So My Kitten Does Have Ringworm! I Am Worried About Having To Keep Him Contained!

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 week old rescue that when I got him he had an extreme case of fleas, and Giardia. It took a lot of Dawn baths to get rid of the fleas and a lot of medication to rid the diarrhea and I had to keep him in my tiled laundry room 90 percent of the time to protect my dog and us from getting fleas and giardia. Well at the beginning of the week he had no fleas and no giardia but bald spots and I thought it was from the fleas so I have been letting him all over the house and I've cuddled with him constantly and developed what appeared to be ringworm on my arm so back to the vet we went for vaccinations and to see if it's ringworm and lo and behold it was! So the vet told me to keep him in the laundry room and bleach the floors and walls every day and wash his bedding along with the oral and topical treatment for 4 weeks! I am worried he needs this time to develop his personality and relationship with my husband I and with the dog! I'm worried if he is cooped up in there he won't learn the things he needs to. Of course I am going to spend time with him in there but I just feel so terrible because he has had to be back there so much. I've never had a cat before in my life so I am still learning and feel like I'm going to mess him up! I'm also overwhelmed with how to rid my house of ringworm and protect my dog from it. It's been a crazy past couple of weeks! Will he be ok?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! He will be ok, --cats are very resilient, and you're doing fantastically in the midst of all these challenges!

Play some low volume classical harp music for him, and also provide him with a ticking clock (if the tick-tock is too loud just muffle it with a towel) and be sure to keep him warm. Have a heating pad on low and covered with a couple of towels (along with an area where he can get off the heating pad if he wants to.

By the way, you're using bleach, so just in case you aren't be sure and ventilate to the maximum. You don't want the fumes to cause him, or you, any issues.

Is he eating canned food? Be sure and literally let him eat as much of his food as he can for his first year and possibly beyond that if he's a big breed. They need all those nutrients to fuel the incredible growth that's going on.

In a little bit, your baby will start teething - give him a washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets) wetted and partially frozen to chew on.

Speaking of biting, when you play with him be absolutely sure to keep your arms hands and fingers away from any biting. Provide a soft toy instead, and you may still have to utilize a strong hiss, --just like his mama would do, to stop bad behavior (of any kind :) )

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, for the ringworm portion, here are a couple of articles:

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight

Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

Actually, since your dog has already been exposed (hasn't he), I'm surprised your Vet didn't give you an oral medication and advise that you dip him (the dog). Did he not give you dip for the kitten too? You said oral and topical medication, so I'm guessing not. Maybe he thinks he's too young :dunno:.

Anyway, yes, do spend as much time as you possibly can with him so he doesn't get too lonely. I know that's hard, because I'm sure you have other things to do besides hang out in the laundry room, but he needs to be around people as much as possible to get socialized.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! He will be ok, --cats are very resilient, and you're doing fantastically in the midst of all these challenges!

Play some low volume classical harp music for him, and also provide him with a ticking clock (if the tick-tock is too loud just muffle it with a towel) and be sure to keep him warm. Have a heating pad on low and covered with a couple of towels (along with an area where he can get off the heating pad if he wants to.

By the way, you're using bleach, so just in case you aren't be sure and ventilate to the maximum. You don't want the fumes to cause him, or you, any issues.

Is he eating canned food? Be sure and literally let him eat as much of his food as he can for his first year and possibly beyond that if he's a big breed. They need all those nutrients to fuel the incredible growth that's going on.

In a little bit, your baby will start teething - give him a washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets) wetted and partially frozen to chew on.

Speaking of biting, when you play with him be absolutely sure to keep your arms hands and fingers away from any biting. Provide a soft toy instead, and you may still have to utilize a strong hiss, --just like his mama would do, to stop bad behavior (of any kind :) )

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Thank you! I've been putting him in a different room in a pen while the bleach dries and I leave the back door open to get the fumes out! He has a heating pad in there and a bed on top with some toys. He likes to suckle on his blanket! I've been letting him chew on my hand so I guess I should stop! Thank you for the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, for the ringworm portion, here are a couple of articles:

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight

Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

Actually, since your dog has already been exposed (hasn't he), I'm surprised your Vet didn't give you an oral medication and advise that you dip him (the dog). Did he not give you dip for the kitten too? You said oral and topical medication, so I'm guessing not. Maybe he thinks he's too young :dunno:.

Anyway, yes, do spend as much time as you possibly can with him so he doesn't get too lonely. I know that's hard, because I'm sure you have other things to do besides hang out in the laundry room, but he needs to be around people as much as possible to get socialized.
The vet gave me oral meds and topical meds for kitty but not for my dog! I ordered a sulfur dip from amazon and I'm going to do it for both. I've been checking my dog every day for ringworm but she's only met him a handful of times because I didn't want to overwhelm either of them. I'm thinking maybe she'll be ok but I would rather be safe than sorry!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had to tell you how many times I got ringworm from kittens, I'd reveal my age. And numbers don't go that high. ;)
My first bit of advice is take the advice given by the members here. All gave good hints and ideas.
My second bit of advice is to relax a little. Ringworm is technically a fungus, not a "worm", and is no worse than something like Athlete's foot unless you let it get out of control, which you obviously have no intentions of doing. :thumbsup:
Just keep him clean, yourself clean, the environment clean and treat as directed b a vet and you'll all be good as new. :wave3: