So my neutered male cat has some freaky sort of pent of sexual frustration.

regnes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so I have a "teen" male Siamese, he's 1 year and 2 months old. He was neutered when he was four and a half months old. I had read that Siamese tend to mature slower than most breeds, but at 4 months he was already in cat puberty, his ponch was already visible (Male cats have a belly flap lol) I had noticed he was starting to exhibit sexual behavior, in particular towards his bed, basically he's a bed humper. He was easily mature enough so we booked him for his neutering and he bounced back from that on the same day it was done.

Now starting at about 8 months odd nightly rituals began to develop. He would start crying and coming down the stairs carrying his favourite stuffed bunny (He's normally very quiet in the meowing department with a very gentle meow cat which I know is remarkably rare in a Siamese.) I usually just figured he was tired of his alone time and wanted company, especially since on a full day he will probably spend a solid 80% of the day in the same room as you or somebody else, he loves to be around people. And then the bed thing started again. It's mostly ineffective what he does since he can't get a proper erection, but it's not a dominance thing, he's aroused and trying to have sex with his bed all while crying loudly. We find it hilarious. It's become a bit of a frequent thing, so much that Somebody will usually ask why he's crying (we all love this cat to death lol) all I need to say is he's with his bed and all is immediately understood lol.

Anyway, it's still hilarious, but it's getting kind of weird. He has been known to drag his bed around the house to find an audience, because he likes company while he mates with his bed. He usually brings the bed up, and then goes to fetch his bunny, his ritual always has him carrying the bunny around for a while. This bunny is not his friend, it's his trophy. Oddly enough, if he can't find the bunny, it never proceeds any further and he gives up, but if he can find the bunny, he's going to get very jiggy with that bed of his.

I know that neutering does not make a cat gender neutral and that residual sexual behavior may be here and there; especially if the behavior existed prior to neutering. But this is like a legitimate sexual hunger this cat's got, he's in full blown heat or something. Some days he goes at it with his bed like 5 times a day, and then he stops for maybe a month before acting up again. Is this at all normal? Also believe me, he's neutered, I made sure it wasn't a vasectomy of any sort.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ok so I have a "teen" male Siamese, he's 1 year and 2 months old. He was neutered when he was four and a half months old. I had read that Siamese tend to mature slower than most breeds, but at 4 months he was already in cat puberty, his ponch was already visible (Male cats have a belly flap lol) I had noticed he was starting to exhibit sexual behavior, in particular towards his bed, basically he's a bed humper. He was easily mature enough so we booked him for his neutering and he bounced back from that on the same day it was done.

Now starting at about 8 months odd nightly rituals began to develop. He would start crying and coming down the stairs carrying his favourite stuffed bunny (He's normally very quiet in the meowing department with a very gentle meow cat which I know is remarkably rare in a Siamese.) I usually just figured he was tired of his alone time and wanted company, especially since on a full day he will probably spend a solid 80% of the day in the same room as you or somebody else, he loves to be around people. And then the bed thing started again. It's mostly ineffective what he does since he can't get a proper erection, but it's not a dominance thing, he's aroused and trying to have sex with his bed all while crying loudly. We find it hilarious. It's become a bit of a frequent thing, so much that Somebody will usually ask why he's crying (we all love this cat to death lol) all I need to say is he's with his bed and all is immediately understood lol.

Anyway, it's still hilarious, but it's getting kind of weird. He has been known to drag his bed around the house to find an audience, because he likes company while he mates with his bed. He usually brings the bed up, and then goes to fetch his bunny, his ritual always has him carrying the bunny around for a while. This bunny is not his friend, it's his trophy. Oddly enough, if he can't find the bunny, it never proceeds any further and he gives up, but if he can find the bunny, he's going to get very jiggy with that bed of his.

I know that neutering does not make a cat gender neutral and that residual sexual behavior may be here and there; especially if the behavior existed prior to neutering. But this is like a legitimate sexual hunger this cat's got, he's in full blown heat or something. Some days he goes at it with his bed like 5 times a day, and then he stops for maybe a month before acting up again. Is this at all normal? Also believe me, he's neutered, I made sure it wasn't a vasectomy of any sort.
I've seen dogs do this too and i don't think its anything to be concerned about... :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's an animal thing :lol3: I've also known horses who were definitely castrated (and, believe me, you know if the castration wasn't successful...mares can't be spayed so a 'rig' is incredibly easy to identify) who would mount and hump both mares and other geldings. Sometimes getting rid of the hormones doesn't wipe out all the sexual instincts ;)

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Regnes I just read your story about your teen male and I have to admit, it made me giggle.  Better his bed than you which is what Newman, my 5 year old, tries to do with me.  I'll be sitting in my favorite chair and the next thing I know I have this 20 lb male in my lap grabbing my sleeve with his teeth and well-------you know.  Really, I don't know what else to say other than better his bed than you.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this is rather, strange. I've not had a cat ever have these issues, neutered or not. Usually they'd go their own ways, and come home. Always respectful. I am a bit at a loss for words. Best advice, hide the bunny and see if he keeps on doing this or not. Are you sure he was neutered and it was done correctly? I would suggest getting him a friend but at this rate, it might not be a good idea. Have you discussed this with the Vet? Possibly get him a Feliway defuser?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are extra weird. It's part of their charm :lol3:.

If it's totally linked to his bunny, you could maybe try to wean him off it by only giving him the bunny at set times. Make that set time shorter and shorter until he stops. But if he finds a new object to love, I guess that's just the way it is ;).

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As he matures he may grow out of it.  Maybe.  Kind of reminds me of that movie with Adam Sandler in it where the dog would make it with the big stuffed yellow duck.