So Kind Of An Awkward Situation.

new kittenmom

The princess of sniffles
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe our apartment may have accidentally either adopted a stray or maybe even a neighbor's cat. He's an intact young shorthair that is all black with nice yellow eyes. We've taken to calling him Midnight. I have my doubts that Midnight is a stray because he is very friendly and well behaved around people. Especially us who let him come in and chill for a few hours and eat our food. He's also not really skinny, pretty muscular actually.

We've tried to adopt him once before. We put a collar on him and by the next morning, it was gone (making me even more skeptical). I want to find out for sure if he has an owner though because I would like to go get him fixed if he doesn't and maybe even adopt him permanently he's a sweetheart. But I don't know how to go about it. I don't want to wind up drawing too much attention to him as some people in my neighborhood are not that nice and would rather take him and get him put down. He trusts people so it would be an easy thing to do. Plus, my landlord would try to tack on further fees if they found out I was sheltering him. Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
this is kind of sticky but if you can get him to a groomer/vet who can scan for a microchip, that would be the first step. In my opinion, if you can clear his ownership in whatever way, the extra fees would be worth it :). However, if he's not skinny he's likely being fed elsewhere although that doesn't make the other feeders his owners either...

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he clears the “chip hurdle “ to me the key would be if he is going to be a 100% inside cat. If not I don’t see how you could make it work. Obviously if he is that friendly that he goes into your apt with no problems and looks well fed he is being shared by you and someone else.

If you plan to keep him as an inside cat get him fixed and keep him. Stray unfixed males that are allowed to free range lead a dangerous existence fighting other males, predators, vehicles, and disease to name a few.

Sounds like a sweet guy worthy of a safe inside home.