So tired of loose stool. Possible IBD, suggestions? Kind of long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

According to Dr. Gookin solid stool won't work ,the more diarrhetic the better, this is why she suggests having a vet use a loop when the cat is having problems with diarrhea, they can scrape the muscous in the colon. My cat had "cow pie" stool when I did it, a watery diarrhea is hard to get up from the litter. I just scooped up a pea sized amount with the applicator from the wettest part that was not in the litter and dropped it in the vial with the alcohol. I actually used two vials in case there was a problem with one, my vet prepared the vials according to the instructions she was given and sent them home with me so I had them on hand when the girls decided to co-operate. If your vet has questions Dr. Gookin is very willing to speak to a vet and help. My vet spoke to her several times so we could get it right. You have probably read this if you have been to her site but in order to survive outside the body TF has to be in a "wet" environment, normal stool is too dry so it dies and is not good for testing.
Ok, gotcha. Well, neither of them have ever really had normal stools, so I don't think it'll be an issue. We'll see though.

levotb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're not alone! I've had a seal mitted Rag female (she was abandoned by a neighbor at 12) for 6 years now, and I always knew she was around because there were puddles of vomit and diarrhea next to each other everywhere around the building. Clearly, none of my neighbors understood her condition or cared.

I read about IBD and food allergies, and realized immediately that what the idiot neighbors were feeding her was making her sick, therefore causing her to loose weight to where she was underweight and in essence, starving to death. Her hair for such a pretty cat was matted and so we took her to the groomers who removed the tufts. To make her situation even more critical, she had jumped off our balcony after a bird and had broken one of her back legs completely in two. An expensive operation saved her, allowed her to walk again but not without a KE device sticking out from her skin for 6 months.

Her vet told me that she may not be an IBD cat, but I know she is. All of her symptoms are IBD.

I've never heard of trichomamo whatever that disease is and will look up Jody Gookin. Thanks y'all for that tip!

Regarding Prednosone, it's as you probably know a death sentence for your cat. Cats don't live long after having it. It might be a miracle drug for humans, but not for cats!

Duck and venison are very strong/gamey and it would be better to get your cat on the lamb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by levotb

Regarding Prednosone, it's as you probably know a death sentence for your cat. Cats don't live long after having it. It might be a miracle drug for humans, but not for cats!
Uh.. you should probably do some research before you say things like that. Numerous cats are on Prednisone for different issues, and they don't die because of it.

To give a quick update on my 2 Ragdolls, who are still alive and well after being on Prednisone for 2wks. a few months ago: Their stools are completley normal now!
I switched them to Eukanuba Hairball and a couple days after the switch, they had close to 'perfect' stools. It was amazing. We also did a week of Clavamox on Ozzy, just as a precaution since he was really bad for awhile. As much as I'd like to feed them a higher quality food, it obviously weren't agreeing with them. So, they'll be staying on the Eukanuba food unless something changes!