So....it's that time again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! 

I am so glad that we did this the way we did. Dinner yesterday was just wonderful. I had a bit of a problem....I severely under-estimated the time it took for the roast to finish, by about an hour. 
 But we were able to work around it and it all worked out. My MIL pooh-poohed it and said that it just made everybody that much hungrier and that much more able to appreciate dinner. And it gave us all more time to hang out together. So we ate at 6:00 instead of 5:00 and still got her back to her room in plenty of time.

And it was all really good. The roast was perfect (I was getting paranoid that I'd overcook the thing, but it was fine...the exterior had a good crust and  the interior was nice and bloody for me and the ends were a perfect medium rare for everybody else. I refuse to cook it any other way....anything over medium-rare at the ends and a good roast is ruined). I love Yorkshire Pudding and so does my MIL; she actually ate three pieces of pudding!
 She says that her living facility has good food, but it's pretty basic and she was really looking forward to that pudding.  Our friends had never had it, so they weren't sure what to expect. He really liked it, but I don't think she did all that much. I made a 9 x 13 pan of pudding and the entire thing was gone.

I served no gravy, only Au Jus and it worked out well. Tried a new recipe for green beans with toasted pecans and blue cheese and man, that was good! All in all, it was a great dinner, even if we did eat an hour later than originally planned. It worked out. 

Rick broke our wine opener, so we'll be looking for a new one. He managed to salvage the bottle of wine, though, so it was OK. 

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if you don't mind, a shut-out to Dear Richard. You know, I married a truly spectacular man. The support that that man gives me is wonderful. There are times when I truly don't know what I'd do without him.
LOL. A Freudian slip there? I know you meant a shout out. Happy Birthday for tomorrow & so glad you enjoyed your historical day. I want a pink knitted hat, I want a pink knitted hat!

I love Yorkshire Pudding and so does my MIL; she actually ate three pieces of pudding! :lol3:  She says that her living facility has good food, but it's pretty basic and she was really looking forward to that pudding.  
Never had it in America, but loved it in England with the Sunday roast. What did you have for dessert? The cake you were telling us about before that your friend's husband likes?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, it was supposed to be a "shout out" to Rick because, of course, he was with me every step of the way. 

I would love to have a pink knitted hat, too! I had heard people talking about the hats and it was mentioned that you could not find a skein of pink yarn anywhere in some of the towns in the US.

I don't know if Yorkshire Pudding in America is the same as what it is in England. But we love the stuff. Basically flour, milk, eggs, and salt. I used a recipe from America's Test Kitchen for the pudding, threw it into a 13 x 9-inch pan. It rose beautifully and it was so good.

Yes, I made the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake (the recipe used to be on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa container, but I don't know if it still is). It is very moist, and very chocolate-y. It's simply decadent. I made it in a 13 x 9-inch pan. And then frosted it with my whipped peanut butter frosting. You make the frosting thickener first, by mixing flour, milk, and salt in a saucepan and then bringing it to a boil. Put plastic wrap over the top of the thickener, not the pan, but right on the surface of the thickener. And let it cool down. I usually make the thickener and then make the cake.

I use butter, shortening, and peanut butter along with sugar and vanilla. Lastly, I beat in the thickener. And oh! it is so good! I put most of it on the cake and spread it out, but I always keep about 3/4 of a cup of the frosting in the bowl, just for Rick to enjoy. He loves the stuff.

It is probably my buddy's very most favorite dessert. He dearly loves this cake and frosting. I was "this" close to making a Swiss Hazelnut Layer Cake, but I couldn't do that to him. He wouldn't have said anything, but we know he would have been so disappointed. He ate three large pieces and took a couple huge hunks home with him.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yorkshire pudding ingredients sound the same. Can't for the life of me remember what container mother made it in. Vaguely remember them being circular in shape so maybe a muffin pan? Don't recall us having a muffin pan though. Doesn't matter now because I'm a vegetarian. :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah, it was supposed to be a "shout out" to Rick because, of course, he was with me every step of the way. 

I would love to have a pink knitted hat, too! I had heard people talking about the hats and it was mentioned that you could not find a skein of pink yarn anywhere in some of the towns in the US.

I don't know if Yorkshire Pudding in America is the same as what it is in England. But we love the stuff. Basically flour, milk, eggs, and salt. I used a recipe from America's Test Kitchen for the pudding, threw it into a 13 x 9-inch pan. It rose beautifully and it was so good.

Yes, I made the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake (the recipe used to be on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa container, but I don't know if it still is). It is very moist, and very chocolate-y. It's simply decadent. I made it in a 13 x 9-inch pan. And then frosted it with my whipped peanut butter frosting. You make the frosting thickener first, by mixing flour, milk, and salt in a saucepan and then bringing it to a boil. Put plastic wrap over the top of the thickener, not the pan, but right on the surface of the thickener. And let it cool down. I usually make the thickener and then make the cake.

I use butter, shortening, and peanut butter along with sugar and vanilla. Lastly, I beat in the thickener. And oh! it is so good! I put most of it on the cake and spread it out, but I always keep about 3/4 of a cup of the frosting in the bowl, just for Rick to enjoy. He loves the stuff.

It is probably my buddy's very most favorite dessert. He dearly loves this cake and frosting. I was "this" close to making a Swiss Hazelnut Layer Cake, but I couldn't do that to him. He wouldn't have said anything, but we know he would have been so disappointed. He ate three large pieces and took a couple huge hunks home with him.
So you made one big yorkie?? I always thought that they were done as individual servings but that sounds yummy. Now I want one. 

I'd eat that frosting with a spoon. No cake needed. 
 I am an odd duck I guess as I like chocolate and I like peanut butter but not together. Ever.

Yes- you are a lucky girl and he's a lucky guy. You both hit the spouse jackpot. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yorkshire pudding ingredients sound the same. Can't for the life of me remember what container mother made it in. Vaguely remember them being circular in shape so maybe a muffin pan? Don't recall us having a muffin pan though. Doesn't matter now because I'm a vegetarian. :)
Are you vegan? Something made with flour, eggs, milk, and salt is vegetarian :D.

That Hershey's cake sounds really good. . .:drool:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I am late to the party, a very Happy Birthday and many, many more. 
  Regarding the March, you go girl! 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you vegan? Something made with flour, eggs, milk, and salt is vegetarian
My post was confusing. I meant that I no longer eat Yorkshire pudding because I no longer eat meat. Of course one could, I suppose, eat the pudding anyway.

I greatly admire vegans, but do not want to go that route foodwise. It's hard enough being a vegetarian to get enough protein. And being vegan is very expensive because they wear no animal products at all.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I a glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend. :)

My BF who's from England makes Yorkshire puddings on xmas and a few other times during the year. Usually small ones in a muffin pan. No salt though. I'm vegetarian too, so he uses crisco/vegetable shortening for the fat. And they go quite well with tofurky or whatever meat substitute I've made. Good stuff!