So mad at ourselves

Colleenme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are the worst. We have 2 neutered males, a crotchety 9 year old and a sweet 3 yr old. The 3 yr old neutered male cat run away when our roof was put on 4 months ago, and for 3 months we looked for him regularly. I missed him ( Simba) but my daughter was very upset so mom rescued another kitten. Flash forward to a month ago, Simba comes strolling home. New kitten is happy playful and got out 1 night. A male cat broke into our lanai and must have impregnated her so now we have a pregnant 5-6 month old kitten. We thought she was just eating a lot because she’s so active but then her nipples felt harder and we were like oooh. She will have an appt. My questions are1. How are neutered males around kittens, especially if one used to be a hunter and had killed mice, 2. How are dogs around kittens ( we have a 5 yr old beagle). 3. What can I do now to get her in a mothering mood?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We are the worst. We have 2 neutered males, a crotchety 9 year old and a sweet 3 yr old. The 3 yr old neutered male cat run away when our roof was put on 4 months ago, and for 3 months we looked for him regularly. I missed him ( Simba) but my daughter was very upset so mom rescued another kitten. Flash forward to a month ago, Simba comes strolling home. New kitten is happy playful and got out 1 night. A male cat broke into our lanai and must have impregnated her so now we have a pregnant 5-6 month old kitten. We thought she was just eating a lot because she’s so active but then her nipples felt harder and we were like oooh. She will have an appt. My questions are1. How are neutered males around kittens, especially if one used to be a hunter and had killed mice, 2. How are dogs around kittens ( we have a 5 yr old beagle). 3. What can I do now to get her in a mothering mood?
She prob didnt got out because she was playful, she got out because she was in heat and felt a tom nearby.... You are NOT the first!
These cats in heat could learn Houdini a trick or two...

OK, if the neuter is a good pal with the mom, nothing bad should happen. But DO beware at the first meeting occasions. If he isnt used to small kittens, he CAN swipe at them... He can also run scared away, or simply, dont bother.
So dont take stupid risks, exactly as you ask; but the chance he will co-parent is much higher than the risk he will actively hurt them.

I think the mother hormones will come in by themselves... If not at once, so after a couple of days. But yeah, be prepared to help her in the beginning. She perhaps doesnt knows what is played... So get gears for handfeeding. Prepare for helping her at birth, and with co-parenting... It may take a couple of days before the instincts click in...
But many a young moms are doing their very best, so it differs.

The prepared is guarded by God himself, no? :)

I suppose the dog will be as the neuter cat... Make sure you show him the small kittens do belong to the family, to his heard, they arent no hunting prey.
Its fully possible he will co-parent he too.

And obey the mom. If she seems to be stressed or irritated by the others, - do separate them. If she wants them to be near, let them. At first occasions with your supervision.