So Many Issues, And No Idea Where To Start.

annabanana93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I came here looking for some advice about my FIV+ cat Noah. Noah is approx. 15 years old, and has had FIV for at least 6 years, but we aren't sure as he was taken in by the RSPCA as a stray.

Over the last 5 years we have battled numerous stomach and respiratory problems, but he always pulls through and is a happy, cuddly, sweet boy. Up until recently, he has been on ad lib dry food (70% one protein source, grain free) and half a sachet of wet food in the evening mixed into his dry food, until he started having fairly constant diarrhoea. We stopped giving him the wet food to try and sort his tummy out, but I became concerned he was losing weight, and yesterday he vomited yellow bile, so I took him in to the vets.

It turns out he has dropped from 4.5kgs to 2.9, which horrified me to say the least, and I felt awful. The vet also said he seems quite anaemic (his mucous membranes were very pale) and he thinks he may be slightly jaundiced, which lead him to believe he might have cholangiohepatitis.

The vet we saw (not our usual vet, but he was pretty up front with me which I appreciate) didn't believe it was in Noah's best interest to do invasive investigation, and I am mostly inclined to agree with him. This is the cat who has been poked and stabbed so many times that both veins on either side of his neck have gone crunchy and difficult to draw from, and spent a year in isolation in a crate at a rescue as nobody wanted him and his FIV meant he couldn't be kept in general population. He is still bright and eating, drinking well and I feel like blood draws will just tell us what we already know. He was given an anabolic steroid injection yesterday to try and increase his appetite, which I was happy with.

After that impressive essay, I guess my question is, do any of you guys know of anything I can give him orally to help his anaemia and jaundice? And anything I can supplement his food with to help him gain weight without upsetting his stomach? I know some may disagree with my attitude towards his treatment, but honestly, his quality of life is the most important thing to me, and invasive investigation and treatment just doesn't seem to factor in for me. Money isn't an issue at all. The thing is, when we got him he was in such a sorry state that we didn't expect to have him with us for a year, let alone five, so every day we have him in our lives is a bonus, and as long as he is happy and comfortable he will continue to putter around his house at his desire.

Serious pat on the back to anyone who made it through this post!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well I hardly deserve a serious pat on the back for making it through this post as you wrote in your last sentence but rather it is you who deserves not one but many pats for taking this handsome fellow in when others turned away from him. :hugs:

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with the problems your guy is suffering from but am bumping your post up so that others who can relate will weigh in with their knowledge and expertise. In the meantime, here is an Article that may be helpful for you to read: Elevated Liver Enzymes In Cats - Should You Be Worried?

My sincere good wishes for Noah and you. :alright:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart, sweet little boy. I love black cats, i have a little black girl.

Is he eating any better today? What is he eating? did the vet put him on any prescriptions, or prescription food?

At his age vet care is important, as you know, and you are working with your vet, so thats a great thing. How aggressive or invasive to test and treat is always such a personal decision. I dont know if there is any right or wrong, just whats right for us and our situation. do keep us updated with how he is doing, we worry right along with you!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a different dry food? My cats got diarrhea when I tried to go completely grain-free. Maybe try one with rice. They have some that are soy, wheat, and corn free, but they have some rice in them.

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anaemia can be a symptom of kidney disease. I'd want to see blood tests personally. There's medications that can stimulate red blood cell growth. B12 shots can help to a point. If he becomes severely anaemic he can pass away through congestive heart failure, which isn't a good way to go.

Mirtazapine is generally the go to drug to increase appetite. I'm a bit wary of giving steroids to a cat with unexplained symptoms. If he turned out to be diabetic it could worsen his condition.

The elevated liver readings are probably a by product of him not eating well.

Well done for taking a cat with problems that others turned away. You've given him a great life whatever happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annabanana93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

Well I hardly deserve a serious pat on the back for making it through this post as you wrote in your last sentence but rather it is you who deserves not one but many pats for taking this handsome fellow in when others turned away from him. :hugs:

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with the problems your guy is suffering from but am bumping your post up so that others who can relate will weigh in with their knowledge and expertise. In the meantime, here is an Article that may be helpful for you to read: Elevated Liver Enzymes In Cats - Should You Be Worried?

My sincere good wishes for Noah and you. :alright:
Thanks for the link, I will give that one a read in the bath later! It was a pretty easy decision to take him home, I think it was love at first site for me!

Bless his heart, sweet little boy. I love black cats, i have a little black girl.

Is he eating any better today? What is he eating? did the vet put him on any prescriptions, or prescription food?

At his age vet care is important, as you know, and you are working with your vet, so thats a great thing. How aggressive or invasive to test and treat is always such a personal decision. I dont know if there is any right or wrong, just whats right for us and our situation. do keep us updated with how he is doing, we worry right along with you!
Have you tried a different dry food? My cats got diarrhea when I tried to go completely grain-free. Maybe try one with rice. They have some that are soy, wheat, and corn free, but they have some rice in them.
I always feel awful that black cats get such a raw deal when it comes to adoption, Noah was waiting for a family for over a year. He's not on any prescriptions or prescription food, he was eating Applaws Senior dry food, which is 80% meat and 20% veg, completely grain free, but he wasn't really eating it well without the wet food. Yesterday I bought a small bag of Lily's Kitchen Mature dry food, which is 70% fish and also grain free, in the hopes he would find it more appetising. He absolutely scoffed it down last night (so much so I had to take his bowl up before the old "scarf and barf" occurred), but he is less keen today.

I keep all of his food grain free as he had awful skin issues when we got him that completely cleared up after he was put on better grain free food, which made the vet think he is sensitive/allergic to grains.

annabanana93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anaemia can be a symptom of kidney disease. I'd want to see blood tests personally. There's medications that can stimulate red blood cell growth. B12 shots can help to a point. If he becomes severely anaemic he can pass away through congestive heart failure, which isn't a good way to go.

Mirtazapine is generally the go to drug to increase appetite. I'm a bit wary of giving steroids to a cat with unexplained symptoms. If he turned out to be diabetic it could worsen his condition.

The elevated liver readings are probably a by product of him not eating well.

Well done for taking a cat with problems that others turned away. You've given him a great life whatever happens.
Unfortunately we already know that his kidneys aren't great, he last had bloods done in September after he had an episode of gastritis and blood vomiting, and pretty much all of his levels (kidneys, liver, inflammation markers are the ones i remember off the top of my head) are out of whack.

Our regular vet deals with a lot of FIV+ cats, and has a very positive outlook on the prognosis, but is of the opinion that for his age and the length he has had the FIV, his bloods aren't out of the norm. If he deteriorates further and loses more weight or gets lethargic, I will definitely get a panel run to see what's happening.

At the moment I suppose I am looking more at keeping him happy and comfortable, rather than extending his life excessively. Don't get me wrong, I want, need, to keep him in my life as long as possible, but having worked in a welfare charity (horses) that took on the worst kind of cases, I have witnessed the debate on whether or not invasive treatment should be continued many times. There's nothing more heart breaking than seeing the fear and resignation animals go through during round after round of blood draws and injections and restraint, only for them to give up the fight after months.

That's just my two cents, thank you for the reply! I will see if I can catch my regular vet on the phone and ask him about the Mirtazapine.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

Thanks for the link, I will give that one a read in the bath later! It was a pretty easy decision to take him home, I think it was love at first site for me!

I always feel awful that black cats get such a raw deal when it comes to adoption, Noah was waiting for a family for over a year. He's not on any prescriptions or prescription food, he was eating Applaws Senior dry food, which is 80% meat and 20% veg, completely grain free, but he wasn't really eating it well without the wet food. Yesterday I bought a small bag of Lily's Kitchen Mature dry food, which is 70% fish and also grain free, in the hopes he would find it more appetising. He absolutely scoffed it down last night (so much so I had to take his bowl up before the old "scarf and barf" occurred), but he is less keen today.

I keep all of his food grain free as he had awful skin issues when we got him that completely cleared up after he was put on better grain free food, which made the vet think he is sensitive/allergic to grains.
I love black cats :) I normally feed Dr. Elseys Dry food, chicken, its grain free, not sure where you are or if you have access to it? I order from Chewy or Dr. Elseys site.

The only other dry food i am a fan of is Farmina. they do have some grain free options. My cats love their line of food with pumpkin, and its grain free. Most cats i have ever tried this food with are big fans. I get it from the Farmina website.

annabanana93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love black cats :) I normally feed Dr. Elseys Dry food, chicken, its grain free, not sure where you are or if you have access to it? I order from Chewy or Dr. Elseys site.

The only other dry food i am a fan of is Farmina. they do have some grain free options. My cats love their line of food with pumpkin, and its grain free. Most cats i have ever tried this food with are big fans. I get it from the Farmina website.
I'm in the UK and hadn't heard of either of those brands, but I will definitely look into them if the food I bought this week doesn't work out.

If anyone is interested, this is the ingredients list for the dry food he is on now:

White Fish (60%); Trout (5%); Salmon (5%)
Potato; Dried Egg; Plant Fibre; Sunflower Oil; Salmon Gravy; Fish Gravy; Linseed; Vitamins and Chelated Minerals; Green Lipped Mussel 4g/kg; Seaweed Oil Extract; Fructooligosaccarides 2.5g/kg; Turmeric; Boswellia; Cheese; Seaweed; Gingko Biloba; Carrot; Bilberry; Cranberry; Parsley; Aniseed; Fenugreek; Glucosamine 178mg/kg; Methylsulfonylmethane 178mg/kg; Chondroitin Sulphate 125mg/kg

As an aside, has anyone had any experience with OTC appetite stimulants/calorie pastes? I was looking at this yesterday and it has good reviews (hopefully the link works from my phone).
www.amazon.com/Tomlyn-High-Calorie-Nutritional-Nutri-Cal/dp/B000FO3R6K

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the UK and hadn't heard of either of those brands, but I will definitely look into them if the food I bought this week doesn't work out.

If anyone is interested, this is the ingredients list for the dry food he is on now:

White Fish (60%); Trout (5%); Salmon (5%)
Potato; Dried Egg; Plant Fibre; Sunflower Oil; Salmon Gravy; Fish Gravy; Linseed; Vitamins and Chelated Minerals; Green Lipped Mussel 4g/kg; Seaweed Oil Extract; Fructooligosaccarides 2.5g/kg; Turmeric; Boswellia; Cheese; Seaweed; Gingko Biloba; Carrot; Bilberry; Cranberry; Parsley; Aniseed; Fenugreek; Glucosamine 178mg/kg; Methylsulfonylmethane 178mg/kg; Chondroitin Sulphate 125mg/kg

As an aside, has anyone had any experience with OTC appetite stimulants/calorie pastes? I was looking at this yesterday and it has good reviews (hopefully the link works from my phone).
www.amazon.com/Tomlyn-High-Calorie-Nutritional-Nutri-Cal/dp/B000FO3R6K
Dr. Elseys may not be available. But i think Farmina would. My cats love this food, especially the pumpkin flavors.

Farmina Pet Foods - Cat food - N&D Pumpkin feline