Of course it was only worn once by a model for photographs then it went in the display case at the Smithsonian.  I have been to the Smithsonian once and saw the Hope diamond and it is a beautiful stone.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If choosing a stone other than a diamond, I would recommend getting a stone that is hard and durable, since it will be banged a round a lot in a ring.  I would not choose a pearl for an engagement ring, nor opal (I know you have an opal ring, but opals are brittle). I LOVE emeralds, in fact, they are my favorite gemstone, but they also are a bit brittle, and often are heavily flawed with at least minor cracks.The dryness of the emerald if usually covered up by oiling, which is both an accepted and a typical treatment. If the emeralds are smallish, you probably don't need to worry. But, if you're going full-blown Liz Taylor...

IMHO, I would rather have a smaller carat weight, but better in color, clarity, etc. diamond.  DH couldn't understand that when  he wanted to buy me diamond stud earrings.

Here's a Mohs Scale of Hardness chart, which ranks gemstones according to their softness or hardness (diamond, at #10, is the hardest ; corundum is ruby and sapphire):

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryglossary/g/Mohs-Scale-Definition.htm

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love blue sapphires.  For semi-precious stones I like blue topaz and I really like aquamarine.  I think  I  just really like blue gemstones.  I bought myself an aquamarine ring a few years ago because I really wanted one.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just stumbled on this thread and read bits and pieces. I absolutely hate what they're pushing as engagement rings these days, based on what I see in the ads.  When I got my ring, we went together to pick it out. I kept vetoing what he was looking at because of the price. I'm a practical girl and I didn't want him (or us) having to pay for years on a ring.  I finally settled on a set that I just loved the look of, even though the diamond was only a chip (or very small), and it was reasonably priced.  I've occasionally thought over the years I might like to have it reset with a slightly larger stone, but it got bent several years back and I've never bothered to have it fixed. I just wear the band now, and I'm more comfortable with that.

If I were looking now, I think I might go with an Opal. Opal is my birthstone and I just love them.  A friend of mine had a pearl for her engagement ring. Sometimes if it's not a diamond, people don't realize it is an engagement ring I guess.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think engagement rings have gotten out of hand recently.  I know the wealthy have had extravagant rings made but these rings are in every jewelry store now.  I have seen some young women with these extravagant rings and I know the couple well enough to know there was insignificant debt incurred for the ring.  

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, it looks like I might be going with a pre-loved ring as they call them.  I had very high recommendations given to me of a jeweler in California who specializes in vintage/pre loved jewelry.  Some people think these have bad mojo but I don't care.  The ring apparently was made for someone who wasn't asked her preferences first.  She wore it for a short while and talked her husband into a new ring - and put this one up for consignment.  It's only a few years old.

We found a really lovely vintage inspired Ritani setting (very good maker of settings).  It's a halo, but doesn't scream halo to me; it has 2 smaller round stones on each side of the main round diamond, along with melee on the halo and band.  It's just under .75 carats but with the other stones comes out to 1.09 total carat weight (the 2 sides stones are both about .15 each - nice sizes).  E in color, and although the clarity is not what I was looking for (much lower) it is eye clean.  I've seen dozens of photos of the piece in indoor and outdoor conditions and it's really sparkly.  

We have a few days to mull it over once we receive it, with 100% guaranteed take back if we aren't happy.  It came in well under his budget which makes me feel better also.  

I'm not going to post photos yet, because I want to wait until my BF wraps up the deal.  Hoping that he has the time to take care of it before it disappears (but, she said she could hold it for a short time so I don't think it's really an issue).  

Getting closer!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wohoo!  I can't wait to see!!  :hyper:

This ring crossed my facebook feed and I went: :jaw:  :love: .  I love absolutely everything but the price tag!  It also comes in a sapphire option; which I think I like a little more.  I have no desire to actually buy these; but wow they are so pretty!
https://kirkkara.com/item/K1120ADC-R
I know what you mean. I have excellent taste in jewelry, just not the pocketbook to match. I've lost so much weight that we had to get my opal ring resized. As a result I'm on Helzberg's email list. They keep sending me "sale" notifications. I only remain on the list for the pretty pictures. (I tend to treat jewelry stores as gemstone museums. I think it's very kind of them to put all the prettys out where I can see them.)

Margret

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean. I have excellent taste in jewelry, just not the pocketbook to match. 
Exactly! 

And just my colour.
Thats why it caught my eye!  I LOVE purple!  But the sapphires are a favorite gemstone and both DH's and my birthstone.  I like the contrast between the deep blue and the sparkle of the diamonds in the white gold. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly! :lol3:

Thats why it caught my eye!  I LOVE purple!  But the sapphires are a favorite gemstone and both DH's and my birthstone.  I like the contrast between the deep blue and the sparkle of the diamonds in the white gold. 
As I never intended marrying again, and the queue is getting longer, it's not that important but I really liked the mauve set. Is it expensive? I got married 46 years ago but not in America so I have no idea Re prices. I divorced after 22 years. And guess where he lays his hat!