So many books, so little time!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Shakespeare. I thought I was the only one besides English teachers and professors.
Hamlet was always my favorite, hence Ophelia's name. I still think that Mel Gibson's Hamlet was the best screen adaptation made. He actually got the comedic qualities in there that Shakespeare intended. And I was so impressed with Mel's acting ability, remember this was well before Braveheart and his "serious" roles.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah yes... Mel.... wondrous isn't he!??! hahaha
and he can act!! :laughing: Seriously though I agree Heidi, I thought he was excellent in Hamlet, and I just love the story!
One of my sisters has a huuuge book with the entire works of William Shakespeare in it... I keep trying to convince her that she wants to give it to me.... so far, its not working...
:tounge2:

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a class on Shakespeare in college. I had to carry this huge book to class 3 times each week, it was a fifteen minute walk. But I kept the book, the Riverside Shakespeare. I thought Mel Gibson was an amazing Hamlet, too. Kenneth Brannagh's version was also good. I love his Henry V, the St. Crispin's Day speech makes me want to get up and fight.

myste

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Read book 9 of WoT-still disappointed. Was better than 7 or 8 but not up to the quality of the first 6.

I'm now reading (listening to, actually) Lillian Jackson Braun "The Cat Who..." series. I love these stories, mostly because they feature cats!

Adymarie- Yes, the Fate series I call the Incarnations of Immortality series.

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pat Conroy is one of my favourite authors, and the movies made from his books are not that bad, considering they are "just" movies. Most of his books have been made into movies - the prince of tides, the lords of discipline, the great Santini, the water is wide (movie was called Conrack). Beach Music was his most recent one, a few years ago, no movie yet, but I'm sure it will come...

Maeve Binchy, Belva Plain and Leon Uris are great for semi-historical American and British Isles/Commonwealth fiction. Older Stephen King I like, but the newer stuff is hit and miss for me. I liked everything up until the Dark Tower ones, then after that, only Dolores Claiborne and Bag of Bones really got to me - Insomnia, Desperation and the Regulators just made my head hurt (and my arms - my goodness those are heavy books!!). His wife Tabitha also writes great books, more mainstream fiction, and several revolving around several generations of one family.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Julie, you didn't like Desperation or the Regulators? Those are two of my favorites!!

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The concepts were interesting, but the books were so long and drawn-out... for whatever reason, they just didn't hold my interest. I started them several times, and could never make it to the end. I did manage to finish Insomnia, but that was only because I was reading it during the holidays when I had lots of time in a row, and I kind of raced through the last quarter of the book to find out what finally happened.

They reminded me of those long, confusing, exhausting wacko dreams I have where I wake up more tired than when I went to bed.