So I Made A Couple Of Terrible Mistakes...

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't even know of that's the right thread. So I just picked up a very small kitten off the street, roughly 50 days old, according to the vet, and I got him cleaned and fed. Now he's asleep. But there's a huge problem.

I forgot to get some litter. It's really late now, is it safe to leave him without litter through the night? He's currently sleeping on a little stool thing because he wouldn't sleep anywhere else, and I wouldn't want to squish him on the bed.

What can I do? It was very impulsive when I picked him up and took him home, so I really don't prepare at all.

And yes, I made sure I didn't separate him from his mum. Supposedly, some people had a pregnant cat but they didn't want the babies so they dumped them. Winter's coming and he wouldn't survive it otherwise.

I fed him boiled potato. Vet's advice. He really liked it.
IMG_20180929_214616.jpg

His name is Tony.

Also he refuses to sleep anywhere other than my bed

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also Tony won't sleep anywhere other than on the bed, which is a problem because I move a lot in my sleep. I can't sleep because of him very well and I've had a long day and I have a longer day ahead. Its 2 am and I just woke him up to feed him. He knows where the water is but won't drink, but he's eating potatoes with an appetite. He certainly isn't very playful... Yet.

I'm considering having him sleep in the carrier beside me, would that be okay? He's currently in my lap purring. But he isn't sleeping yet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As soon as you can, take a look at the links in my post above.
By the way, Potatoes are not nutritionally complete.

Make a nest on the floor with a heating pad set on low and a couple of towels over it so it doesn't get too warm.
Give Tony a clock that ticks, if it's too loud muffle it with a towel wrapped around it.

Try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

here's another Pedialyte recipe;
1 quart water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Emergency Kitty Formulat Recipes

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
heating pad
I don't know where I can find heating pads in my country, and it's nearly 3 am. When I had turtles, I'd microwave the towel for a few seconds to warm it up. I do have a clock that ticks.

Potatoes are just today's special meal. I'll get him proper cat food in the morning. There are lots of other issues too because my family loves planning behind my back, so apparently we're travelling for a few days and we're leaving at 6. I'll make sure that whoever keeps Tony gets him the right food.

I'll check out the links, thanks!

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bad. The heated towels and clock thing didn't work. I feel like I shouldn't have taken him in. He scares me. I look into his eyes and I see nothing. When he looks at me it almost feels like he wants to kill me. He's very calm and stares a lot. Like, he stares at nothing a lot. He walks very slowly.

He makes me immensely uncomfortable. I don't believe in demons and magic and whatnot, but something about little Tony just feels off. Almost like a wolf in sheep's clothing. He's giving me the butterflies. Is that normal?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, but you haven't gotten much sleep either.
While you're gone can you have someone take him to the vet?

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Darkiplier Darkiplier
He's probably scared and hungry.
You can use any shredded paper for kitty litter. Any dirt, sand or mulch from outside will work.
Temporary litter box can be a cardboard box lined with foil, an aluminum foil-type baking pan or even a plain box you can throw away.

Do you have any plain cooked or canned meat in the house? Goat's milk or plain yogurt? Meat baby food? Canned chicken or tuna?

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, but you haven't gotten much sleep either.
While you're gone can you have someone take him to the vet?
Yeah, I like him again now that I've had some sleep. Whoever is gonna keep him will take him to the vet and I'll pay them back later.

Darkiplier Darkiplier
He's probably scared and hungry.
You can use any shredded paper for kitty litter. Any dirt, sand or mulch from outside will work.
Temporary litter box can be a cardboard box lined with foil, an aluminum foil-type baking pan or even a plain box you can throw away.

Do you have any plain cooked or canned meat in the house? Goat's milk or plain yogurt? Meat baby food? Canned chicken or tuna?
I have none of these except for tuna, but the vet told me to avoid fish for a while so I'm not quite sure about it. I can get him plain yoghurt. I've got raw meat that I can cut into small peaces and just boil.

Neither one of us could sleep so I put the warm towels in his carrier and I leaned the clock against it and left him there. He didn't meow at all and fell asleep quickly. He's still sleeping.

I'll try putting some shredded paper.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave him shredded paper but he'd already popped on the ground and I feel horrible. He's still walking very awkwardly and has a very weak meow. He follows everyone around then sits at our feet. He currently went back into his carrier. He looks extremely weak and exhausted, and honestly, so am I.

I might leave him at a very neat pet shop for a few days till I come back. This whole thing is way too messy. But that's okay. We'll figure everything out.

Edit: is this yogurt good enough?
IMG_20180930_103945.jpg

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has to have a proper diet, it sounds like he is getting very weak. Please put some dirt in a low cut box for a litter box, and give him a scrambled egg, tuna, or any kind of cut up lunch meat, canned meat, etc. He needs protein and meat. Hot dogs work good. The way he is sounding, the tuna needs to be tried. Kittens eat a huge amount and shouldn't be given less then what they want, and fed many times a day, no limit, until a year old. Kittens should nOT be staring, or moving slowly, or have a weak meow. He needs warmth, liquids, and all the food he can eat. He is making you feel uncomfortable, because you sense something is wrong. Please get the poor little thing some care, he needs contact and love right now. Earning a cat's love is one of life's greatest joys!

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I left him at the pet shop for a couple of weeks to feed him properly and get him vaccinated. I didn't feed him tuna because the vet said it might be harmful at such a young age. I take back all the bad things I said about him; I wasn't uncomfortable because of him, but frustrated at my own impulsiveness... I miss him a lot.
IMG_20180930_111554.jpg

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently looking for a new and suitable home for him, as it turns out I can't keep him; after all, I'm just a young boy who lives with his parents.

I'll keep him at the pet shop until I can find him a proper home, as he can provide him with better care than I can,at least for now. I never knew I'd get such a young cat so soon, but an older cat is easier to prepare for and take care of. Should I be able to take bring him home, I'll make sure to give him as much as he needs.

The shredded paper didn't work and he just peed on my bed instead, but I don't mind.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi darkiplier, I congratulate you on your change of attitude towards your lovely kitten Tony. He is very young and has not yet developped his own personality, a personality that you must accept like we all do with our kittens if we want to win their trust and affection.
Have you been able to get the wet kitten food and dry kitten kibble for him?
Tony is a lovely looking kitten. Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darkiplier, I wrote my above post in reply to your post 15 before realizing there was a new post from you. I'm sorry you are not able to keep Tony but I know you will ensure he will be adopted in a suitable home. He is a lucky kitten to have been taken off the streets by you. I am sure that one day when you are older you will be the happy owner of a deserving kitten.

Last edited: