So sad about kittens getting adopted

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is very common, just looking for some comforting words. I'm keeping one kitten and the stray momma but giving the other 2 kittens to my brother. They are 10 weeks, I know a little older is preferred but due to travel we have to do it at 10 weeks. I feel good that 2 kittens are going together as these 2 seem bonded. I can visit and keep tabs on them daily if I really wanted to. Overall it's a very positive situation and yet myself and my 6 yr old daughter keep sobbing our eyes out. Please tell me all the things.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m the wrong person to tell you anything because after taking in a pregnant stray 7 years ago, I ended up keeping mom and all 4 of her kittens. They are a delightful family of bonded cats and I love having them (plus another 4 cats!). However, this is a win-win because it is your own brother so you will always know how they are doing and two kittens are going together, which is fantastic!

You’ve clearly grown attached, but the kittens will be going to family, and that is a best-case scenario. I think once you get past letting them go and start getting updates you will feel much better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were there for only about 2 hours and are snuggling already very close to one of their other cats (another rescue). They seem to be adjusting just fine.

How long until momma cat stops grieving. I how she is comforted by still having one kitten.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama will feel better in about 2 weeks, from my experience, especially as her extra milk begins to dry up. You can put warm, damp compresses on her tummy to help with discomfort, and give her lots of extra love and reassurances. :catlove:

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They look very happy. It's hard to let go of something you've nurtured, but I can think of no better end than adopting them out to a family member where you can keep tabs and visit, and as a bonus, you know they will receive optimal care.

I hope you, your daughter and momma cat feel better soon.