So funny, this just occurred to me...

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never had a KITTEN before. Really. I've always adopted older cats.

I was watching Kairi do his kitten pouncing on stuff and falling over routine, then his arching up and sideways dance at the bad kitten in the mirror, then watching him try to follow me up the stairs, and it occurred to me...

"I've never seen this stuff in my house before".

It never occurred to me, in my life, to seek out a cat-they always came into my life through various avenues. Jethro (first cat) was a one year old that my father found at the farmers market he had a booth at. She had been sleeping in the hats and he brought her home. She was a very small, maybe 7 pounds, black cat. She lived 12 years.

My next cat, "Puss" (name originally Cagney) was a cat I adopted from my school. He was a lab cat, that we practiced various procedures on, and even when restrained during an EKG, he purred like he was just grateful for the attention. When we were done with the cats, I brought him home. He was a HUGE tan tabby, already 6 years old, and lived for another 5. He was my heart cat. He knew when I had a problem and had true empathy.

Then I took some time off of cats to raise my kids, then we got Pumpkin. There is a lady that rescues cats around the corner, my son and I saw her with Pumpkin in a pet shop, the kitty immediately took to my little guy who was 1 and change at the time, so she came home with me. She was about 9 pounds and black with a white smile on her belly, and a white patch on her chest. I still miss her.

Now we have this little puff ball, and I see the charm of the kitten. No different love because of his size and age, but just really funny how I realized that.

Thanks for reading about my epiphany.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on discovering all the joys of kittenhood!

Our Whisper had her last litter in a clothesbasket in our bedroom; she gave birth to five kittens. And I can tell you that that period was one of the happiest times of our lives. We so enjoyed watching those babies grow (we kept three of the five, but lost one of the three to pneumonia). We still have two of the "kittens" and they are now 15 years old! It was truly incredible to be able to share our lives with these guys.

We got Mollipop last year when she was seven weeks old and, even though she went through the terrible twos (tearing drywall off the walls, tearing papers, etc.), she was a joy. And now we get to do it all over again with Tabitha this year as she only about six weeks old now!

Enjoy Kairi and his antics.....your little baby will grow up way, way too fast!

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had plenty of kittens. Bella was my first adult cat. After having her in my heart/life I swore that I would always get adult cats. So mellow and snuggly. Yummy.
Then came Turtle, less than 2 years old, she's not a kitten any more
BUT she doesn't know that!! She still does that side way kitty jump you talked about. And is always chasing invisible intruders through the apartment; falling off of coffee tables, and chairs. Running on the kitchen tile and sliding into walls when she can't stop. I'm like the over protective mother. I'm always hovering over her, making sure she doesn't hurt herself.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We didn't choose any of our kitties either - they all came to us. But four of the 8 came as kitties.

Honestly... I'm not sure I'd have the energy for one right now!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try having 2 kittens! When we got the sisters, they were 7 weeks old. It was so cute to watch them play with each other.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittenhood is a lot of fun, they have so much energy!