So I got a new kitten

bmwm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here I was thinking I was getting a normal kitten at 10 this morning. So the guy hands her to me saying she is special and shows me this......

The first two are her back paw. The right one I believe, but the left is just the same, same with her front paws. The only difference on her front paws is that one of them has an extra claw that I am going to have removed. But other than that she has 10 toes and "fingers" (front paws)

So question is.... Is this something to worry about? What causes this?

But I guess intro's are due. My name is Matt, I live in Mojave Ca. I have another cat named Tomou that is black and white. I can post pics tomorrow of him. I also have 2 dogs, one named Xael ( He is my Gf's dog) and one is named snow. Snow I got for Christmas last year as a little white puffball and Xael we got about 4 months before that. Tomou I found last year out side when I first got into CA. He live with me in my motel for 3 weeks before I got an actual place.

All 4 are healthy as can be I have just never seen a cat have 10 toes on the back and front and it actually look like she was supposed to have them. I have seen a cat with a paw that had 10 toes as well as dogs, one of my friend had one with 11 toes. The extra 3 toes were on one paw......

But with her, like I said, I have never seen extra toes be so uniform between all 4 paws on an animal. Needless to say her paws are HUGE for her size. She is only 2mo old, and the guy I got her from said that the whole litter was this way. So she wasn't the only one.

Thoughts?
Thank you,
Matt

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You adopted a polydactl! Congrats on your new kitten!

Its just a non-serious congenital defect. You will want to take care that the claws on that foot are kept tightly trimmed, as these cats are prone to poking themselves as the claws grow and curl into the neighboring toes.

Other than that, its no bigs!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TCS Matt!
Looking forward to seeing more pics

If you have any questions about finding your way around the forum, please feel free to send me a PM

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new family member!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmwm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well Thank you all for the welcome

Hmm that is interesting. I will definitely keep her nails trimmed
I finally got her to go in a litter box as well
The first time she went to the bathroom was on the floor. I told my GF to pick it up and put it in the cat box and show it to her. But on with the pics, Sorry I didn't get to it yesterday :/

Here is Snow when we got her as a white puffball.

This is Snow now

This is Xael

This is Tomou

I still have to take some of the new kitten, I have just been busy recently. Getting ready to move

Edit: Fixing pic sizes
Edit 2: Done

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your gorgeous fur-family to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmwm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. Thank you for the warm welcome
Sorry I haven`t been able to post a pic of the kitten. We are in the middle of moving so i dont have the internet right now
I will hopefully soon tho.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing to worry about at all. I have a Pixie Bob that is polydactlyl on all 4 feet. She has an extra toe on each back paw and 2 extra toes on each front paw. I love her big feet