So sick of my house smelling like cat s****!!

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I have a cat that I recently switched from hills Z/D food (low allergen) to Natural Balance's Venison & Green Pea formula.....and let me tell you, when Bella goes, I can't even stay in there to scoop it up right away. I have to leave the room for awhile. To quote another post I saw on this forum once...."she can peel paint off the wall!"

On a side note.....I would have thought that just like in humans, if you eat healthier food, your bowels movements will smell more. I discussed this with my mom and she agreed with me that Bella's stool would smell more since she is on a much healtier food.
That's interesting that your Kitty Bella stinks on the Natural Balance because my Sluggo has been on the same food for maybe a month now and his litter box stinks more too! When he was on a raw diet there was no smell, it was awesome!! But now due to his UTI we are going to have to switch again.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, two of them have not so bad poo, and the other reeks!! He was a rescue street cat indoors now over a year, but he stinks, wonder why, all eat the same food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I have three cats, two of them have not so bad poo, and the other reeks!! He was a rescue street cat indoors now over a year, but he stinks, wonder why, all eat the same food.
Just like us some digest some thing s better than others...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ours eat Merrick wet food and there is naturally an odour when they are doing their business, but as soon as it's covered it's not bad at all.

I have one friend who I trust to tell me the truth and when I ask if she can smell cats in our house she says she honestly cannot.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl's poo smells like old coffee, not bad at all, since she shifted to Nature's Logic rabbit. She won't eat wet food unless it is fish, so I am not wasting money on raw food that she won't eat either.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bad smells almost certainly come from diet. Better quality food, whether wet or dry, will change this. It does sound as if your cat is allergic to something, if Gizmo's example is anything to go by.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe there is something in the Costco's food that is causing an upset. While Kirklands is definately cheaper than Nutro, it is way higher quality. Kirklands is the only food where cheaper is actually better. My dogs eat it and they look gorgeous.

BTW when Ceci goes she definately stunk up the bathroom (with FP) now im using Scoop Away Fresh Scent and when she pees the bathroom instantly smells like baby powder and when she poos it smells just the tiniest bit, just enough to let me know I have to scoop.

I always have a bottle of Febreeze (I think) and I just mist up the room a bit and the smell is totally gone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

Maybe there is something in the Costco's food that is causing an upset. While Kirklands is definately cheaper than Nutro, it is way higher quality. Kirklands is the only food where cheaper is actually better. My dogs eat it and they look gorgeous.

BTW when Ceci goes she definately stunk up the bathroom (with FP) now im using Scoop Away Fresh Scent and when she pees the bathroom instantly smells like baby powder and when she poos it smells just the tiniest bit, just enough to let me know I have to scoop.

I always have a bottle of Febreeze (I think) and I just mist up the room a bit and the smell is totally gone.
Kirkland has grades of food... the cat I was not impressed with and most of the dog s I see on it have allegy issues since the better quality is well complex
... glad yours are doing well but next to dog chow it is the easiest to switch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

Are you saying that the Kirkland food is better than Nutro??
It's so much cheaper than Nutro, it's hard to believe that it's actually better than Nutro too.

Just FYI, I switched my kits back to the Nutro Natural Choice and the litter box is smelling soooo much better now.
I can't believe what a difference the food can make!!

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first few weeks when I got Astrid she was a super stinker. After being here awhile, getting settled into the right diet for her, and a high quality litter, the stinkies are under control. She eats Nutro dry and Merrick wet and I use World's Best Cat Litter. Very good odor control. It used to be only be when she was taking care of her business that I could smell it, but now, I have to see her do it to know and the only time it is icky is getting close to scoop. I have a friend who visits regulary and commented on the change.

A found an all natural herbal air freshener that was like a gel in a canister that worked for any lingering "aromas". I really sympathize and I hope the diet change helps. Good luck.

iamluckysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just came in on this, so how was your hissy fit....trust it was good. I find that even if you did let them out, they would hold it til they got home to poo at home. My cats do that......
We now have a kitten and he doesn't cover it up and that stinks up the joint. But then I don't want to follow behind them and "flush" either......

Good luck to ya. and get some good air fresheners.