SO many fleas!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use borax as salt, like sand, would be next to impossible to vacuum up completely.

You really should shut the cats away from it.
Sprinkle it liberally, and let it sit over night.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will

When I had an infestion in my last rental, I treated the bedroom first, keeping the cats out of it overnight, then I treated the cats, and locked them in the bedroom while I treated the rest of the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what about us being in the rooms? cuz we would have to sleep here.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I own alot of clothes. and I understand that everything should be washed but I don't own a washer and dryer. (I live in an apartment with no hook-ups not even in the basement) is there another way I can get the flea eggs off my clothes? I was thinking maybe large plastic bags for a week or something. I don't know....I plan to wash some of it but to pay to wash everything I would be broke. I don't get paid til next thursday or friday. I don't want my babies to have to wait that long for relief. I also would like to say that you guys were right about the flea collars although they only wore them for like 2 days both of them lost fur around there necks. Not alot. just a thin line. Otherwise they seem fine though. I though maybe they were to tight but I really think that is unlikely because I usually check those things often. Well I have to go to work. someone please answer my questions. Thank you for all the help so far.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ive just read your thread, im glad your kitties are ok when missy adopted us she was flea ridden and pregnant so there was little i could use i combed her four or five times a day with a flea comb which i dipped in hot water it kills the fleas instantly at first we were looking at 50-60 fleas each time ive now had her nearly 6 weeks and theres not a flea in sight no dirt. its very time comsuming but its free no chemicals i vacum a couple of times a day and three times a week i do skirtings and furniture we have no carpets in our house its all wood or tiles so i know there probably hiding but as long as they arent on missy or the babies im happy. im not so sure about the clothes i certianly havent done all ours with two adults and three kids it would never end i did wash all the cat things though ie blankets and bed

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting your clothes in a plastic bag with borax for 24 hours, and take what clothes you'll need in the immediate future and wash them.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've also read that a dryer will kill them. that the heat will kill fleas and eggs. is this true? because if it is I could prolly afford to dry them all and kill the fleas but washing and drying I couldn't.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also. what about the toys? my cats have so many toys they don't know what to do with them. I actually bought them 50 fur mice online and they are scattered though my apartment. and they have one of those capret covered climbing things my dad built for my last cat. what should I do for those?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the carpetted cat tree, treat it with the borax and vacuum.
If the dryer gets hot enough, yes, that would work.

Their smaller toys you can probably wash by hand in as hot a water as you can stand and let them air dry.

I do know what a pain all of this is, and I do sympathize as I've been there myself.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would rather be over ridden with fleas then leave this beautiful sweet boy where he was.

We do seem to have the probelm under control. I just combed them to check and found about 3 on each. I am still finding flea poo though so I know they are somewhere.