so frustrated :(

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have two cats about 5 years old. one is extremely needy and jealous and i have always been the one that mainly gives him attention. for the past couple of months he has been spraying in the basement due to a neighbourhood cat my husband feeds and pets. we are almost positive this is why as the cat has even sprayed on hubby's dirty clothes that are down in the basement waiting to be washed. as of yet, nothing of mine has been touched. i have told dh to stop interacting with this cat as it is pissing ours off and he refuses. we are both huge animal lovers so i get it, but i am tired of the basement smelling like pee!!! NOW with a new baby around, him and the other cat are constantly puking as well as peeing in the basement and occaisonally pooping outside their litter box. i am soooo sick of it! the puking is one thing, but the pee smells horrible! dh is not much help either he just yells at them. i have told him several times it is useless to do so and give them more attention. he has been, but it's not as much as i was giving the baby came and even then it seemed like never enough. i washed the basement floor with vinegar which helped, but i don't think he will stop. please help i really don't want to get rid of him i have had him since he was 8 months and i don't want to separate him from his brother, but we can't keep doing this

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, washing the floor with vinegar did nothing. You need an enzyme cleaner, because the cats can still smell the spots where they peed and pooped before, and they'll go right back to those spots.

Also, if your husband is an animal lover, he should continue to feed the other cat, but NOT pet it. That way, he's giving the cat what it needs, without indulging himself (because thats really all that his petting is doing) and pissing off your cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you won't "get rid" of him
. He needs to be taken to the vet, as he most likely is sick. Stress causes illness, especially urinary tract illnesses such as infections or crystals. Both very painful conditions.

Your boy needs to be taken to the vet.

I'm not clear on something....are they kept down in the basement at all times, after having the run of the house all their lives? This is not necessary, if this is what you have been doing, cats and babies can live in the same house together quite well, and I would imagine both cats would be feeling a lot of stress if this is what has happened.

Oh and remind your husband that the stray cat may have some disease that can be passed on to the house cats. I don't think he should stop feeding him either, but if he is going to pet the stray he needs to wash up really well and change his clothes before interacting with the other cats.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or better yet, since neighborhood cat is regularly getting fed by your husband you two should spay/neuter and vaccinate it. This way you have no kitten surprises to worry about.

You said that both of your cats are vomiting a lot? They need to go to the vet for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm not clear on something....are they kept down in the basement at all times, after having the run of the house all their lives? This is not necessary, if this is what you have been doing, cats and babies can live in the same house together quite well, and I would imagine both cats would be feeling a lot of stress if this is what has happened.
no, they go in the basement at night and this has always been the case, but their food, litter etc is down there so it is like their "area"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Actually, washing the floor with vinegar did nothing. You need an enzyme cleaner, because the cats can still smell the spots where they peed and pooped before, and they'll go right back to those spots.
what kind of cleaner?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others that a trip to the vet may be in both cat's best interest. Medical problems are often a lot easier to solve than behavioral ones and with a new baby (congratulations!) your time is better spent elsewhere!

Vinegar does work but an enzyme cleaner works too. I use vinegar because it's cheap but if that hasn't stopped the problem a good enzyme cleaner will help get rid of the odor and possibly stop the urination if it's a behavior problem.