So...I am irritated...and he doesnt know why....

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is one of a 5 boys and 1 girl family growing up.
They all have their own lives and most have families now.

The thing that gets me is, MY husband is the only one who apparently knows how to fix anything. He is an electrician, a plumber, heating and air, etc.....
And instead of calling a repairman, they call here.
He never asks for a dime from any of them. "It's my family" he says.
But let him start a project and need some help......
they are all too busy.
Then he lends his truck out too!!
Last time it came back with the clutch gone out.
Did they mention it when they brought it back? No, not a word.
Offer to help?? NADDA, nothin'!!
He spent the next couple of days putting in a NEW clutch BY HIMSELF.
Really P***es me off sometimes!!!
I really think they take advantage of him somtimes.
He doesn't seem to mind helping them.
The truck thing finally p***ed him off though.
Next time they asked to borrow it he actually did tell him he had to buy the new clutch and put it in. Do you think they apologized?? NOPE,
and they didn't try to come get the truck either.
It wouldn't be so bad if they returned the favor once in a while. Geeshh!

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by diane8704

So...heres the story.....my husband is a mechanic for Department of Defense. Well, hes good at what he does. He likes what he does. The problem is that because hes a good mechanic....everybody comes to him when they have car troubles. Which is fine. Hes a charitable guy, and I dont care. BUT...its really starting to get to me when he spends ALL day working on someones car, and doesnt get paid for it. This was an issue before we got married, and its an issue now. I am sorry, but it costs anywhere from $800-$1500 to get a transmission replaced, and hes doing it FOR FREE. UGH! So, this afternoon, after 2 weeks of being jerked around, his brothers room-mate finally gets her car there...he tells her whats wrong with it, and fixes it, and doesnt charge her anything!!
I think that working on family and close friends cars for free is one thing...but working on someones car that only talks to you when its broken...that gets under my skin. He deserves to be paid something, especially when hes saving a person a huge amount of money. He doesnt lie either. He tells you straight whats wrong with it.
So, I was a little irritated when he told me he didnt charge anything. We certainly could use the money. And its a constant thing..."Jeremy...look at my car..." and hes gone. Gone to do it.
I dont know. Maybe its the fact that I feel like they are taking advantage of him. Hmm....am I being unreasonably irritated???
OOOOH!! I know exactly how you feel. Everyone calls my husband for help all the time. Need a roof replaced, car worked on, fence put up, gutters replaced........anything!!!!!
What gets under my skin more that not being paid is the fact that NOBODY helps him with our projects AND.......he never does our projects b/c "he needs help". Every time they call I tell him, "Remember we have such and such to do? Tell them to come help you with this and THEN you'll help them."

I hope it gets better for you. I've been married 8 years and nothing has changed here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say that it is a little annoying when its family and they want your help, but when you need help, they are nowhere to be found. It may not get any better. But I think what gets to me the most is that he thinks I am unreasonably irritated with him. And hes the victim....NO, thats me. Doing all of the cleaning, all of cooking, etc...
My Dad's family did that once. His brother borrowed his truck....and SMOKED in it. My Dad is not a smoker. My Dad is terminally ill with a lung disease. His brother knew it...and smoked in his truck anyways. It came back with a miss in the engine as well.
Its ridiculous how some people are constantly takers when there should be an equal amount of give and take, huh?
As of right now, things seem to be evening out with us. For now. Wait until Friday when he works on his brothers room mates car. If he doesnt get paid....all bets are off.