jili

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing...

I just pulled this off of the RC website: Question:
" What are the benefits of the corn grain in Feline Nutrition Cat Foods?"

Answer:
Beside the fact that corn is extremely palatable and digestible, it provides the cat with carbohydrates, protein, and fiber and is an excellent source of linoleic acid, vitamin A and beta-carotene.

Oh heck, I don't know what to believe anymore, this is just way too confusing!

Jill

woodsygirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jili- Everyone on here has a different opinion on what the best food and food ingredients are. The truth of the matter is that if you asked 5 different experts this question you'd still get 5 different results. If you cats are doing well on Nutro, then why worry if something is a fraction better or worse? Nutro is a name brand premium food, and your cats are doing well, why change?

mamakat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, I wouldnt stress about it. As long as youre not feeding them obvious junk, its probably not too bad
Who really knows whats best? That differs between cats, so if yours are doing well on it I wouldnt worry

octoberdana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well more of Royal Canin's first 5 ingredients are meats than the Nutro Natural Choice. Also, Nutro is preserved with poultry fat. Poultry fat can be any kind of fat, I believe chicken fat is a better choice as is used by Royal Canin.

Other than that, to me the foods look similiar. At least the indoor and the Nutro NCC.

baileysidney11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought that corn, corn gluten, corn by-product were bad for cats?!!Meaning that they have no nutritional value and are poorly digested. Comments, please.

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by octoberdana
Also, Nutro is preserved with poultry fat. Poultry fat can be any kind of fat, I believe chicken fat is a better choice as is used by Royal Canin.
Nutro is'nt preserved with poultry fat...the poutlry fat is preserved with mixed tocopherols.
Poultry fat is fat from poulty its just that the type of poultry (chicken, turkey, quail, geese, ect.) used is not specified. I don't think poultry fat is a bad ingredient but I also prefer to see specific sources such as chicken fat listed.

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Baileysidney11
I thought that corn, corn gluten, corn by-product were bad for cats?!!Meaning that they have no nutritional value and are poorly digested. Comments, please.
Corn: Cooking/grinding (like what is done during the processing of pet foods) increases the digestibility of starches. The quality of the corn used would also be a factor. Personally, I don't have a problem with corn as a source of starch in higher quality pet foods.
As far as corn being poorly digested and having no nutritional value....this is just propaganda as far as I'm concerned. It does provide calories(nutritional value) but it would not if it were undigestible.

Corn gluten meal: Is the residue that is left after the removal of the starch, germ and bran from corn and is added to some pet foods as a source of protein. It is digestible but not as digestible or as well utilized as high quality animal protein. It lacks the essential amino acids lysine and tryptophan therefore it biological value is less than that of meat. I prefer not to see this ingredient in pet foods but I don't feel it is a "bad" ingredient...just a lower quality ingredient.

baileysidney11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answers on corn and other cat food ingredience. How did you guys get so smart!!! I'm impressed with the knowledge people have on this site. Have you studied cats or simply been around them for a long time? This web site is extremely helpful and informative.

jili

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, for your replies. I am enjoying this discussion and am really learning a great deal. Aimee, thank you for posting the link to the Natura site--I've spent some time there learning about various ingredients--I now know the difference between brewers rice and ground rice, and more. (I would be interested in the Innova, actually, but when I did a store search I didn't get any hits at all for my area).

I've come to the conclusion that there are less than desirable ingredients in even many premium foods. I don't think there is any one perfect formula. For the time being, I'm happy with my cats' diet, and plan to stick with it for the time being. I do plan to check out Natural Balance because I can get that around here. Otherwise, I've really put some time and effort into investigating and have found what works for us.

Woodsygirl-- on another subject, sort of--thanks for your suggestion to try the Authority canned foods. These days I'm pretty much feeding these and Nutro pouches for canned food, and Ruby and Max seem to like them. They seem like a real find for the money involved. My cats seem to eat anything, or so I thought. Last night I put out the Turkey and Rice for them, and they wouldn't touch it! I couldn't believe it, that was a first. But there are several other varieties which they will eat, and I feel good about feeding them. Thanks for letting me know about these-- I wouldn't have given them a second look otherwise.

Jill

brandihudson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have looked at the ingrediant labels on countless cat foods and I know that nothing with animal by-products or with guar gum listed is healthy. by-products are disgusting and i feel that if i wouldnt eat it i don't want my pet eating it. also, guar gum is just an additive that the compaines use so they can strech their products to make a better profit.

I have to say I am dissapointed in Newman's Own for not having high food standards in my opinion. Also. Chicken Soup is one. Some of the others I havent checked out.

I can say INNOVA is excelant and even though they are not on PETA's list I know that they do test their foods humanely on pets they rescue.

Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lover

The best food's to feed your cat are:

Natural Balance

Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul

GO! Natural

Solid Gold

Foundations

Organix (Ultramix in America)

Newman's Own Organics

Evolve

Felidae

Innova (was accused of false advertising)

California Natural

Wellness

brandihudson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if you know of the cruelty that IAMs gives to their test animals. They are one of the most inhumane companies. If you can, please feed your animals something else. There are good foods out there that are humane.
Originally Posted by Melissa

I tried Purina ONE with my kitties, and found it made Onyx's skin dryness worse, so they are back on Iams and doing wonderfully. Happy cats=happy me

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lover

The best food you can buy at PetsMart is Royal Canin. They have many different formulas, so it's easy to find the best one for your cat. It's just the big pet stores that don't sell great food, like PetsMart, Petco and Petcetera. Any other pet store has super premium cat food!
Royal Canin is loaded with corn in most formulas... not to metion some chemicals I wont put into my body as well as cellulose..there sensible choice line I beleive has only corn gluten which I am finding to be better than wheat , barley and even dairy. You need to read labels closer.. the only non corn that I know of from RC is the senior for over 15 yrs... Not all pet stores have really premium foods either ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by octoberdana

Well more of Royal Canin's first 5 ingredients are meats than the Nutro Natural Choice. Also, Nutro is preserved with poultry fat. Poultry fat can be any kind of fat, I believe chicken fat is a better choice as is used by Royal Canin.

Other than that, to me the foods look similiar. At least the indoor and the Nutro NCC.
nutro claims poultry fat as a protection for them and us consuimers... see if your cat is allergic to turkey fat and by some chance the "poultry fat" on the label had a .01% you wouldnt feed it but if it said chn fat which legally it could on Nutros products you might... I asked that exact ?? at a recent meeting

Oh by the way I am not found of One though if it the best you can get in your area there are worse foods///

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for animal testing the only brand I use that hasnt tested the food on the species eating it is natural balance and the just dont use affco procedures ... instead they use breeder s .. so at least I know the food given to the animals can sustain an animal .. canned food I will use one that hasnt tested it just cause only about half the brands made by decent companies test the wet foods... I may not like feeding trials but if it protects my babies which it does it is a reasonable thing to do.. Plus anything put out by peta doesnt impress me or hold much h2o

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte

I switched from Purina Cat Chow to Purina ONE Chicken and Rice around Thanksgiving time. This forumla lists chicken as the #1 ingredient compared to the other Purina ONE formulas which didn't seem much different than the Cat Chow. My cat used to eat at least 1 cup/day of Cat Chow (386 kcal). With Purina ONE, she only eats 1/2 cup/day (226 Kcal). She's actually eating fewer calories now too and is not gaining weight. Her hair is also softer and has has more shine. Some people don't consider Purina ONE a premium food (probably because you can buy it at a grocery store), but I definitely think it's an improvement over Cat Chow for the same money spent.
I agree!!!

I switched all of my furbabies from Purina Kitten chow to Purina One Kitten. It comes in a green tub. It says it is formulated with DHA. Real Chicken is the #1 ingredient!!! I have noticed alot of good changes in my cats since the switch. I highly reccomend it!!!

~SARAH~

meiam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chixyb

We have 9 cats so we can't pay a lot of money on food, I have found that every single one of them absolutely loves Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula (it is in the green bag). They also love Blue Buffalo but that stuff is super duper expensive!
i use the indoor formula too, and my cats love it, and i've never had any problems, plus i only pay $8.99 for an 18 pound bag!...with all the mouths i have to feed it's all i can afford,

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte
I switched from Purina Cat Chow to Purina ONE Chicken and Rice around Thanksgiving time. This forumla lists chicken as the #1 ingredient compared to the other Purina ONE formulas which didn't seem much different than the Cat Chow. My cat used to eat at least 1 cup/day of Cat Chow (386 kcal). With Purina ONE, she only eats 1/2 cup/day (226 Kcal). She's actually eating fewer calories now too and is not gaining weight. Her hair is also softer and has has more shine. Some people don't consider Purina ONE a premium food (probably because you can buy it at a grocery store), but I definitely think it's an improvement over Cat Chow for the same money spent.

I agree!!!

I switched all of my furbabies from Purina Kitten chow to Purina One Kitten. It comes in a green tub. It says it is formulated with DHA. Real Chicken is the #1 ingredient!!! I have noticed alot of good changes in my cats since the switch. I highly reccomend it!!!

~SARAH~ _____________
I made that post over a year and a half ago. I switched to Wysong Vitality Dry when it became available at the pet store. My cats have been eating it for almost one year now.

ryobious

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my 6 cats and all of my (currently 6) foster cats Hills Science Diet. I think it is worth the price. I pay about $25 for the big big bag and it usually lasts me 2-3 weeks. I just don't go out to eat twice a month when I would like to and then have the $$. I want the best for them.