So...just How Old Are You?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I would notice whether there is 1 space or 2. I certainly wouldn't care if I did notice. I would only be mad if someone made me re-write something if I did it the opposite way than what they like.

But, yeah, most things online will reformat your post anyway.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue that hurts me is NOT that there is a different way of typing with current devices. My jobs do not require me to single or double-space, so I would rather keep my style. What gets me IS that someone now decides that what I do, and others that two-space, is garbage. We are to be thrown away. No consideration for what is or was. It is very depressing how society will have such disregard for and discard what is not of utmost convenience at the moment or what is no longer shiny and new.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things change. Not sure why it would be considered a big deal. Perhaps opinion pages are not something to be taken too seriously. I guarantee that you can find an opinion piece on absolutely any subject, on both sides. Just because someone disgrees with you doesn't mean they think you're garbage, and it doesn't mean you have to change anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I was a bit shocked to find out I was so 'old-fashioned'. :lol: But I'm not overly offended. In fact, I learned something from that article. I do volunteer translations online from Spanish to English for a couple of volunteer organizations. I turn in the finished documents in Word format. I had no idea that editors change documents from two spaces to one. Now when I turn in a document, I use one space between sentences because that's the way the final translation will be published and it makes the job easier for the editor who reviews my work.

But I do still use two spaces for private communications--emails and even texts. I don't feel thrown away, I just understand that for professional work, it's one space now. :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's easy to change all the period spaces in a Word document. Just turn on Search and Replace; have it search for period, space, space, and replace it with period space. It's done in a flash.

(Except when some people use three spaces after the period, and you have to do it again!)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Things change. Not sure why it would be considered a big deal. Perhaps opinion pages are not something to be taken too seriously. I guarantee that you can find an opinion piece on absolutely any subject, on both sides. Just because someone disgrees with you doesn't mean they think you're garbage, and it doesn't mean you have to change anything.
Yeah. I agree. Proof of this can be found on Youtube in the comments section of pretty much any video you can think of.

I like this quote on opinions. There's another one I like but it's not suitable for a family friendly site such as this so I'll leave it out. :wink:

“Everyone has a sense of humor. If you don't laugh at jokes, you probably laugh at opinions.”
Criss Jami, Killosophy

W Willowy when someone's opinion of your opinion hurts you, laugh at them. They are no better than you and neither is their opinion. We will laugh with you. She who laughs last laughs best. :hugs:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did. That was after using a manual, nonelectric typewriter. Selectrics were magical with those whirling balls.
My mom had one of those old-fashioned Remington typewriters. Handwriting was faster and less noisy. CLACK CLACK CLACK KER-CLACK (hit two keys at once :) )

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like this quote on opinions. There's another one I like but it's not suitable for a family friendly site such as this so I'll leave it out. :wink:

“Everyone has a sense of humor. If you don't laugh at jokes, you probably laugh at opinions.”
Criss Jami, Killosophy
Right, and I like this one too.
Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had a word processor in the late '80s or early '90s. I thought it was so cool because you could type "live" or else type it into the memory, edit it, and then when you pressed the button it would type it all up at once, by itself. I loved that part, lol.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did. That was after using a manual, nonelectric typewriter. Selectrics were magical with those whirling balls.
Oh, yeah. :agree:
I once threw a Selectric off the roof of a tall building. (Dear god, that was a long long time ago. :dunno: :dizzy:) (It didn't hit anyone.) It shattered into thousands of pieces, but that ball of type survived.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I once threw a Selectric off the roof of a tall building. (Dear god, that was a long long time ago. :dunno: :dizzy:) (It didn't hit anyone.) It shattered into thousands of pieces, but that ball of type survived.
:eek2: :eek3:

I used a Selectric for a few years when I worked as a legal secretary until the law office made the switch to computers. But even then, I kept the Selectric as a back-up because I didn’t quite trust that new-fangled computer system. :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had one of those old-fashioned Remington typewriters. Handwriting was faster and less noisy. CLACK CLACK CLACK KER-CLACK (hit two keys at once :) )
And sometimes the keys would get stuck together, and then everything ground to a halt. Offices back then were a clatter of noise with a number of typewriters going at once. Sometimes you can see this in old movies.

Speaking of old movies, in "Teacher's Pet," Clark Gable used his two index fingers to type with. My Dad typed like that, and he could hit 45 wpm using just two fingers.