So I Sort Of Committed To A New Baby Bengal Today!

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already have a resident Bengal. She is 4. Velcro cat. She is busy and I feel she is bored. She has 4 trees and a cat wall. She is leash trained. She has a catio. Now she’s getting a baby brother :hyper:

This one is from a different breeder. She feels he will be an excellent fit. She said he is more passive and just wants to be with people. The breeder my girl came from has retired or else I would have gotten another from her she is so awesome.

I hope you guys are ready for the 10000 questions! He comes on Wednesday. He is 12 weeks old.

I just hope it doesn’t wreck my perfect zen going on in my house as far as animal relationships.

So how does it work with a kitten? Confine him and do the room swapping etc? How long? What’s to be expected getting a kitten? I’ve only ever had adult cats....

I will send pics... the ones I have are not watermarked from the breeder so she prefers I don’t share them online. He is a silver snow lynx. My girl is the standard glittery brown. He is a F4 and so is my current girl.

I’m going between excited and committing myself :lol:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your soon-to-be new kitten! The introduction should be slow and gradual, and start by keeping your new kitten in one room and scent swapping, before graduating to having the cats meet each other through a glass door or baby gate. Be sure to take your kitten to the vet for a checkup before having the cats meet. It’s usually easier to introduce a kitten to an adult cat than it is two adult cats. I’ll attach a helpful article.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Kittens are more energetic than adult cats, and they’re still growing, so you should feed him a food formulated specifically for kittens or for “all life stages” to ensure that he gets the nutrients he needs to grow into a strong, healthy young cat. Kittens also have more of a tendency to get into things than adult cats, so give this article a read before bringing him home: Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Since you’re getting your new kitten from a breeder, he will most likely already be litterbox trained and well-socialized. You should still get another litterbox (or two); the general rule of thumb is one per cat plus one, so that the cats don’t feel like they have to compete over resources. Also, continuing to socialize him will be important, so invite friends over to play and cuddle with him. Getting to meet and interact with lots of people as a kitten will help your new kitty grow into a well-adjusted, friendly cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I’m thinking I will set him up in my spare room. I will put a box in there, a cat tree and his own bed. There are already tons of toys here! I’ll get him some kitten dry but he will eat mainly wet like my other girl.

My house is 2 levels so I’m going to have to set him up downstairs.

I will take him to the vet once he gets here. At what age do I neuter him?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Your vet will let you know what they recommend for neutering at his appointment, but it is usually done around 4 months. Kittens can be fixed as early as 6 weeks according to this article: When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to start harness training him now, while he is in his room. So you can take him on walks as a kitten, to meet more people. Plus if it takes a while to get your girl to accept him, he can burn off his energy outside.

:celebrate: Congrats on your new kitten! :banana1:

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Next question- is it better to get all new stuff for him so it’s his own? I already have so many toys, trees and an extra litter box in storage. All this stuff already smells like resident cat... is that a good thing, or bad thing?

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I already have a resident Bengal. She is 4. Velcro cat. She is busy and I feel she is bored. She has 4 trees and a cat wall. She is leash trained. She has a catio. Now she’s getting a baby brother :hyper:

This one is from a different breeder. She feels he will be an excellent fit. She said he is more passive and just wants to be with people. The breeder my girl came from has retired or else I would have gotten another from her she is so awesome.

I hope you guys are ready for the 10000 questions! He comes on Wednesday. He is 12 weeks old.

I just hope it doesn’t wreck my perfect zen going on in my house as far as animal relationships.

So how does it work with a kitten? Confine him and do the room swapping etc? How long? What’s to be expected getting a kitten? I’ve only ever had adult cats....

I will send pics... the ones I have are not watermarked from the breeder so she prefers I don’t share them online. He is a silver snow lynx. My girl is the standard glittery brown. He is a F4 and so is my current girl.

I’m going between excited and committing myself :lol:
Awww I'm excited for you. Can you please post of your resident bengal I love bengals have you thought of any names.you must be beyond excited

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8B3D763E-74BA-4DC1-A2BF-6265E8474D3F.jpeg
My girl is Luna(tic).... I’ve given up trying to keep her off the banister :headshake:

I Have a name picked out and will post when he arrives.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitty, Tillybug Tillybug ! Your Luna is gorgeous, too.

When we got Juniper, we did not buy her all her own toys and other items. Our Gwen had died recently, so we just cleaned off all of her stuff (cat tree, litter box, toys, scratchers, etc.) and had Juniper use them. Juniper didn't seem intimidated by them, but who knows? Maybe she was anxiously waiting for the mystery cat that she smelled to come and reclaim her stuff....

We did give everything a very generous spritz of catnip spray, so that may have helped. And of course your situation is a little different since Luna is still with you.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone! Very exciting times!

I have changed my mind on which kitten I am getting. After many chats with the breeder and friends that do a ton with rescues and match personalities etc I have decided to get a brown baby instead of the lynx. The lynx we fear will be too passive for jungle cat #1. This kitten is same breeder, same litter. His momma is a charcoal so he is much darker then Luna and is copper like a penny!

Pictures will come on Wednesday once he gets here! He has a very long journey poor dude.....