So, logged in to Facebook today...

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
YESSSS. Mind you I am only 28, but I've come across several old friends. Some still look the same, most are married with LOTS of kids and some are in jail for the most horrible things imaginable. I even kissed one guy and he's in jail for some REALLY bad things now and won't get out until 2024!!!! I know how you feel. To me it's like no one was supposed to change or grow up or have kids, and then wow.... these are my old school buddies?? Craaaaazy. I also went under the radar like you did LOL, I have my "now" friends on there, but use a fake name so no one can find me that I don't want finding me hehehe

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

Exactly. 'Cause, like, that also affirms that I'm getting older. How am I supposed to remain in a state of suspended adolescence with all of this maturation going on?
I know exactly what you are saying. What makes it hit home for me is seeing our daughter grow - just 5 years ago she was a little seven-year-old, now she's almost as tall as me and is looking like a young woman. I'm exactly the same, though, except a little freaked-out about that, lol!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

..for the first time ever. You know, fake name and all that. Under the radar. Just snoopin' around.

There have been a few people I'd wanted to get in touch with lately from High School, so I managed to find my way around the site enough to look them up. I was taken aback by what I found, however; the kids I knew in High School had been replaced by a slew of 30-somethings, and the occasional 40 year old.

As an aside, I am also 40. Which sucks enough, in and of itself.

But they're not supposed to be, you see. I'm not gonna lie to you, I wasn't prepared to see that. Wasn't prepared to face reality, I guess.

That's what I do; I put people in a very specific time/space box that I have a real problem deviating from. I isolate and iconify moments, and forget that there's actual growth to life. A certain immaturity to that, but hey, acceptance is worth something, right?

Anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about?
I haven't read all the thread but I too have no idea what you are talking about. I just joined facebook, too, and have happily connected to my HS friends.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that.

I just automatically expect people to look exactly the same way they did when I last saw them..... even if it has been 10yrs lol! What I am supposed to do? Guess how they "should" look? Even when I haven't seen them for yrs?

It makes you go "um... OH yeah - ppl look diff with time"

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

The "star" football player from High School was especially shocking.

He rounded out.
Hehe...yep, our's did as well. Gotta love it! I didn't go to our 20th reunion but I saw picture and didn't even recognize him. All that muscle turned to fat. But, he's still married to the homecoming queen so I guess life is working out for him.

Keycube, I completely understand where you're coming from. I've gotten in touch with a lot of people from HS on facebook and it is a reality check. It's kind of depressing at times, but most of the time it's great, once you get past the fact that we're not in 1987 anymore.

I got together with a friend from high school a few weeks ago, and while she's put on weight (having kids will do that), and has a few wrinkles (don't we all), she's still the same outspoken, opinionated, hilarious girl I knew back when. But, it still freaks me out when my friends are talking about PTA meetings, etc.

I'm still 18 at heart...now, if only I can get my body to agree with that!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm amazed at how many people I went to high school with are still acting like they're in high school! I'm actually kind of embarrassed at how so few of them have grown up (we're all just turning 30).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm amazed at how many people I went to high school with are still acting like they're in high school! I'm actually kind of embarrassed at how so few of them have grown up (we're all just turning 30).
I haven't joined FB because I have no desire to get in touch with anyone from HS. The one person I wanted to track down or track me down already did.
(Gary). I'm still in touch with my best friend from HS, infrequent though it is. I went to my 10th reunion (1991) - and that was more than enough. They all looked older, many were married, some had kids... but they all acted like the drunken idiots they were back then. They might have gotten older, but most didn't grow up at all.

I like to think of myself as young in heart, but....

(My BF from before high school, "P" was at a party from my BF from high school, "L," I'm still in touch with. P had married someone from high school. They had their first child ... 7 years ago. The baby was about 6 months old when they went to a New Year's eve party held by L. P and her DH got so crocked, when they left to go home, they forgot the baby. When they went back to get her, L sent them home in a cab.
).

Not my definition of "fun" for many years now.

But yeah... I can see how it would be really strange to see everyone "all grown up."

And yes, I always wonder who that is looking back at me in the mirror!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean - you have the "picture" of them in your mind from high school yearbooks and in 20-30 yrs they usually do not look a thing like their picture.

Very few do and most have gotten "old". I love and hate to see pictures of stars that I remember from tv when they do the "where are they now" - most of them are sooooo old looking now - not anything like you remember.

Yes, we never want to face reality - even our own. But some people do retain most of their looks for a long time and you can recognize them quickly

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Try going to your 35th HS reunion and having people in their 50's still act like they are in High School. Same old cliques and everything.